Chapter 14: A taste of Death

Walking towards the last camera hidden in the snow, I quickly crush it using my boot. The sizzling of smoke rising from it indicates to me that it was still functional. Guess our theory was correct.

A while ago, Angel held a gathering at his house. There, we met with the human and their friend Flowey. We spoke about our findings, which didn't really amount to much. Just theories that perhaps they're somehow using the cameras hiding around the underground. Which wouldn't make sense unless the electricity is still flowing.

I pat away the nonexistent dust from my dress as I smile at the fact that maybe we can leave this au soon. It's not safe to stay in one place for very long. Even if Ink has difficulty detecting my presence, there is no telling when he'd teleport into this exact au and catch us off-guard.

I make my way back towards Horror's house, coming across Geno in the process.

"Geno, I finished my-" but before I could finish my sentence, someone walks out from a portal they just made. Making me halt in my steps. Geno looks back towards me, unaware of the new skeleton carrying a scythe slowly making his way towards him. I quickly call out. "Look out!"

Suddenly, that skeleton slashes at Geno. Missing by just a centimeter. Geno slides a bit back, halting when he nears a tree.

"Now that isn't very nice of you. You shouldn't attack people at the first meeting, it gives them a bad impression." Geno jokes, probably trying to diffuse the situation.

"It's been a long time since you shouldn't be alive." that skeleton says, his eye sockets devoid of any light. Giving off an eerie feeling. Suddenly, he blinks. And one glowing eye light shines. "...So, I feel kind of obliged to complete the job."

Geno and I sweat a bit. Him, probably because he understands he won't be able to diffuse the situation. Me, because if he dies, so does every other copy of him. I quickly run up to stop them before anything bad happens.

The skeleton raises his scythe once again as he dashes towards Geno. Geno quickly summons two bones and tries to block the attack. But as the weapons make contact, I hear the sound of bones cracking like biting into a carrot. And without thinking twice, I teleport behind the skeleton and grab him by his neck to pull him back. As if startled by my touch, the skeleton drops his scythe and falls onto the floor.

"P-please don't hurt him! I-if he dies, so does every c-copy of him too!" I say, trying to pin down his arms while Geno sits on top of him as a precaution. He also seems startled by this motion too. Does he not like being touched?

"You aren't dying?" He questions. Staring at us in confusion. But also...hope? Wait...is he...?

"Who are you?" Geno asks him, saying what I was about to say.

"You can call me Reaper." He says, grinning a bit.

"Okay, Reaper, why were you trying to kill me?" Geno asks, narrowing his eye sockets. Probably to see if he would lie or just to look more threatening.

"It's kind of my job." He says, not taking his glaring seriously.

"Your job?" Geno repeats back. I then decide to chime in.

"Are you the one in charge of the balance between life and death?" Now that I think back to my past life memories, he does vaguely look familiar to me. He nods to answer my question.

I look up at Geno, motioning for him to get off Reaper. Reaper stands up, not bothering to pat off the snow on his back.

"I see...I'm sorry, but please leave him alone." I plead, hoping he'll listen. He looks down at me, as if waiting to hear the reason. "...See, if he dies, then all of his copies will die too. A-and I just can't allow that."

"Are you saying that he is an original?" Reaper asks, turning to look at Geno with curiosity. "Also, are you two feeling well?"

"Yes, I am an original and what do you mean by 'feeling well'?" Geno questions as Reaper holds out his hand for a handshake. We both take it.

"Sorry, it's just that most beings I meet usually say I have a deadly touch." He jokes, causing me to chuckle a bit. "Let's start over. The name's Reaper, and you both are?"

"Well, I'm Error and he's Geno." I answer, trying to let go of his hand but for some reason he holds on tighter. "...you can let go now?"

"Oh, right." He releases, however reluctantly. We stand there awkwardly. So, Geno coughs and tries to say something.

"Aren't you gonna leave?"

"Nah, I think I'll stay with y'all for a bit." Reaper says, grinning strangely. Which earns a jolt from Geno for some reason? He winks when he says, "So what brings you both here in this au?"

"We just got done p-passing out food for the monsters and were about t-to leave." I say, pushing my glasses up.

"I see...and is this yours?" Reaper asks, pulling out my toy bunny. Oh, did I drop it when I held him down?

"Yes, t-thank you." I say as I reach out to grab it. But before I could, he pulled back. I look at him in confusion.

"I'll give you back this bunny if you give me your contact information." He states abruptly. And I just stare at him in confusion, because I don't have a phone on me. Geno frowns and walks in front of me.

"Yeah, I don't think so. Just give her back her toy or else."

"Now who's the one being rude?" Reaper asks jokingly. "Although, I wouldn't mind getting yours too."

For some reason, Geno blushes. Did he say something strange? Is he embarrassed because he doesn't have a phone as well? He shouldn't be.

"I'm sorry Reaper, but I don't have a phone with which I can call you with." I state.

"That's okay. Don't really need one. Just your magic signature will be enough." He says while doing something to my toy bunny. It glows for a short while before dimming once more. He then holds out my toy bunny towards me before grinning weirdly.

"What did you do to it?" Geno asks, glaring at it.

"Nothing much, you'll find out soon." He winks and chuckles. "Anyways, here."

I reach out to grab my toy bunny, but before I could touch it, a familiar voice startles me and causes me to choke on air.

"Error!" the voice says. But before I could turn to look, I found myself being lifted into the air by non-other than Ink.