CHAPTER 10 - New Home, Safe Haven

*****

A YEAR AGO BEFORE THE APOCALYPSE

Eden is at her new place which is at the top of a bare rooftop of an abandoned constructed apartment building.

It looks like time had passed by for a few months since she had finished setting up her new place and there is camping equipment on the side and steel poles with cloth blankets and tarp to cover overhead in protection from the weather or protection during the night to hide from view. They can also be used to cover and surround the rooftop during the night to block her and shelter her from sight in the rooftop from others that might be able to see her on the top if ever the chance.

Eden looked around again at the grand city view and scenery before her even though it was the apocalypse, and then she looked to her large camping tent which is her space with portable cooking equipment beside it and one handmade medium-sized table and folding chairs which are on one side corner of the rooftop and the other side corner is the watchers' nest lookout where there is a chair and small table with binoculars on top of it and sniper rifle.

Eden nodded in satisfaction at this and she walked straight to her tent and went inside and then took out her journal from her backpack that's inside the tent there was also a rolled-up sleeping bag and other necessities or short supplies inside it.

She opened her journal and went to write another entry in it as if starting a new chapter to write the story of her survival in staying in the city alone. She came out of the tent as she writes, going over to the watch nest, and sat down to keep a lookout for enemies or dangers as well as she was writing.

*****

JOURNAL ENTRY: DAY UNKNOWN, 3RD MONTH MARCH, YEAR 2XXX

Wow. It's unbelievable how much time had already passed.

Though I tried to mark the days as they passed by, I tend to lose track of my time whenever I get so busy doing what I had to do to make my new home, which I'm calling and naming "Safe Haven", livable and suitable for my stay here in the city and survive.

I may not know what this day exactly is, but I can still keep track of the months passing by.

Anyway, the Safe Haven is in an abandoned halfway-constructed apartment building with a flat rooftop. It's only installed with a simple fire escape emergency ladder and not the usual escape staircases like other buildings. The constructors probably didn't have time to rebuild it again ever since the apocalypse started.

Since the entrances and exits on the ground floor of this abandoned building have been blocked off by the construction's avalanche of fallen debris and concrete from before on the rise of the zombie apocalypse, the only way in and out is by climbing the ladder. Though it is newly built and sturdy, it is quite dangerous to climb since it's just a simple ladder with no protective spiral steel railings on it to prevent the climber from accidentally falling off it.

Even though other entrances and exits have been blocked off by the many various debris around the building, I should start preparing and working on another one of the important survival rules for my safe place.

RULE # 14: Protect your place, by any means possible.

I should start planning and making up homemade traps and others similar to that. To fortify the Safe Haven much more secure and safer from zombies and other enemies roaming around and about.

I'm thinking maybe I should try making up and inventing traps I have seen from a few home-alone kinds of movies and create them into reality.

Still, the place I'm in is useful for me anyway and I'm not worried about any possible intruders at the moment right then and there, since the abandoned building is only about three stories high and not too attention-like more than the urban high-rise types of the city.

I've set up my space as a comfortable home-like you're living the outdoor life and used and set up camping equipment which is the majority of it. There is the big camping tent with my stuff inside, and portable cooking and camping equipment out and besides it.

Then in another corner by the rooftop, I also made and set up a watch nest and look out for zombies and hostile enemies. There are a chair and table with a sniper rifle and binoculars on top of the surface.

As for the car, it is parked on the main ground below, right next to the escape ladder and it was hidden from sight and kept safe from any stray survivor that might want to hijack it.

After finished setting up my home base on the rooftop, I'm planning to write down the various floor plans I'm going to make use of and build for my survival here staying alone in the city. In addition to the plans, I'm preparing to makeup, those are the traps intended for intruders.

What are those you might ask?

Of course, to survive, even though I have stocks and piles of food, water, supplies, and weapons that are already in the storage units I placed them safely and kept them hidden from one floor below the rooftop, via an indoor staircase roof access that's there is also in the top of the building.

You also need to have more like an indoor greenhouse to plant and garden crops of fruits and vegetables, clean bath space, and water filtration units.

I'll get to that sooner as I write this down but right now I'm bringing this journal along with me and climbing down the indoor staircase which is also already built in this abandoned building and it's stable still and sturdy too, that's there is also to access on the roof.

For while I was writing this and doing lookout at the same time, I caught sight of the group of evolved fast-running zombies that are about to come towards the direction of my Safe Haven and I need to go down below on the lower floors to hide from sight.

I don't have time to put up the poles and surround the rooftop with the large cloths and tarps for the zombies are coming fast so I'll need to hurry.

I know you're probably wondering about the kind of zombies that has erupted from the zombie outbreak and initiated the apocalypse. Well, I'll be writing that down later of the zombie knowledge I had obtained during those three months for I need to hurry up and hide before one of those eaters catches sight of me.

This is Eden temporarily signing off for the moment.

Still alive and surviving to live on.

*****

Eden shuts her journal quick with the pen bookmarked inside, putting it under her arm, grabs the rifle, binoculars, and ready-packed backpack, and then almost sprints in a running hurry as she runs down the indoor staircase of the building and went down one floor to go through and enter another floor right below the rooftop where she can still be able to look outside the building, just in case.

She pushes through the door and went to an abandoned room that also views outside from a high point of view and then sets up her inner watchers' nest lookout, setting up space, preparing, and being ready.

She sat down on a folding chair that was there and sets up near ragged curtains-covered windows and then readies the sniper rifle gun to aim and shoot. Eden already placed her backpack and binoculars beside her as she focused and looked through the scope, keeping a vigilant eye out for the incoming zombies that are about to be heading in the direction where she is.

Eden has been living in her new home, the Safe Haven for only a few months, but it looks like she's not going to let anything else, including the approaching zombies out there, drive her out and away from it and force her to leave.

She gripped tight at the sniper rifle as she readied herself and prepared to shoot when necessary.

*****

*****