CHAPTER 12 - The Greenhouse and Water Units

*****

A YEAR AGO BEFORE THE APOCALYPSE

Eden was down inside the abandoned apartment building, looking and checking over the rooms where she had placed, built, and made up the greenhouse, water units, bathrooms, and storage units with the materials she had used on hand and designed in her mind.

She looked over them one more time with satisfaction over her work before she walked to the room where she used it before as a zombie watch and sniper perch.

She sat down on her chair and checked and made sure that she had binoculars and her sniper rifle at the ready before she reached for her journal that was left on the table with snacks and water bottles also there.

She opened the journal and tapped her pen a bit softly, looking thoughtful over something before she went on writing.

*****

JOURNAL ENTRY: DAY UNKNOWN, 5TH MONTH MAY, YEAR 2XXX

Hey, it's me again.

I've been busy setting up my indoor greenhouse, water units for drinking clean water, bathing and cleaning, and storage units for the food, supplies, and weapons.

It took at least two months to get this done, and it wasn't hard considering you need it simply just to survive while living in an apocalyptic city.

The kind of materials I've been using are just necessities to set up these endeavors I have made and done.

And those are recyclables.

It's amazing what you can come up with, considering you put your inventive and creative mind to it. Along with watching some previous video clips or manual hacks from the internet before the world collapsed into chaos.

It was fortunate for me that I noted it all down and memorized them from what I can store up in my head.

Right, I'm rambling on again. I'll have to make this short and brief, considering I'm on watch and look out for any zombies or hostile enemies that might come approaching the Safe Haven.

Firstly, I'll describe what I've done to my indoor greenhouse.

I managed to scavenge in one of the supply runs for fresh fertilizer soil that would last long, seeds of fruits and vegetables that can grow fast like tomatoes, potatoes, or something like that, and small plant pots.

If I don't find any plant pots, l substitute them with recyclable large milk plastic bottles and cut them up to make plant pots.

After I had placed the soil and fertilizer neatly and correctly planted the seeds and put them in proper places where there is good sunlight through the windows of the abandoned building.

Next to the water, I just used sticks to hang bottles upside down to drip water from the tips. Just slightly unclog the caps of the water bottles and water will drop and rain down on the pots filled with soil and seeds right below them. When the bottles run empty, I just refill them and it continues to drip.

I placed the pots with the planted seeds in neat rows on flat tables and indirect sunlight from the windows inside the building and the greenhouse is made up of two rooms since the crops needed space to grow in the future.

As for the water units, I made quick work into making and building a simple water filtration system to create clean water for drinking. It doesn't matter whether it's cold or hot, but at least I managed to make it that I have a sufficient water supply, that is safe and clean to drink.

I made up about three to four water filtration systems in another two rooms and made sure that there was enough space to fill and store clean water jugs and bottles beside the filtration systems to make up my water supplies.

As for the bathing and cleaning units and the storage units for food, supplies, and weapons, I will be writing down later on what I've done because I just spotted movement and I'll need to deal with it in case it doesn't come towards my secret hidey-hole.

It might take a while because the movement I saw looked to be multiple and I'd rather deal with it than deal with an unexpected visiting company banging on my doorstep, even though the ground floors of the abandoned apartment below have been blocked off by the debris avalanche from the construction.

This is Eden, signing off for the moment.

*****

Eden hurriedly put away her pen and journal and then grabbed her sniper rifle and looked through the scope as she aimed the gun through the window towards whatever she had seen or spotted movement from her lookout.

Then once she caught sight of what looked to be some running roaming Omega zombies that are heading towards where is, she shot them all one by one until they are all dead through her scope.

After dealing with them, she made sure and checked if there were any more until she finally found and discovered nothing.

Eden sighed with relief and slowly lowered her rifle down and decided to take an early dinner as she went off to make it.

*****

*****