Chapter 37: Stubborn

-Geno's POV-

As I sneak around the base in search of where Blue may be, I guide my small group around as well. Cross said he brought along Chara. Even though I cannot see them, they must be helping since Cross would warn us when to turn back and when to go. I forget just how useful having a ghost friend could be.

"...Chara has found him," Cross says from behind me. Suddenly, Stretch grab's his shoulder.

"Take us to him, now!" He whisper-shouts. 

If you haven't got the memo, Stretch is Blue's brother. A Papyrus. I had the idea to bring him along knowing full well he'd be willing to help break out his brother Blue. 

"For the last time Stretch, control your emotions! Dream can sense them easily...!" I whisper back. Stretch stubbornly nods, trying to calm himself now. I turn to Cross. "Lead the way."

Cross guides us through the hallways that even I don't remember existing. It must have been a part of the base I haven't explored yet or they kept well hidden...Once we pass a corridor, I hear Fell speaking. It seems he's trying to convince Blue that he has been brainwashed. 

"For the last time Blue, listen! Don't fall for the enemy's lies! That's how teams fall apart!" Fell shouts to Blue. 

Creeping closer, I spot Blue inside a small cell. Fell seems to be guarding the entrance. If that's the case...where is Dream? Suddenly, the sound of magic charging makes me twist my head. I spot Dream who is quick to shoot arrows. 

"DODGE!" I shout.

Stretch, Cross, and I dodge as fast as we could. The sound of Fell chuckling makes me know he's been waiting for me, for us. I should have known something was up! We may be able to hide our magic, but we can't hide our emotions!

"Surrender now, and I promise I won't hurt you three." Dream commands, pointing his bow in our direction. Fell motions to Dream, something I didn't understand. But Dream nods, so he must have understood it. 

"You're making a big mistake! Please! Listen! It's you guys who have been brainwashed!" I shout to Dream. 

Arrows are fired our way. Dream doesn't even stop to listen. Cross immediately charges at Dream while Stretch goes straight toward Fell. These guys...!

"Let go of my brother!" Stretch shouts, enraged. He quickly activates his Gaster Blaster to blast Fell who summons his own. I decided to see if I can enter Blue's cell to get him out of there while the other two distract Fell and Dream. Quickly, I teleport inside the cell. Blue smiles at me. 

"Geno! You came! I thought I would have to wait at least a day before anyone came for me...I'm sorry, it's my fault things escalated to this. If only I didn't try to persuade Dream to help..." Blue states, his smile falling. He now has a pained expression. 

I focus my attention on how to remove these chains. "...It's okay. Fell already said he knew I was a spy. It was bounded to happen soon. I'm sorry I dragged you into this though-"

*BAM!* "GENO!"

The feeling of someone grabbing my head and slamming me down caught me off guard. I find myself being crushed by whoever this is. Taking a peek, I see it's Fell. Where is Stretch? Suddenly, Fell's soul turns blue and he is pulled back. I get up as fast as I could when he's gone. 

"Ouch..." I rub my skull. Turning to look, seems Stretch has pulled him back. 

"Are you alright?" I hear Blue ask. I give a small nod. Without another word, I pull out a small pen. Science gave me this. I point the pen at Blue's chains and click down on the button. A small beep sounds from it, and the chains fall off. Oh! It worked! 

"Great! Now let's get out of here!" I say, turning to look to see how the others are doing. From behind me, I can hear Blue say yes. 

We run outside of the cell and onto the battlefield littered with burnt holes caused by Dream's arrows along with many bones. A huge dust cloud burst from where Cross and Dream were fighting. Flying out from it is Cross who is littered with cuts. Dream slowly emerges from the dust cloud, walking with his two blades. Dream freezes when he sees Blue out of his cell and quickly teleports in front of us. 

I block his blades by summoning bones. The sheer impact coming from it almost sends me flying. My bones crack, breaking apart. I'm pushed back. How did Cross last so long battling him?! Cross teleports behind Dream and swings down his huge knife. Dream blocks it using a blade and pushes us both back. 

I slide a bit back as Dream shifts his focus to Cross once more. He changes his blades into a bow once again and proceeds to attack. Just before I could aid him, Fell once again joins the battle. Suddenly, everyone except Blue is fighting. He just stands there, his expression unreadable. 

"Ugh!" I slide across the room. My body is full of cuts and bruises. Cross, along with Stretch lay on the floor, struggling to stand up. Fell slumps somewhat, panting a bit. Dream stares down at us, barely even a scratch on him. I suddenly wish I brought Reaper with me...

Dream approaches me, his bow in hand. I freeze up when he aims his bow at me...Is he crazy? I'll die if he attacks me now! I close my eyes when I feel his magic gathering in bulk. The sound of footsteps running my way makes me hold my breath in. 

"STOP!"

I open my eyes to see Blue standing in front of me. Ready to block Dream's attack. Dream pauses in his attack, looking very surprised. He quickly frowns. 

"Move out of the way Blue. Or I will attack you." Dream warns. He looks deadly serious. 

"Never! Dream! Please stop! You're going to kill him if this continues!" 

"The only way to free you of Nightmare's control is to remove the source of the problem. I'm doing this for your good, now move." 

"Listen to yourself! This isn't like you! The Dream I know is kind! Hardworking! He'd never do what you are doing now!"

"I must do what I can to ensure the peace of all aus. Anyone who threatens the peace must be removed." Dream coldly responds. 

I'm not sure what expression Blue is making, but I can feel his determination. "...Then you'll have to kill me too!" Blue stubbornly says. From the corner of my eye, I can see Stretch struggling to move, to get up. He reaches out toward Blue, wanting to stop whatever he's thinking. 

Dream stares down at Blue quietly. I can sense him gathering more magic up. My eyes widen, is he? Time seems to freeze. Fell, who is sitting in a corner is expressionless. Cross struggles to stand up, balancing himself with his huge knife. Stretch shouts out for Dream to stop. Whether he'd listen is...not guaranteed. 

I close my eyes, not wanting to see the aftermath. Just when Dream's magic is at its peak output, it snuffs itself out. The sound of something dripping is heard. I open my eyes, wondering what happened. Only to see Dream crying. He lowers his bow in defeat.

"I...I can't do it..."