Chapter 17: I'll ask again

"WHAT?!" Everyone but Reaper shouts, surprise.

"Did I say something funny?" Ink asks, looking at us in confusion at our sudden outburst.

I shake my head quickly, trying to adjust my thoughts. I mean, the idea of someone from Nightmare's side infiltrating into Ink's side has crossed my mind before. But we've never implemented the plan, because we weren't positive that we could pull it off. I mean, acting has never been our strong suit. Especially now that Dream is here and can detect a change in our emotions.

I feel someone place their hand on my head, stopping me from continuing to shake it. I look up to see Reaper smiling his lazy smile. "Calm down there Error, wouldn't want to send your head flying off now, would we?" he jokes.

I calm myself down for a bit. I glance at Geno to see his thoughts on the matter. He frowns a bit before saying, "Sure."

I teleport to him. Grabbing his scarf and pulling him down to my level. And in a panic tone, whisper to him like he's crazy. "Geno! What are you thinking?! Don't you know how hard it's going to be to fool Dream?! He can detect a change in emotions! No use in lying!"

He grins at me like what I'm saying is some funny joke. "...To a certain extent."

"Eh?" I raise an eyebrow. He continues.

"See, I have something to blame for my shift in mood. Something I don't think any other Sans has."

"And that is...?" I question.

"...A lack of an au."

I let go of his scarf, thinking about what he just said. What was once a cursed memory might just be our saving grace. I glance back at Geno, seeing his determined look. ...it's worth a shot. I hear Ink cough into his hand. Glancing back, I see him grinning at us in a somewhat forced look.

"Done discussing whatever you're discussing so close to each other?" He asks. It is then that I see just how close we truly are. I step back, smiling nervously.

"Yes, we're done." I answer.

"Good." Ink then turns to stare at Geno. He holds his hand out for a greeting. "Welcome to the Star-Sans team, glad to have you onboard." Geno shakes it.

I hear Reaper sigh. I glance towards him and see that he's opening a portal somewhere. And before he stepped in it, he turned back at me and winked. I stare at him in confusion as the portal closes. Suddenly, I feel someone grab my hand and pull me. I shout in surprise as we enter a portal into some sort of white office with a huge table in the middle.

I land face-first onto the blank flooring as the sound of the portal I entered closes. I look up and see Dream staring at me with concern. "I'm sorry. I didn't think I pulled you so hard. I'll try to warn you next time." He holds his hand out and I take it. I look around the room as Ink and Blue is shown explaining what everything is to Geno.

Scattered paper with markings, probably reminders, are all over the table. I pick one up and read it. I see that Ink wrote what they already know about Nightmare and his gang and the many theories they have to who or what is helping them destroy aus. I clutch onto the paper hard when I see the word 'evil' written next to a mini picture of Nightmare.

"What-cha looking at?"

"AHHH!" I shout and turn to see Ink grinning at me from behind. I ripped the paper in half accidently. Ink quickly picks up the two pieces and places them back on the table. He shakes his head and laughs.

"Careful, some of those are for me to remember." But then frowns. "...So, did he do something to you?" I stare at him in confusion. He clarifies. "Nightmare. Did Nightmare do something bad to you?" I shake my head for a no. He smiles and proceeds to hug me. I tense up a little bit. "Good...Because I don't want you getting hurt."

I smile a bit, tiredly. I guess he really was worried. I feel sad for having to deceive him, but it was the only way to ensure they don't end up fighting each other so much. Maybe someday, I'll work up enough courage to finally tell him the truth.

Suddenly, Ink jumps. "I know! Why don't you come live with me in the Light area?!"

Geno and I both shout in unison. "WHAT?!"

Ink stares at me, confused at my outburst. He tilts his head, as if contemplating something. "You know, since he knows where you live? It would be dangerous for you to go back to the anti-void. Wouldn't it be better to live with me instead?"

Although I see where he is coming from, that cannot happen. All the souls I collect from destroyed timelines reside inside my anti-void. I cannot leave them unguarded. Especially if someone finds them and takes them away. There would be no telling of the chaos that would ensue. The only ones allowed to mess with those souls are any beings within ReaperTale, since it is their job to put them to rest. Now that I think about it, when was the last time I took those new souls there?

"I'm sorry Ink, but I cannot do that. My home is in the anti-void. Don't you remember what happened last time I stayed too long in your light area?" I say softly. I can feel the others turn to look at me with curiosity. Ink frowns at the mention of this.

"I know that...we could make a schedule so that we know when to take you back there! It's not like you have to be inside there all the time. Just enough that you feel refreshed!" Ink tries to reason.

"What happened last time?" Blue asks, walking up to us slowly.

I flinch, thinking back to that time. It was the only time I truly thought I would die. If the voices didn't state what was wrong and that I wouldn't die from something as 'small' as this, I would still think it was possible to die. Dream falters for a second, Geno quickly catches him.

"Are you okay?" he asks.

"Yes, just, need to rest..." Dream reassures.

I sigh and stare up at Ink. "That still wouldn't be a good idea. Ink, that place is my home. Just like how your light area has that doodle-sphere in which you create all those aus, I have my house that you gifted me." Also not mentioning my many puppets that are in my knitting-area.

Ink then grabs my shoulders tightly. I flinch when I see his eye-sockets turn red for a split second, then back to his normal-ever changing eye lights. His smile looks crooked, and unnatural. "I-I can always make you a new home! That house wasn't really up to my standards anyways."

I can feel him shaking, as if holding back some sort of emotion that I cannot understand. Sort of like desperation with another feeling that sends a shiver down my spine. Blue must feel that the situation is escalating, because he grabs Ink's shoulder and tries to calm him down. Geno also comes in between us and ushers me backwards. I hug the toy bunny tightly when I'm finally freed.

"Ink, I think it's time we all rest for the day. We all have had a long day, and I think it's best for the guests to relax." Blue suggests, smiling. Ink's eye-sockets darken for a split second. He throws up and smiles. As if nothing strange just occurred.

"Oh, you're right. I'll ask again tomorrow instead."

I can feel Geno shiver, forcing a grin. "Yeah. So, where do we rest?"