Chapter 3: HE WHAT?!!

When Ink called for me, I didn't think much of it. It seemed like it was going to be one of our usual meetings where he would talk about these new au's he created. Nightmare is still residing within the anti-void. Destroying au's while I hang out with Ink to lower his suspicion. At some point in time, Ink started questioning me.

I mean, it makes sense if you think about it. There's only one other skeleton Ink knows and that's me. I'm the only one he knows that resides within the multiverse and not an au. At first, I didn't notice him asking questions about where I have been and what I have been doing. I almost let it slip that Nightmare is with me in the anti-void.

He asked me one day if I could hang out with him for a while longer than usual. I started getting nervous, thinking he realized something was up. He still talked about the au's he created and asked for my opinion on them. And I would answer joyfully yet carefully. I didn't want to risk being found out.

So, why did he call me today? I'm not sure. But if it has something to do with my job, I'm running away as quickly as possible and never appearing in front of him again. I'd rather have the memory of us being friends then of us being enemies.

Walking into the light area, I can feel myself breaking into a cold sweat. I see him staring at me and I hide my expression underneath my hat. Walking up to him, I ask why he called for me today. It was strangely silent, and I felt like running away as quickly as possible.

Suddenly, I feel him grab my hands. That makes me look up in confusion. I see him smiling at me while blushing rainbow. That caught me off guard. I expected him to be staring at me with a disappointed look or hatred. And what he says next made me freeze on the spot.

"I love you."

Why? How could he love someone like me? I'm broken. I'm a dirty liar and killer. I destroy au's to keep the balance going and make puppets of those who I've killed. I'm falling apart with the voices in my head screaming I'm the bad guy and he's the good guy. We can never be together. And I just can't see him as more than just a friend.

Feeling embarrassed at the whole situation, I stutter while trying to turn him down nicely. What I didn't notice was his eyes shining darkly. How could I forget Ink is someone who lacks a soul? He's only able to feel by using the paint stored on his stash.

After turning him down, I ran back into the anti-void. I wait for Nightmare to come back from destroying another au. The job of a destroyer is much simpler than most give it credit for. You only have to kill enough monsters that the world thinks it's decaying. If monsters die while the human isn't anywhere near it, the world will malfunction and slowly disappear. At least, that's how it works in this multiverse.

Suddenly, the sound of footsteps approaching catches my attention. Despite what most would assume, I'm actually nearsighted. I need to wear glasses if I want to see from far away. But when doing my job, I don't wear them. It makes it easier when killing monsters, so I don't have to see their expressions as much.

Looking up, I see Nightmare approaching. But what caught me by surprise is his injuries. How is that possible?!

"Who did this to you?!" I shout, worried.

Nightmare slumps onto the floor, pulling out what seems to be a golden arrow. I watch as the black goop pours out from the hole as he slowly heals his injuries.

"Seems my brother, Dream, is freed from his statue." Nightmare hisses.

Dream, that name sounds familiar. Doesn't he survive from positivity? I take the time to examine his injuries as they heal. His brother truly is powerful. We'll need to be more careful or he might discover my job and tell Ink.

Picking up Nightmare, I lead him to my bed to rest. To forget about what just occurred, I tell him about what Ink asked of me today.

"HE WHAT?!!" Nightmare shouts. I can't tell if he's angry or shocked. Probably both.

I blush in embarrassment as I remember what Ink said. But later feel down because it would never work between us. I'm a destroyer and he's a creator. I also only see him as a friend and nothing more. He was my first ever friend, and I don't want to change that.

Nightmare mumbles something under his breath, but I couldn't quite make it out. I chose to just ignore it since it's probably nothing important. We talked about our day. And about Nightmare meeting certain skeletons. He told me that they seemed peculiar and interesting.

I joked about letting them come live with us inside the anti-void since their worlds sound sad. Not realizing that he would take me up on that offer. So, the next day, I woke up to find a few familiar looking skeletons staring back at me.

Hopping off my bed, I adjust my hat. Nightmare then told me their nicknames since they're all technically called Sans. The one with a cracked skull is called Horror, the one with black lines streaming down his face is Killer, and the one wearing a hoodie is Dust.

They talked about their au's and about their hobbies. They talked about how corrupted their homes were. I listened with a straight face. I understood pitying them would solve nothing. With a heavy heart, I decided then and there to ask Ink to make my home in the anti-void bigger.

As I said before, I can't create things. The only thing I can create is puppets from my strings. So, suggesting the idea, I told Nightmare to hide somewhere with his gang while I get my home renovated. Exiting the anti-void, I enter the light area. I walked around for a bit until I spotted Ink.

Remembering what he asked me before, I blush in embarrassment. But quickly shove that thought in the back of my mind. Pulling on Ink's scarf, he turns down to look at me. I lower my hat, trying to hide my expression.

I stuttered out the request, hoping he wouldn't ask questions. But, to my surprise, he agreed. Entering the anti-void together, Ink grins at the house he created for me long ago. When he first came into the anti-void, he asked if there was a place for me to rest in. I shook my head for a no and asked if he had a place to rest in too.

Ink never did answer that question, he dodged it when asked. Well, from what I could see, he didn't have a place to rest in as well. He mainly floats in the multiverse, watching over his creations. Ink then asked me on the specifics of the renovation. I explained to him that I wanted it big enough to fit 5 skeletons inside without disturbing their piece.

He gave me a look when I said that. And I tried to move along before he asked me more about it. While he was coming up with the groundwork, I was trying to act okay in his presence. After what he asked me that day, it just feels uncomfortable to be around him right now.

Suddenly, I felt my hat being taken off my head. And I freeze on the spot. Turning to look at Ink, he's very close to my face and smiling.

"You didn't have to do this Error. But I'll play along." He winked when he said that.

I stare at him in confusion, but he just keeps smiling. What did he mean by that? He places my hat on my head again, patting it. I adjust my hat while ignoring the weird feeling in my chest. It's not painful like when he's creating au's nor heavy like when I'm destroying them.

After he made the new home, he stepped back into his light area. But not before smiling at me.