Chapter 26: What if?

"...My head..." I mumble weakly. I open my eyes slowly, feeling tired. I groan as I try to sit up. "...Where am I?"

Looking around at my surroundings, I see some sort of glass casing walling up every side of me. As I try to rub my eye-sockets, I hear the sound of chains moving. I look down to see my arms, legs, and neck all baring chains. Each attached to the foothold of the bed I'm currently resting on.

I stare at them in confusion, still not being able to think straight. Suddenly, the voices in my head all begin to shout something in unison. I jolt up once I remember the situation, I am currently in.

"Why?" I mumble. Not wanting to accept this reality. I thought of every possible scenario of Ink hating me after keeping that secret for so long. But this is something I would have never seen coming. "What should I do?" I begin to weep. Deep down, I know I should never forgive Ink for what he has done, but I can't bring myself to hate him. I can only think that all of this was my fault.

Suddenly, I begin to have a panic attack. I can feel my crashing intensify as I find myself blacking out once more. Everything around me starts to lose noise, as if the silence wasn't already loud enough. I fall back onto the bed, at least I think I did because I cannot feel right now. But before I completely lost vision, I saw, in the corner of my eye, Ink running up to me. He shouts something in worry, but I black out before reading his magic.
_

'...How long was I out?' I think to myself. Something about me doesn't feel right...like...something is missing...but I'm unsure at the moment. I tend to feel a little numb after crashing, it must be because of that. Tilting my head, I find myself staring at Ink who is holding me like a child. He grins once he sees me staring at him. His excitement like a kid who got their first toy on Christmas...Wait...what's Christmas?

"Great! You're awake now! How are you feeling?" Ink asks, breaking me out from my thoughts.

"...F-fine...Where are we?" I ask, hoping to get some sort of clue to where we are. I hope Nightmare and his gang are fine...I don't want to worry anyone. Ink raises me up and places me down onto his lap. I flinch, remembering he had stabbed me with a needle.

"Oh! Well. We're currently inside your new bedroom! I worked extra hard to make sure it was comfy. What do you think? Is it comfy?" He happily describes where we are. Had it not been for the predicament I am currently in; I would also be excited to see something new. "I am currently working on the outside right now. Don't want our home to be bland."

"Ink, this isn't right." I state, breaking his joy. I pull on one of the chains as I stare at him, hoping to help him see his wrongs. "This isn't how you should be treating a friend. Please, understand and let me go. I promise, I won't leave you. Afterall, you're my first friend."

"No." Ink says. "If I let you go, you'll go back to them...right?"

"Do you mean Nightmare?" I ask. He frowns when I mention his name but goes back to smiling. I try to word my next sentence carefully, understanding that I just touched his reverse scale. "Ink...he's one of my friends too. Of course, I'll want to spend time with him. But that doesn't mean I like him anymore then you. It's like when you hang out with Dream and Blue! They're also your friends too!"

"They're not." Ink states without thinking about it. His eye flashed a deep red before going back to his normal ever-changing eye-lights. I freeze at that. "I can always replace them, I only have them to help with the aus."

"S-so, they're subordinates." I gulp. "But they can become your friends too! Don't you feel uncomfortable working with that mindset? How can you build trust if you don't trust them enough to let them be your friends?" I give a somewhat forced smile. Wondering how long he has had that thought. Maybe he's just as awkward as me when wanting to make friends? After all, the number of friends we both have can be counted on our fingers.

"No need. I don't want to waste energy having to mourn if one of them gets dusted."

"INK!" I shout, shocked. He smiles when I called his name. Why am I only now realizing how creepy his grin is?

"Yes Error?" He asks, patting my head. I force myself to calm down. Getting agitated won't help me.

"Y-you shouldn't think like that. How would you feel if I was the one that got dusted? Would you consider that as a waste of energy?"

"That won't happen. We're both immortal. We cannot dust like them." Suddenly, he opens his eye-sockets. "And since I won't be creating for a while, you don't have to worry about this...balance." He hugs me as he whispers a sentence. "...Isn't this a win-win situation?"

I understand immediately that we aren't coming to an agreement anytime soon. But what should I do now? Wait for Nightmare to find me? Try to find a way to escape? Change Ink's mind? No...for now, I'll focus on trying to gain his trust. This will get me more freedom and hopefully get rid of these chains. I could try restraining him by using my strings, but he would most likely dodge since he's already seen me use them once. I need to lower his guard.

"...How about showing me around the house? Since its new and all." I suggest. Ink shakes his head at that suggestion.

"The house isn't ready still. It has to be perfect before I can show you. So, stay here for now. I need to get back to fixing it." Ink says, placing me down on the bed again. He jumps up and poses, as if feeling fully recharged by something. He turns back to me and smiles. "See you soon!"

I watch him leave the room, waiting for him to close the door. Once I cannot feel his magic signature closely, I lay down on the bed. Okay, let's think about this clearly and try not to look suspicious. For all I know, this room could be filled with cameras recording my every movement. I turn onto my side, putting my hand on the X of my headphones.

'...So, we aren't in an au.' I think to myself as the screen in front of me shows that there is no coding for where I am at. 'Then we are still inside his light area. But just in a part I haven't been to. Or, if I have, will have difficulty in remembering. My memory isn't the best after all...' I close the screen and sigh. If I had been inside my anti-void, I could peek into other aus using the screen...

'...What if I try summoning a portal? Would the portal closing be strong enough to cut off these chains? If it isn't, then Ink will become even more paranoid than he already is. What if I summon a Gaster Blaster to incinerate these chains? It would be too loud. And if it fails, I'm the one who will suffer.'

More and more ideas begin to cloud my head. I try to think of many ways to perhaps escape. But I always doubt them and feel that if I did do this, Ink would stop being my friend. Although with what's happening...anyways let's forget about escaping for now. I need to think about what to do and what to say once I am allowed to leave this room.

My hand wanders onto my face, trying to push up my glasses that are not there. I pause when I realize this. I had forgotten that Killer went to fix my glasses, so everything looks all fuzzy to me. What I once thought to be glass surrounding my bed turned out to be the walls of my room. I squint a bit when I realize something brown is on the side of my bed. Leaning in closely, I realize that it's a drawer resting next to me. Wait, maybe there is something inside it? I sit up and reach out towards the drawer.

Perhaps...Had my vision been clearer...then maybe what happened next wouldn't have surprised me as much.