Chapter 29: The Kitchen

“And this is the kitchen! You must be hungry now Error. I’ll make something for you to eat.” Ink says, entering the kitchen. We had just looked around his-I mean…our new home. I tried talking to him, but he seemed more occupied explaining everything that is in the house. And I have yet to see the outside.

Ink guides me onto a chair that is too high for me to reach. He picks me up and places me down onto it. I fidget under his gaze and wait for him to turn around. He gives me a smile before going to cook…I didn’t even know Ink could cook.

The silence is deafening to me. All I can hear is Ink rummaging through cabinets of pots and pans. How he has ingredients for food, I am unsure. Can he create food for himself using his magic? Suddenly, I jolt a bit. But not enough to make a sound. I scratch my eye-socket. Mumbling quietly to it. It stops moving.

“Are you alright Error?” Ink asks, making me gasp. I pull down on my hat, trying to cover my expression.

“I-I’m f-fine! Just tired from sleeping.” I say, forcing a grin. I never was good at lying. I can feel Ink’s stare. I begin to sweat, wondering if he caught the lie. Ink sighs.

“If you say so. How do you feel about eggs on toast?” He asks.

“That’s fine.”

Ink gives a hum as a response. He goes back to cooking. I lift my hat up a bit, wanting to see if Ink really is cooking. To my surprise, he is. He begins to hum a small tune. I decide to take advantage of that to strike up a conversation with it.

“…So, your name is Fresh?...And you’re a parasite?” I whisper to the small, purple one-eyed being that is currently inside my eye-socket. This thing latched onto me after opening the drawer. How it got here, I am unsure.

“That’s right.” It responds back.

“How did you even get here? Do you know a way to get out?” I ask with hope.

“I got here by jumping.” Fresh responds.

Eh? “What do you mean by ‘jumping’? Is it similar to making a portal?”

“Yeah. The only difference is, my kind can enter anywhere. Doesn’t matter if it’s closed off to gods or glitches. We can bypass coding or lack of coding.” It responds, dully. Yet, somewhat happy?

“I see…Why did you enter my eye-socket?” I can’t help but ask. I can still remember the burning feeling coming from it when it tried to touch my soul. It stopped for some reason though, and I am unsure as to why.

“I wanted to make you my new host. But changed my plans.” Fresh states without a second thought.

I freeze at that. “…Why did you change your mind?”

“Cause you helped me to feel something.” It states as it shifts a bit to get more comfortable. I scratch my eye-socket in response.

“Helped you to feel? What do you mean by that?” For some reason, I subconsciously looked towards Ink. I wonder why…

“My kind can rarely feel. Most of the time, we seek hosts just to feed off their souls. The desire to live is nothing more than an instinct. We have no fear of death, yet choose to live. I think it’s because we want to feel something. Anything. And I don’t want to make you braindead if you can make me feel something.”

Oh…Before I could comment, I see Ink finished cooking. He walks to me and I quickly swallow back my words. Ink places down a plate with eggs on toast. It’s surprisingly okay looking.

“Try it! I had a Toriel teach me how to cook something. Blue isn’t exactly the best at cooking after all.” Ink says, laughing. He sits down next to me. I quickly notice that he only made one dish.

“Um…Ink…Aren’t you going to eat as well?” I ask.

“No need. I only learned the skill so that I can feed you. Although if you want me to eat as well, I can.” Ink states, raising an eyebrow.

“…Y-yeah! You should eat as well! I’ll wait for you to make food so that we can eat together!” I state, hoping he’d leave so that I can continue with my conversation. Fresh is the best shot I have in helping with my predicament. Ink quickly goes to the kitchen to make another egg on toast. I go back to whispering with Fresh.

“…Seems he wants you too.” Fresh states. I raise an eyebrow in confusion. I guess it sensed it because it continues with it’s statement. “That Inky guy is soulless.”

I freeze up at that. What…? I look up to Ink who is happily cooking an egg. I shake my head, refusing to believe what Fresh said. “There is no way. He’s always happy when I am with him. How can he be soulless?”

“Trust me when I say this. My kind knows when another being is soulless. We can’t feed off dead husks after all.” Fresh repeats. “And I’m pretty sure he’s only happy because you let him be. Do you remember what he was like before you met him? Or did he used to do something but doesn’t do much of it now? Don’t you know where you both are at this moment?”

“You know where we are? All I know is that we’re inside his Light-Area. Where his home is. It's vastly huge. You cannot track where you are at unless you are a part of it.” I state, still refusing to believe it. I think back to how Ink was before when I had yet to actually introduce myself. When I only looked through my screen. I remember he used to drink his paint a lot, but I chucked it off as something that gives Ink power.

“Yeah, of course I know where we are. I thought you knew as well. I always come here when my host dies. A little break before looking for another to feed off of. Did you know this place has a rainbow waterfall? Ink always comes here to fill his viles. That’s what lets him feel.”

Suddenly, a long forgotten memory emerges from my head. A short comic talking about Ink’s past. My eyes begin to swell up with tears, leaking. I see Ink run up to me in worry. Placing down his breakfast on the table. He asks if I’m okay, but I ignore him. Deciding to look at his chest. He isn’t carrying his viles at the moment.

“…Ink…where is your paint?” I ask, wishing this to be a dream.

“Oh, they’re outside. I’m waiting for something magnificent to happen. I want to show you it, it’s going to be amazing!” Ink states, happily.

How could I have forgotten about Ink’s problem? Why didn’t he tell me? I guess it’s karma for not telling Ink earlier about my job. He hugs me, whispering something. But before I could answer, I crash.