Chapter 11: What to do

“So…what will you do?” Nightmare asks Geno as we all take a break from cleaning. This is the most peaceful time I’ve had in a while since Ink isn’t creating anything. We’re all sitting inside our new living room, watching Undernovela. Although it’s in Spanish, I can somewhat understand the plot.

“…What do you mean?” Geno asks, lowering his empty bottle of ketchup. The others continue to eat popcorn and chocolate.

“I can tell just by feeling your aura that you’re not the type to kill without reason. I doubt you’ve even killed anyone besides the human. Which means…” Nightmare takes a bite from his chocolate and continues to speak. “…you won’t be willing to kill monsters.”

Everyone turns to stare at Geno. They must have already guessed that after I brought him here. But what Nightmare asked makes sense. What will he do now? Geno looks towards the floor, thinking about something. He frowns.

“…Is killing the only way I can help?” He asks. No…more like, begs. It goes without saying that he asked, ‘Can’t I help without hurting others?’ without saying it out loud.

Dust pops out his knife and begins to twirl it. Geno tenses up at this. But, instead of attacking, Dust begins telling us a little story.

“Would you like to know how I first started killing monsters?” He stops twirling his knife and points at it. “It’s by using this.” Geno stares at the knife, frowning. I could hear Dust chuckle at this. “…Of course, you may be wondering why? Why did I do it? Why kill all my friends and Papyrus? What could I possibly hope to gain from doing something so outrageous?”

Suddenly, Dust stabs the couch’s arm. Geno flinches at that.

“LOVE.” Dust says without skipping a beat. Geno looks up to stare at Dust’s purple eye. He can see how crazed he truly is. “I hoped to gain enough LOVE to finally stop the human and their resets.” Dust leans back into the couch, slouching. His grin grows wider. “I don’t know about you, but on that day, when I picked up the knife, I knew there was no turning back.”

“Why tell me this?” Geno asks, still frowning. I could hear Dust sigh softly.

“…Killing, for me, helped. Because dealing with a genocidal human every reset can drive anyone mad.” Geno’s eyes widened at that. I lower my cup of orange juice. I hope now that he at least better understands we all have a reason for the things we choose to do. If I think about it more clearly, Geno is also another outcome to an average Sans’ timeline…

Suddenly, Dust grins. “That being said, I think I have an idea of what you could possibly do to help.” I perk up at this. A way to help without killing. Is there such a way? Dust turns towards me. “Hey, Error? Is it possible to interfere with original timelines?”

My eyes widen at what he is possibly suggesting. Although what he does won’t affect copied aus, it could still help somewhat. I nod. “So long as no unscripted monster is killed. It could end up with the timeline becoming bugged.”

Dust nods at this. He looks back at Geno and grins. “Hey, how do you feel about stopping genocidal humans?”

Geno’s eye sparks up at this. “…So, what you’re saying is…that I’ll help other Sanses who are dealing with Genocide timelines?”

“Yeah, but that can get a bit tiring. You could also help feed Horror’s au while you’re at it.” Killer suggests. Horror perks up at this. He begins to drool. I quickly wipe away the saliva as they continue to speak.

“But what if the human resets and I'm still in the au? What would happen to me?” Geno asks.

“Don’t worry about that.” I take a bite of the chocolate. Ever since Nightmare arrived, I started to eat again. I can’t remember the last time I ate before he arrived. “…A reset doesn’t affect out-codes.”

“Eh?” This time, Nightmare’s surprised. Oh, did I not tell him this?

“See, out-codes like Geno and I are not affected by a reset. We’re already a glitch. But on the other hand,” I look towards Nightmare and his gang. “…You guys will be.”

“What would happen if we’re caught up in a reset?” Killer asks, curious.

“Then the world will try to correct itself and involve you inside the au’s plot. You’ll be given a new identity and new memories. But you will not forget your old ones.” I quickly explained. My throat is starting to hurt. I can’t remember the last time I spoke so much. They become thoughtful at this new information.

“Wait, if I’m not affected by a reset, then doesn’t that mean I’ll get tired? If the human keeps resetting and I’m unable to recover, what will I do then?” Geno frowns.

I sigh at this. Guess that thought didn’t cross my mind. I’m so used to pushing through the tiredness to get my job done that I forget other beings need rest. “…I’m sorry, I can’t help you with that. It only means you’ll have to fight smart and conserve your energy for next time.” But what I forgot was that Geno has a special ability. One that I’ll later be grateful for, existed.

“At least you’ll get some exercise in.” Killer chimes in.

“Not to mention that if you do kill the human, your LOVE will only continue to increase.” Dust adds.

Geno frowns at that. I’m guessing he doesn’t want to end up like us. If I can help just one being live without the need to kill, that would be enough.

“Forget about that, we have a more pressing matter to deal with.” Nightmare interrupts. We all turn to him and wait for clarification. He points at me and frowns. I gulp at that. “What will you do now?”

“What do you mean?” I ask.

“Have you forgotten that Ink found us in your anti-void?” Nightmare rubs his skull, as if explaining to an idiot. “Wouldn’t that mean he’s not only looking for us, but you as well.”

Ah, I didn’t think about that. Ink must be worried that I wasn’t home. Which means I’ll have to show Ink that I’m okay or who knows what will happen. If I’m gone for too long, wouldn’t that make Ink think I was kidnapped? I stand up quickly in a panic. But before I could create a portal to where I last saw Ink, Nightmare grabs me by my shirt and lifts me up like a doll.

“Fool! If you go now, you’ll only cause more trouble! Ink must have already made up his mind that we kidnapped you. If you go now, he’ll never let you leave!” Nightmare yells. Geno looks confused at this.

“Wait, I thought you said we had to avoid Ink and his gang? Why was Error trying to go to Ink just now?” Geno asks.

“Right, we didn’t tell you yet. See, Error and Ink are friends. It’s just us that have to avoid Ink.” Dust answers while rubbing Horror’s skull as he sleeps.

“You can say she distracts Ink while we destroy aus.” Killer whispers, as if not wanting me to hear that. Although, I did.

Nightmare sighs. “For now, let’s come up with a plan to have Error come back to Ink without Ink doing something extreme.” We all nod at that.