Chapter 8: A Helper?

-Ink’s POV-

While discussing the battle plan with Dream and Blue, I suddenly felt like something wasn't right. I can’t help but think there’s something bad happening. Is Nightmare destroying another au? 

“Ink, you okay?” Dream asks.

I take a moment to contemplate answering that. Opening a portal to the light area, I enter, ignoring Dream’s shouts. I walk around the multiverse, glancing at the au’s. We had just defeated Nightmare and his gang a while ago. How could he be destroying another au so soon?

When I come across a white au that’s turning to dust, I realize another au had just been destroyed. But, how?! How did he do it so fast?! Is there another skeleton helping him in destroying au’s? I mean, I only just met Horror, Killer, and Dust a little while ago. He could possibly know someone else.

“RAAAGGGHH!!!” I scratch my head, annoyed. Can he stop destroying my creations? I take pride in my work!

Walking around in a circle, I realize it’s been a while since I last hung out with Error. That thought upset me for a moment. Being gone from her for so long made me feel something that wasn’t pleasant. It’s such a sick feeling that I don’t want to experience it again.

Deciding that I should go and visit her to forget about the destroyed au, I enter the anti-void. I entered Error’s home. What set me off was the familiar signature in magic. This wasn’t Error, I can’t feel her aura. Quickly opening the door, I see Nightmare and his gang inside the house. They all stare at me, ready to attack.

Without warning, I go on the defensive. Nightmare’s gang tries to fight me off as Nightmare creates a portal. He quickly orders the others to enter the portal before I could catch them. When the portal is closing up, my last hit damages Dust. Seems like he took the blow for the others.

Nightmare grabs Dust before closing the portal completely. And I punch the floor in rage. What were they doing inside Error’s house?! Where is she?! Running around the house, I try to look for Error. When I check every room and don’t find her, I quickly run outside to see if I can spot her inside the anti-void.

She could have teleported away when she saw Nightmare and his gang. But where would she teleport to? I searched and searched, but it was in vain. I can't find her. Graaghhh! This would be so much easier if I could sense her presence! I quickly teleport back into the council area.

“Ink! What happened?!” Dream shouts as soon as I close the portal. Blue from Underswap also runs up, worried.

“Yeah! You ran away without saying a word! We were worried. Did Nightmare and his gang destroy another au?” Blue asks.

I stare at Dream. This is all Nightmare’s fault. His brother. The only reason I let Nightmare live for so long was because he was providing me some much-needed entertainment. A show to pass the time for when I could meet Error again.

I didn’t want to drag Error into this little game of mine. I didn’t want her to get hurt. That’s why I never told her about what was happening in the multiverse. That’s why I didn’t tell the other skeletons about Error. I wanted Error to always spend her time with me and not anyone else. No-one else. But now, she’s somewhere I don’t know. And it’s because I didn’t warn her about Nightmare.

Clenching my hands, I grit my teeth. What if Nightmare already has Error in his grasp? What would I do then? He already knows where she lives, I need to keep her safe. Turning around, I walk towards the council room. Ready to make Nightmare suffer. Dream follows, glancing back at Blue just as worried.

I sit down on my chair. The others do as well. I look up, frowning. “Nightmare and his gang had just destroyed another au a little while ago.” I state. The others sit up straighter.

“I knew it! You should have called us to help you! What if you got hurt?” Dream asks, worried.

“It was already collapsing when I got there. There wasn’t much that could have been done. But that’s not what I want to talk to you about today.” I state, heavily. They must have felt that because they didn’t say anything. “…It’s about a friend of mine. Nightmare somehow found where she lived, and I believe she has been kidnapped.” For some reason, I wanted to say something other than ‘friend’.

“Oh no! That’s horrible!” Blue says, worried.

“Do you need us to help you look for your friend?” Dream asks.

“No, actually. I need you guys to look for Nightmare and his gang. I’m the only one who knows what my friend looks like after all.” I brush off his suggestion. No way. Not ever. I’ll never let Error meet more monsters. Cause that would mean having to cut spending time with her.

“Oh…” Dream rubs his neck, awkwardly.

“Anyways, Dream.” I open.

“Yes?” He answers.

“Do you have an idea of where your brother might be?” I ask, hopefully.

“Well, knowing my brother, he’ll most likely be in a place where there is a lot of negativity. But…”

“But what?” I ask.

“…But that would also mean that I’ll be very weak. See, my brother gains power from negativity while I gain power from positivity. If I were to enter an au that’s very negative, I won’t be of much use. Not to mention that I can’t make portals to negative au’s. Just like how Nightmare can’t make portals to positive au’s.”

“Wait a minute.” Blue interrupts.

“Yes Blue?” I ask.

“We fought Nightmare in many positive au’s! If he can’t make portals to positive au’s, then how did he enter those au’s?” He asks.

We fall into silence. Yes, if what Dream says is true, then how can Nightmare have access to positive au’s? This doesn’t make any sense…

“…Perhaps my brother locks onto certain negative monsters and that lets him into the au?” Dream suggests. But my mind wanders to a different possibility.

“…He has a helper.” I state, almost like a fact. The others stare at me, surprised.

“If that’s true, then I wonder who they could be? Is it someone we’ve met before? Or a completely new being?” Blue asks, mostly to himself.

Suddenly, ink spills from my mouth. The others stare at me, concerned.

“Ink! What’s wrong? Why did you throw up ink?” Blue asks.

“It’s nothing to worry about. This happens when I think too much.” I shrug off his concern.

I stand up from my chair and walk towards them. I open a portal and glance back at them. “Enough with the questions, we’ll worry about that later. For now, let’s just search for Nightmare and his gang. He can’t hide forever after all.”