Chapter 41: Change Of Plans

-Nightmare's POV-

Darkness looms through the portal. As I entered, the feeling of dread only got worse. I expected to find Ink doing terrible things, or at least trying to, with Error. I was expecting to feel a ton of negativity coming from Error. But seeing dark mist coming from a crack in the sky quickly swirling around Error who is missing half her face as she cries in agony was much worse than I had expected. The sheer ton of negativity spilling out only continues to grow, warning even me to not approach it.

"W-what's happened?!" I hear Geno shout, looking and feeling very scared. I can't blame him. I've never seen such a thing happen before. 

My sights quickly fall upon Ink, who is crying on the floor. He's littered with cuts and bruises. Most of his clothes were in tatters or just gone. Without thinking, I run up to him. "INK!!!!" I grab him by his tattered shirt, lifting him from the ground. "WHAT HAVE YOU DONE?!"

"I...I'm sorry. I'm sorry... I'm so, so sorry..." He mumbles, not even looking all there. His eye-lights are blank, almost dead-like. So this squid can feel, damn bastard! I toss him away, turning my sights back to Error who is gathering a ton of magic. But the more she gathers, the more her negativity rises. I have to stop this, she'll go insane at this rate!

"Change of plans! Someone, watch this mistake. The rest of you, make sure Error doesn't attack me. I'm going to extract her negativity. Do not approach if you can't handle a ton of HATE! Science! Try to close that huge crack in the sky! Those that can't approach protect Science!" I command, charging in.

Entering the dark mist triggered something in Error. She quickly goes on the defensive and summons strings along with Gaster Blasters. Reaper quickly blocks and cuts them using his scythe while Fresh does the same. I go in closer to grab Error. Each step taken feels heavier than the last. Once I am within arms reach, I slump onto the floor, barely feeling right. All this negativity is enough to power me up for decades. 

"Error! Snap out of it! It's me! Nightmare! I've come to save you!" I shout, grabbing her shoulders. I frown when she doesn't respond. This isn't good. I pull her in, hugging her as I slowly absorb all of her negativity. "Ugh!" I jolt from it. This...pain...it isn't Error...who? I decide to push back that thought. I need to focus on extracting all that HATE. If not, she'll be gone forever. 

I cough up tar. Tar that Error was secreting before. It tastes horrible, bitter. I decide to speed up the absorbing process, I don't know how long she's been like this. Even if I run the risk of going insane as well. While speeding up the process, I found myself thinking back to when Error and I first met. When she calmed me down. I smile, shedding tears. This...this is payment!

My body quickly shivers uncontrollably. Everything around me grows silent. I...don't think I'll be able to remove all of it without suffering long-term damage. I can only hope that Ink will never create aus again. Cause I'll need a long time to rest after this. I just hope...my guys won't miss me too much.

My whole body begins to harden, turning into a statue. Just like...Dream... "Dream..." I'm sorry...I should have at least forgiven you. I didn't think things would turn out this way. Goodbye...brother... I give a small smile when I feel the stone approach my face. 

Just as I was about to accept my fate, I heard someone call my name. Someone...hug me from behind. I open my eyes, trying to see who it was but I couldn't turn around anymore. Who...?

"I'm here brother. Don't give up. I promise...I won't leave you this time. So don't you dare leave me too!"

Suddenly, all the stone gathering around me begins to crack. All of it burst off me. I look back to see it's Dream who is pouring positivity into me. Trying to counter all this negativity. 

"Brother..."

Dream smiles weakly. "This time...I'll help you." 

I quietly give him a stare. I nod, turning my face back to stare at Error who is quickly losing all of her negativity. My body starts to morph, shapeshifting into my passive form. All of my tar disappears, leaving behind my true self. I grit my teeth.

"ERROR!!! RETURN TO US!!!" I shout. 

The dark mist around us freezes. I watch as it quickly dissipates into nothingness. Suddenly, everything becomes white. Error closes her eyes, slumping down. Her skull slowly begins to heal itself. We...did it.

"Boss! Dream! Are you okay?! How is Error?!" I hear my gang shout. They stop when they see my passive form. "...Is that you Boss?" Killer asks, looking greatly confused. 

I try to respond, but find myself going limp. I fall face-first onto the floor, refusing to move anymore. This is...greatly embarrassing...I hear someone chuckle. Oh...whoever it is, I'm going to smack them. 

I watch Geno pick up Error as my gang helps me up. I'm glad that this is all over...We make our way back to the others. There, I see Science being praised by the others and Reaper sitting on the floor, looking tired somewhat. Cross sits near Ink, having him already in chains. I can see Ink still staring at Error.

Just as I was about to say something, a sudden spike in negativity behind me makes me and Dream freeze. Just before I could shout, I hear the sound of bones cracking behind me. 

"GENO!!!"