Chapter 1: Realization

A forced god of destruction. That's what I am. Staring from inside the anti-void, I watch as Ink creates more and more au's. Doesn't he know how much pain he's causing? Doesn't he know how much pain I endure? Clenching my chest, I heave in and out quickly. I can feel my soul burn immensely for each au he's creating.

Waiting until he's no longer creating, I take the time to stabilize myself. Why must I be the bad guy when Ink is clearly at fault for all this? Of course, those who create are considered the good guys and those who destroy are considered bad. But there is only so much this multiverse can handle. And if it runs out of room, everything will collapse into itself.

Finally feeling my breath, I prepare to step outside the anti-void. Ready to do my job. Creating strings of blue, corruption is all that I am. That's what everyone I've destroyed believes. But even I, a destroyer, aren't all bad.

Before waking up inside the anti-void, I was someone else entirely. I had a home, a name, and a life. But, all of that was stripped from me. I didn't choose to die and be reborn as someone like this. I didn't choose to become someone who was once a videogame character.

When I became Error, it was lonely. My corrupted code and memories of a different life always made me depressed. At first, I let Ink create worlds. It was an empty multiverse after all. I watched, but never met with Ink. I never was good at expressing myself. In my old life, I was a shy kid who was bullied a lot. Not much courage from that, I guess.

It was fun to just observe his creations. His ideas always impressed me. He was like a machine of new and inventive ideas. And I was only an observer. I could never bring myself to speak to him first, so I chose to just stay invisible until I gathered enough courage.

Then, that day came. I finally gathered enough courage to try and talk to him. Walking out from the anti-void I call my home; I step into his domain. The light area. At first, when he saw me, he was surprised. I was, after all, someone new he didn't create.

We spoke about a lot of things. Mostly, like how I got here and where I was from. I explained to Ink that my home resides inside the anti-void. A place devoid of anything living except me. He was curious about the anti-void, so I showed it to him.

When he looked around, it goes to show he truly was disturbed. It was, after all, lacking in light. I felt giddy in showing him such a place. I felt that he would judge me badly and leave me. But, to my surprise, he didn't seem to mind my place at all. He was more curious if anything.

I took this as an opportunity, that perhaps he'll be willing to become my friend. I excitedly explained to him how the anti-void works. He took interest in it and I couldn't help but feel happy. After that, I explained to Ink about my powers. He didn't seem to mind it. He also told me about his powers, and the very first au he ever created.

That's when I blurt out that I've watched him create it. He was surprised and I was shocked. I stuttered messily for him to forget I ever said anything. He pestered me to explain what I meant though. Blushing in embarrassment, I tell him I've actually been watching him this entire time.

I closed my eye sockets, not wanting to see his expression. I thought that after saying that he'll think I'm a freak or something. But, to my surprise, I hear laughter instead. I take a peek and see Ink smiling in amusement. And I sigh in relief.

After that day, we hung out together. He would tell me about these au's he's creating and ask me about them. I would excitedly listen since Ink knows I'm not much of a talker. I can't even speak without stuttering out a word.

But then, I felt something strange about the multiverse. For some reason, I couldn't get this strange feeling off me. Like I'm forgetting something very important. While resting inside my anti-void again, suddenly, a burning sensation hits me. I clutch my chest, falling onto the floor. I lay there for what felt like forever. And when I could finally get up, I went to visit Ink.

I told Ink about what happened, and he seemed concerned. He asks to check my soul and I allow it. At first, he seemed surprised at my soul. It was corrupted. He explains to me that perhaps I'm feeling pain from my corrupted soul. But that doesn't really make sense to me.

Not wanting to be a bother, I just accept the answer and move on. Ink goes back to watch his creations and I watch with him. Suddenly, I notice a new au floating about. Ink smiles as he tells me this is the new au he's created.

I listen to him but at the back of my mind, something feels familiar. Looking at the new au Ink created, it suddenly hits me. That forgotten memory that I wanted nothing apart of made everything clear to me. Ink is a creator and he creates things. And I as Error, my job is to destroy things. But what I couldn't understand was why?

For a long time, I've known my original role was to destroy stuff, but I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I wasn't the original Error and I didn't see why I should do it. It was a dirty job that caused many to hate you. So, I didn't understand why Error would do it.

But staring at this new au Ink created, that question is answered. Balance. Everything survives from balance. If one side holds more power than the other, everything crumbles. I've been putting off my job because I didn't see the need to do it. And Ink created too much au's that the multiverse is having a hard time containing them.

With that new revelation, I suddenly have a deeper understanding of why my soul burned. It was telling me the multiverse is suffering and could collapse entirely. Staring at Ink who's still explaining the new au, I can't bring myself to tell him to stop creating. It's what he was born to do.

Adjusting my hat, I decided then and there to keep my job a secret from him. I can't help but feel that telling him would put us at odds. And I don't want to lose my only friend. So, while he's looking at one side of the multiverse, I sneak around the other and eliminate a few au's. Making sure not to destroy any originals.

At first, everything seemed fine. Ink didn't notice missing au's for a while. He also didn't notice me clutching my chest every time he creates a new au. I thought that I could work with this and let it be my little secret.

Every time I entered an au, I always took the time to reminisce about these places. It's not their fault I need to eliminate them. It's not their fault for existing. I am always saddened by their expressions. I've learned over time to harden my resolve if I am to keep the balance. But that doesn't stop me from shedding tears after doing the deed.

Perhaps, that's why the original Error went insane? It was easier to cope if he did. But, staring at my hands, the word dirty comes to mind. I am no longer the original me, I am now a corrupted soul. Tears begin to shed, sliding off my glitchy face. I cover my eyes, not wanting to face reality.

How can I face Ink when I can't even face myself? I don't deserve to. We were never meant to be friends in the first place, our ideals clash greatly. Holding secrets, telling lies...that's not what friends are supposed to do. But...I'm scared. He's the only friend I got. And I don't want to lose him.

One day, Ink started noticing a lack in au's. He came to me to ask if I've seen anything strange lately. And like the liar I am, I tell him no. He started keeping a journal of all the au's he's made so far since then. Which made my job much more difficult.

He pointed out a lack of au's in certain areas and I kept blaming it on his poor memory. He started getting worried. Thinking that there's probably someone here destroying his creations. I got nervous when he looked at me. I thought that perhaps he discovered it was me doing it.

But he simply told me that I should be careful and keep an eye socket out for the perpetrator. Did he really trust me that much? Even if I'm a dirty lying killer? I can feel myself wanting to cry. But I hold it in, not wanting to worry him.

Entering another au, I decided to act much faster. I'm scared to be discovered by Ink. With a heavy heart, I slaughter many more monsters. I can feel the sins crawling on my back. If Ink were to check my soul right now, would there be a change in levels? Or would it still be the same since it's technically my job?

Their cries as they crumbled to dust haunt my dreams. The cold feeling of my strings shattering their souls stings me greatly. After that, I decided to pick up a hobby to remember these monsters by. I created puppets of their images and hid them deep within the void where Ink will never find them.