Chapter 33: Rationallity

"..." I twitch my hand a bit, feeling weak. How long has my crash lasted? The feeling of something vibrating in my skull reminds me that Fresh was still in my head. Maybe they can tell me?

Before I could get a word out, I feel something move from beside me. Opening my eyes slowly, I come face to face with Ink who stares at me with a happy look. Although I am feeling conflicted by this...

"Error... You're finally awake! How are you feeling? Any pains anywhere? You've been asleep for 6 days already. I was beginning to think you'd never wake up again." Ink states jokingly. Yet the shaking of his hand says otherwise.

A part of me wishes I had stayed asleep. I didn't want to face this new reality. The truth of Ink being soulless. Does that mean our friendship was just one-sided? That he never actually cared? What am I supposed to think about it? The whole reason I never told Ink was that I feared he'd hate me. But now, I don't even think he's capable of hating.

I continue to stare at Ink, feeling like crying. I break my sight off him as I shift to my side. Refusing to acknowledge his existence...

"...Please, Ink...I just need time...I...I want to be left alone..." I mumble. My voice sounds shaky, not like normal.

I can feel myself shivering. I'm not sure from what. It couldn't be from fear, so it must be from sadness. But the occasional sounds the chains make from every shake let me remember that I am a prisoner being kept inside a cell...I need to escape.

"...If that's what you want. I'll let you rest for a bit." Ink states as he stands up. I can feel his hard stare on my back as he rubs my head. I jolt from that, causing him to stop in his motion. "...See you soon." That last sentence sounded heavy...

The sound of Ink's footsteps is heard getting weaker and weaker. It is only when I hear a door being closed that I glance behind me to see if he truly is gone. My blindness only makes me worry even more because I can see him still walking away. I forget that my walls are made of glass, so Ink must be able to see inside. I'll have to be cautious.

I look towards the floor. Let's quickly make a portal and get out of here! Shifting my hands, I wait for the expected portal to appear. But... nothing happens.

"What?"

I try again, this time, adding more magic. Nothing happens again. I begin to worry, thinking that perhaps I lost my magic so I quickly summon my strings and a couple of bones...No, they're still here...then why can't I make portals?

I look at the chains attached to me, realizing that it's probably the cause of this situation. If I can't make portals, how do I get out of here? I begin to panic until an idea emerges.

"...Fresh...are you there?" I whisper as softly as I could. The feeling of Fresh tapping inside my skull lets me know they're still okay. I sigh a relief. I don't know how long they can last without feeding, they must feel weak.

"I'm here." They answer.

"Can I ask you to do something for me? Please, it's urgent." As I say this, I quickly remember that Fresh told me they're also emotionless. It makes me wonder if maybe Ink is capable of being good. Since he's emotionless, he's only doing what he thinks to be right. Maybe I can teach him what's good and bad?

"Sure, I was thinking of leaving after a day if you didn't wake up. I can only survive so long without a soul to feed off of." Fresh states, tapping the inside of my skull.

"Can you find Nightmare and his gang? Bring him here, I don't think I can leave this place on my own. My body is already feeling weak, perhaps due to not fully charging up in my anti-void. When you find him, bring him please." I ask.

"I'll try, but how will he know I come in peace? I've never met the octopus personally." Fresh asks.

I sit up, grabbing my scarf. I begin to take it off.

"Use this as proof."

Fresh nods. "Okay, but it will take a while. I'll need to find a host to occupy first." He begins to crawl out from my skull and onto the bed, grabbing the scarf. They open a portal, making me realize that I could try to leave by going through their portal instead.

But before I could try to move, the sound of a door slamming open startles me. I jolt up and look back to see Ink making a scary face. I freeze up at his cold, unfeeling glare directed toward Fresh.

"How did you get here?!" He shouts.

Ink quickly summons bones as he shoots at Fresh without warning. Perhaps I should have blocked it using my bone magic or immobilized him using my strings, but I wasn't thinking when it happened.

Without a second thought, I could feel my body move on its own. Trying to block the attack from hitting Fresh. What happened next was all a blur. Only the sound of bones cracking and my loss of vision in one eye along with a ringing sound that followed made me feel nauseous.

Shards of black begin to fall from above. I wasn't sure from where. But my hat also fell next to it. I could feel my vision swirling. A sharp pain in my head makes me fall to the floor. Clutching my head, I can hear Ink say something as he approached me. His expression looked something close to horror or petrified. My only thoughts right now are to get away from him. What has he done?

The more Ink gets closer to me, the more I can feel my magic spike. My vision grows darker and redder. My breath starts to pick up as if I am hyperventilating. Please... don't come any closer. I want to go back, go home, go to my anti-void, and leave. My thoughts begin to get all fuzzy, all out of place. The voices start to get louder, overpowering my rationality.

"G̸̜̗̎̀́̽͝ĕ̷͇̰̪t̷̠̻͍̑͋ ̶͔̪̃̈̃̈́͂̾̚a̸̼̙͙̗͂͛̐̄̃͝w̶͙̲̘̺̜̝͈͋̂̑̈́́͐͂̎̕͠ͅȁ̶͚̃̉̔̆͛̀͛ỵ̴̛͕̭͖͜ ̴̘̔̋f̴̡̗͂̑̅̓r̵͍̳̿̆͂̑̌̕ͅo̵̬̼̥̻̜̠͇̳̭̾̿̕m̵͙̈̚ ̷͎̭̥͓̙̫̤̮̂͌̈́̓̂ͅm̸͓̜̟̦̜̲̘̪̊e̸̢̢̫̹̰̭̮͍̠͒̃̽.̷̨̧̤͕̤̳̪͖̦̌̆̕͜.̷͖͋̆.̶̧̧͉̦̮͎̻̘̺͊͘ "

Despite knowing full well that I won't be able to open a portal as I am, I still tried. Anything to go back to my anti-void. Away from the pain. Thoughts of actually wanting to hurt Ink begin to scare me.

What happened after I released my magic was something I don't think anyone was prepared for...