Chapter 19: On the Count of 3

Waking up, I find myself inside a small, colorless room. I look around in confusion, until I remember what happened.

"I'm such an idiot..." I mumble to myself, groaning into my hands. What am I supposed to do now? Ink will be watching me 24/7 until he finds Nightmare. I have to leave somehow without being noticed, but how do I do that?

"You're finally awake?" I jolt out from my thoughts when I turn to see Ink leaning at the entrance of my room. How long has he been standing there?

"I-Ink! What brings you here in the morning...afternoon...night? It's hard to tell time here..." I ask.

"Nothing much, couldn't sleep so I stood here guarding your room's entrance. You know, just in case Nightmare finds this place. So now that you had some rest...what do you think about my proposal?" Ink asks, excitedly. Teleporting at the foot of my bedside.

I scratch my hatless head. "Right...um...I'll still have to say no to that." Upon saying that, Ink's eye-sockets darken. Just like yesterday. Does that mean he's mad or what? Suddenly, rainbow tears begin to rain from Ink. I begin to panic as Ink mumbles something underneath his breath. He abruptly hugs me. I feel like I'm being crushed.

"Please...I don't want you being kidnapped again. What if I don't find you again like last time? What if you never come back? You're the first being I've spoken to, and I don't want to forget about you." Ink pleads softly. I've never heard him use such a tone before. He must really be worried.

I find myself also crying. Everything I have done up to this point, I recall it all inside my head. I think back to the many decisions I've made along the journey that made me end up here. There are many points in my life that I had wished I had told Ink earlier. Cause then, maybe, none of this would have happened. Before I could say something to comfort him, I heard a crash. Ink quickly lets me go and grabs his paintbrush. Did I forget to mention he named it Broomie?

"Error, stay here. I'll go see what's wrong." Ink says, opening and locking the door from the outside. Wait, what?

I hop off the bed and run to the door after putting on my hat. I try pulling, pushing, and twisting the knob, but it just won't open. Why is the door able to be locked from the outside but not from the inside? I contemplated just teleporting outside the room. But Ink told me to stay. Maybe it's nothing and Blue is just cooking. I remember seeing some Papyrus's making much more racket when cooking spaghetti. Although for Blue's case, tacos.

A bone pierces my bedroom's door. I fumble backwards from the fact it missed my hat by just centimeters. I grab my glasses to see whose magic signature it belongs too. My toy bunny, somehow already in my arms.

"Killer?"

I teleport outside the room and see the Star Sanses and Nightmare's gang fighting each other. I look around to see if I can spot Geno. Either he's still sleeping, or he's talking with Nightmare somewhere because I don't see either of them.

"Found her!" Dust shouts. I turn to see him teleport in front of me, picking me up like a little kid. "Come on, we got to tell the boss!"

"LET HER GO!!!" Ink shouts, teleporting in front of Dust just as he's about to enter the still open portal. He rams Dust with Broomie and I also fly back with him. Ink, that was a bad move.

Dust takes most of the impact and I can't help but ask if he's okay during the battle. He grins as a yes. Dust's eye-socket flares up as he summons Gaster Blasters. I can hear him blast Ink as he motions for me to listen closely.

"On the count of 3, I want you to open a portal above us, alright?" I stare at him in confusion, but nod. He continues and Ink runs up to us faster. "1...2...3!" Suddenly, I'm tossed up into the air as Ink body-slams Dust. I opened a portal, just as he asked me too. To where? I am unsure. I didn't think about that one...

"ERROR!" I hear Ink shout as the portal closes fast. He reaches out, hoping to grab me in time, but doesn't make it. I slam onto the blank flooring; question what had just occurred. Nightmare found Ink's base. And he probably has me or Geno to thank for that.

I sit up, fixing my glasses that are now somewhat bent. Oh...I cracked a lens. I'll need to ask someone to help me fix it then. Or get a new pair somewhere.

"Who are you?" Someone asks. I look around to see who it was when I see a Sans sitting alone inside this white void. No wait...there is someone beside him. Is that a Chara?

"I'm Error. And you are?"

"...Cross..." The Sans says. He stares at where the portal closed previously. "...How did you do that?"

"Do what?" I blink with realization. "Oh, you mean make that portal? Any Out code can learn it after being outside your au for a long time."

"Out code?"

"Yeah. That means any being who is left without an original home or is a Glitch with enough magic to perform that feat. Are you an Out code?"

Cross glances at the ghostly Chara. "Maybe they can help us get out of here? Ink wasn't letting us leave because he said it was impossible. But Error is saying otherwise. Doesn't that mean we were lied to?"

"Not necessarily." I interrupt. They turn to look at me. "Ink probably meant that it would be impossible because he's only seen God-like beings make them. But I've seen many beings that are not of that status make it."

"Wait, you can hear me?" Chara asks, floating in front of my face with anticipation.

"Yes, I can see and hear you. I am, after all, able to see all Charas even when they do not possess a body of their own." I state. For some reason, that makes them smile even more.

"We should keep them."

"No...." Cross mumbles in protest after Chara suggests it. I can see them trying to poke Cross, but their fingers just phase through. Probably to annoy him.

I look around at the vastly white au. It's similar to Ink's Light area. But lacks the feel of it. I turn back to the two of them, wondering how long they've been stuck inside here because Ink didn't let them outside. Maybe this au has yet to finish its story? I click the x on my hat, and this au's coding becomes visible to me...No...this au has finished its story, so why are they still here then? This doesn't seem like something Ink would do...would he?

"Oh wow! You're an original!" I shouted after reading this au's name. XTale?

"An original? I remember Ink saying something about that too. What's so important about that?" Chara asks as Cross lifts a non-existing eyebrow.

I quickly stand up, realizing that leaving these two here alone is out of the question. If they die, all their copies die as well. I cannot let that happen!