CHAPTER 2 - First Days

*****

Eden just lies down on her sleeping bag inside her tent, a flickering candle providing a dim light beside her as she flipped the pages of her journal in the beginning first pages to where she had written her first entries from when the zombie apocalypse began, how it started, and when it started.

Eden's gaze was almost distant as she read the written entries again as she remembered those dark horrific times that happened so suddenly a year before.

She decided to write another entry to her recent one, reached for her pen that was there beside the candle, and despite the low dim light, she can see very well to read and write even in the dark.

*****

JOURNAL ENTRY: DAY UNKNOWN, 8TH MONTH AUGUST, 2XXX

Hey, it's me again, Eden.

I had to write this down just so you can get the idea of how long has it been since I had remembered when, where, and how this apocalypse all began.

It had all happened and started so suddenly that anyone including me wouldn't have expected it at all or was even prepared for it.

It was just a year ago that it all began.

Starting the first days when I first moved into this city, thinking that this place might be the chance I'm looking to have a normal life. Me finding and living in a simple apartment, searching and working in a normal job, and so on as normal and simple like that.

But I didn't know that everything was going to change.

Just go to the beginning.

And you'll understand.

*****

Eden finished writing, put her pen aside, and then flipped to the first pages again, reading the first entries once more before the candle goes out and she goes to sleep peacefully for another night.

Her mind wandered off as she read her first written entries again, remembering those times.

*****

A YEAR AGO BEFORE THE APOCALYPSE

Eden was so happy that she felt like screaming with joy as she finally put the last storage box into the storage room inside her new and cheap apartment she's now living in, after moving into the metropolitan city.

She looked around at her space which is already filled with furniture and stuff and decently made up in a simple homely appearance.

She was happy with this kind of simple set-up for she isn't like most people who wanted to decorate in a fancy or messy way.

Once she double-checks everything and saw that everything is all fixed up and fitted to her satisfaction, she went straight towards her desk where a newly-bought big book is at the top and a new pen is there beside it.

She opened it, almost caressing her new personal item like it was a treasure, and then started writing on the first blank page.

*****

JOURNAL ENTRY: 1ST DAY, 1ST MONTH JANUARY, 2XXX

Hi! This is Eden, the new owner, and writer of this new journal.

I just moved here into the metropolitan city. But I will not write here exactly where and who I am, because if ever I lost this book somewhere in the city whenever and wherever I bring it along, I'd rather not have some stranger find out even if it's a kind Samaritan one or something.

There are plenty of other journals in the world obviously, so it's not a loss that I lost this one, even if it's like a diary to me.

It's not like I don't care if someone did read what's inside it since it's just some random stuff I write in here about what I'm doing in my life, what my thoughts are, and venting out my frustrations.