Chapter 9: Another Place?

Sitting inside the anti-void, I’m unsure of how much time has passed. The Sans and I stayed in the same spot, mostly me comforting him. I waited until I could no longer feel him shaking as much to try and bring him back online. After he stabilizes somewhat, I say that I’ll bring him to where my home is.

“Wait a moment.” The Sans says, wiping his tears. He takes something out from his shirt and hands it to me. I blink, recognizing the toy bunny I left in his au. “Thought it was something important, so I brought it with me just in case.”

I clench it, smiling somewhat. When I first saw this toy bunny, it reminded me of a past memory. I never liked to think back to my past life, but it wasn’t all bad. This toy resembled a toy my mother gave me. We lived in a somewhat small home. Now, I wouldn’t consider us poor, but there were some points in time we didn’t have electricity nor food.

I grew up as an only child. Mother worked all the time after father left us behind. And I don’t mean it in the sense of abandonment, I mean it in the sense of death. I was 6 when the accident occurred. Mother said that the toy was from father, and that he was supposed to give it to me on my birthday.

So, any time I see a toy bunny that is colored peach, all I could think of is the toy mother gave to me in his steed. It’s a somewhat sweet yet painful memory to hold onto. But it’s something I can’t find myself forgetting about. He and I were close as peas in a pod. So, you can just imagine how devastated I was to learn I’ll never see him again.

I look up towards the Sans, giving him a closed eye smile. “Thank you. I really appreciate it.” He nods, then blinks as if he forgot something. I tilt my head at that. “Is something wrong?” I ask.

“I just realized I never told you my name.” He states, scratching his skull.

“Oh yeah…”

The Sans holds his hand out for a handshake. I grin and grab it. Suddenly, a fart noise echoes in the anti-void. He stifles a laugh while I choke back my urge to laugh. Although the voices don’t hold back. He releases his hold and continues to speak.

“Ah, the old whoopee cushion in the hand trick. It’s always funny. Anyways, the name’s Sans. Sans the skeleton. But I think it’s best if I change that. So, for now on, just call me Geno. And you are?” Geno grins in amusement.

“Call me Error.” I play along.

“Anyways…” Geno glances around the anti-void. The darkness itself would make anyone scared, yet he seemed more unbothered if anything. He whistles. “Is this your home? It’s not exactly what I envisioned. But hey, ain’t complaining.”

“Well, you’re not wrong. But you’re not right either. My actual home is just up ahead. Come, I’ll show you it.” I say, pulling Geno’s sleeve.

We near the house Ink created just a few hours ago. I enter, grinning in excitement to tell the others about Geno. I wonder what they’re up to right now since I did leave for quite a bit of time.

“Guys? I’m home!” I shout as I enter my home. It’s strangely silent.

“Is this where you live?” Geno asks. I nod.

Walking around a bit, I expected to see Nightmare sitting in the living room with his gang, but what I saw instead was destroyed furniture and punctured walls. Bones lay everywhere as ink drips down from the sides. I freeze on sight, having a sinking feeling something bad happened when I wasn’t here. I began to run around the house.

“Nightmare? Dust? Horror? Killer? Are you here? Where is everyone?!” I panic, opening and closing each and every room. And when I don’t see anyone, I begin to hyperventilate. Geno runs up to me, shaking me.

“Hey! Calm down. Panicking won’t solve anything! Do you remember where you last saw them? Or what they were doing before?” He asks, trying to calm me down.

I begin to glitch but try to think anyways. “Um…T-they were in another au destroying it. A-and must have returned while I was still in your au! I-Ink must have showed up here and attacked them! A-and I never showed them where the hiding room was!”

“Do you remember what au they entered?” He asks, trying to ignore the fact that many more monsters died. I shake my head for a no. And even if I do remember, it’s no use in trying to enter an already destroyed au. It will be long gone before I get there if it isn’t already.

I try to calm down. Geno takes me to the couch which was punctured by a few bones. I try to think of where they could possibly be at since Nightmare used to hide somewhere else when it was just him and I. I think back to possible au’s in where Ink would be less likely to check in. Despite the many au’s he’s created, he only ever enters specific ones and leaves the rest alone.

I raise my hand and snap. Suddenly, a portal-like tv appears in front of me. Geno jolts up, surprised, but calms down and observes. “What is this?” He asks.

“It’s a screen-like ability of mine. But it only works in the anti-void. It allows me to see into different aus without having to enter them. I use this to pass time when resting.” I explain. He nods.

I quickly skim through the au’s. And with how many there are, it’s definitely gonna take me a while. Suddenly, I stop when I spot a familiar skeleton with two others.

“Ink?” I mumble. Although Geno heard.

“Did you find who you were looking for?” He asks. I shake my head.

“No, but this is the group my friends and I have to avoid.”

“Why’s that?” He asks, although he frowns as if what he asked was a stupid question. I answer, nonetheless.

“It’s because they are the protector of the au’s while we are the destroyers. It makes sense we don’t get along.” I sigh at that.

“Then what will you do now that he knows where you live? Isn’t there another place you can go where he can’t enter nor find you?” Geno asks, worried.

I blink at that. Now that he mentioned it, I could block Ink from entering my anti-void if I wanted to. But I didn’t want to risk raising suspicion. Ink doesn’t block others from entering his light domain, so I saw no need to do it either. I can feel when someone enters my anti-void, unlike with Ink. Which is why I’m usually the one to warn Nightmare to hide before Ink completely enters.

The only reason I don’t try to block others from entering my anti-void is because I feel the need to help out-codes like me. I mean, what if someone from a different multiverse fell into this multiverse? There is no guarantee they’ll like Ink or me, but something bad probably happened for them to fall here.

I want to help in any way I can. I understand that I am limited but everyone needs a friend. Being lonely is worse than death to me. I never had friends before being reborn here. So, I don’t want anyone else to feel that way either.

I think carefully on Geno’s words. What is a place I know Nightmare would go to? It needs to be an au Ink doesn’t feel the need to check on anymore. Where is an au like that? Then, it hits me. I quickly change the screen to the au. I smile when I spot them.

“Found them!”