Chapter 22: Moral

"We meet again, little lady." Reaper says, smiling.

"A-ah, happy to see you too!" I say, jumping back a bit. Reaper looks behind me with a thoughtful look.

"As I thought, you were the one who has been releasing souls here. I always wonder who it was. Thought someone was trying to compete for my job." Reaper laughs a bit.

"Y-yeah, this was the only place I knew a determined soul could perish. So, what brings you here?"

"Nothing much, just felt like finding who had been releasing all those souls here. I should have done it sooner if I knew I'd see you." He grins softly. I fidget underneath his stare. "I'm guessing you're leaving soon since you have that portal opened?"

I nod. "Yes, I should really be going. Wouldn't want to worry my friends. We all agreed to meet back up in an hour."

"I see...would you like to spend that one hour with me?" Reaper asks, holding out his palm. I hesitantly take his hand.

"...I would, but I sort of have to be resting in my anti-void. Maybe next time?" Suddenly, I have a thought. "Wait one moment please." I fumble to take out my new cell phone. I hold it up towards him. "Here, I got a new phone. I'll call you when I'm not busy. You do have a phone, right?"

"Unfortunately, I don't. Didn't have a lot of friends who needed one. But I could get one just for you?"

"I'll ask Geno to get a phone for you then." I smile happily at the suggestion. Reaper also smiles at the mention of Geno's name.

"I think you, me, and Geno should go on a date. I know of a relaxing au with thousands of stars staring up above us."

"D-date?!" I shout, surprised. No-one, besides from Ink, has ever asked me out before. Wait, but does it count as a date if more than one person comes along?

"Yes, a date. Has no-one ever asked you out before?" Reaper asks with an amused look as I try to cover my blushing face with my toy bunny.

"W-well...maybe one time...Ink did, but I t-turned him down."

I can see Reaper frown at the mention of his name. He scratches his head with an annoyed look. "...Just be careful of him. I only met the guy once but something about him feels...off. Too bad too, we could have been friends since he was another being I could touch."

Why was everyone saying that something was off about Ink? What do they feel that I don't? I've known him for the longest time but have never felt that something was off. Maybe it's because I don't want to know about it?

"I...I'll think about it. And I'll ask Geno too. Goodbye." I walk towards the portal that is still open to my anti-void. I wave goodbye at Reaper as the portal closes.

I teleport back into the living room of the messy house. Sitting once more on the destroyed couch. I rest for a bit, closing my eyes within the silence. I check my phone to see how much time has passed.

"I only have 15 minutes left."

I sigh, laying down on the couch. I should probably lay down in my bed instead of this couch. My thoughts are cut off by the feel of someone entering my anti-void. I quickly sit up, to see Ink stepping out from his inky portal. His eye-sockets brighten when he sees me. I have no time to react because I'm quickly enveloped into a hug.

"You're safe. You're safe. You're safe. You're safe." I can feel Ink shaking uncontrollably. His hug tightens every time he repeats that phrase. I whack his back, hoping he'd understand that I am uncomfortable. He doesn't yield up.

Suddenly, I hear a clicking sound. Ink lets go, but I look down at my neck that is now bearing a collar. Wait, what? I look up to Ink in confusion and worry.

"I've decided something." Ink starts, playing with the rope by twirling it. "It's obvious to me that leaving your side for even a moment is a bad idea. So, I decided that you will never leave without my permission again. Isn't that a great idea?"

"Ink! This isn't morally okay! Unchain me at once!" I shouted, the first time ever having yelled at him. I yank the collar, trying to take it off.

"Just like how it wasn't morally correct of you to withhold important information. Why didn't you tell me you were helping Nightmare?" Ink asks, still smiling.

I freeze on the spot. I stare at him in fear. How did he know that?

"Judging from that expression you're bearing; you must be wondering how I could possibly know that. Well, I'll tell you a little secret. Check your hat." Ink points on top of his head. Pretending he too is wearing a hat.

I take off my hat, looking around for any inconsistencies. I pale at the sight of a small recorder attached underneath my ribbon. He must have attached it when I first arrived at his base. I looked up to him, shivering in fear once I realized he heard everything. All of our plans, schedules, but most importantly, the fact that I am the destroyer.

"I-I can explain..." I start, fighting back tears. Ink just stares at me, his head tilted to the side. I flinch when he sits beside me on the couch. He hums a small tune, as if this is an everyday occurrence for him. I try to think about what to say to him. After all, this was an important fact I should have told him earlier.

"I probably should have seen this coming. I mean, you were the only other being I knew that was powerful enough to help Nightmare. But tell me something..." Ink sighs, he looks at me with a disappointed look. "Why tell him about your job before you told me? Do you like him more or something? Am I that unimportant to you?"

"I-it isn't like that!" I shake my head in protest, hugging my toy bunny hoping to calm down my nerves. I look away from him, unwilling to look him in the eyes anymore. "...I was just afraid you'd leave me because of it."

"Oh Error..." I hear Ink whisper. I flinch when he hugs me. "...I would never leave you. After all, I care for you a lot. Something as small as this won't stop me from being by your side."

Tears begin to rain from me. Suddenly, all my nerves disappear all at once. If I had known it would be this easy, I would have told him much sooner. No need for all these secrets and fighting amongst each other.

"D-does that mean y-you're not angry with me. A-and we can come to an understanding for the b-balance?" I ask with hope.

"I think we can." Ink says. "But under one condition." Suddenly, I feel something sharp pierce my neck. I fall back, feeling sleepy all of a sudden. I look up to see Ink holding some sort of needle as my consciousness begins to fade. "...That you only stay with me from now on."