Chapter 13: Doubles the Trouble

"Everyone! Please, stand in line. We're about to begin distributing food!" Geno shouts, standing in front of Grillby's door with Angel, Horror's brother. Just in case they try to break in and steal everything.

A short while ago, the Papyrus of this au met up with us. We didn't see him at first because he said something about the human needing his attention. I think that meant hiding them away since all the monsters here are still carnivorous. Guess I'll pack a box of food and bring it to them personally later.

Now that Angel is here, we don't have to worry much about unruly monsters making a fuss. He is the top dog of this au after all. One by one, the group begins to line up. Those who were lucky to get at the front of the line quickly grin. Their rows of bloodied teeth and battered clothing would make even city dogs seem cleaner.

Then, we begin distributing. Depending on who lives with them or how big they are, we hand out 2 more boxes of food. Geno calculated how long each box should last for each monster. He reasons that he'd have to come back here once every 2 weeks for monsters to not start starving. A reasonable conclusion for now.

When the last monster receives his box, everything becomes silent. Geno and I just stand there, blinking, unsure of what is happening. We exchange glances at each other. I was expecting them to scream in joy or at least say something. I look at Angel, whose expression is hidden by a grin. Suddenly, I hear sobbing.

Geno and I turn to see the monsters crying. They all shake, still staring at the boxes in their hands. As if what they're holding is something unreal. We hear them mumble 'thank you' repeatedly. I breathe a sigh of relief when I realize they're crying from joy. Geno grins, happy.

Suddenly, the scene is broken by a running rabbit. He shouts about something, which seems to warrant everyone to start running away in a panic. Geno and I stare at the scene in confusion, until it suddenly clicks.

"Error, Geno, please go inside. I'll handle this." Angel warns, motioning towards the door.

"No, this was bound to happen. It's best to settle this so that Geno won't have to deal with it later." I state, staying in my spot.

"What's happening?" Geno asks.

As if answering Geno's question, the sounds of heavy metal stepping on snow echoes through the underground. I look up. Far away from my field of view are two armored guards, they slowly make their way towards Grillby's tavern.

When they finally reach us, they stop just in front of Angel. Their opposing demeanor clashes with us, making it very clear that they are here on business.

"Can I help you two?" Angel asks, giving them a smile.

One of the guardsmen steps closer and begins to speak. "Where are the boxes?" He asks.

"All gone." Angel states, still smiling. If this was before knowing of their deeds, then maybe we would have handed them food as well. But since they work for her, we can only endure.

"Do you take me for a fool? Take us to their location or I will have you imprisoned." He threatens. I quickly step up, trying to defuse the situation.

"He speaks the truth. We have already handed the last box of food to the last monster. Maybe if you had arrived earlier, you would have had some." I state, waving my hand at Geno. I can feel him stare at me in confusion, until Grillby taps his shoulder and brings him inside.

"And who are you? I've never seen you before." He asks.

"My name is Error, sir. I'm the one who gave them the food." I say, trying to sound calm.

"Where did you get this supply of food from?" He asks, trying to gain information.

"From the forest." I point to the tall trees where no monster dares to enter anymore. Not since the Temmies went carnivorous.

He stares at me for a short while, then Angel speaks. "Why do you want to know?"

"I'll have you know that hoarding food is against the law and is punishable by imprisonment. Queen Undyne has made it very clear that all food is to be taken to the castle and stored in a safe location. We will then hand it out once every week." He states with no emotion.

"But as you can see, we weren't hoarding food. We gave it out to the public. It's only hoarding when we eat it all ourselves." Angel says, never losing his smile.

Then, Grillby walks out from his cavern. He places a box in front of the guardsmen. Geno walks out as well and places another box in front of them. Seems he got my hint.

"This is all we found left. You can take them." Geno says.

The guardsmen walk up and open the boxes. They examine the food inside and nod at each other. They pick up the boxes and begin to walk away. But not before warning us that if they catch us with food, we'd be imprisoned.

We wait until they are long gone before I heave a sigh of relief. That was so much talking, my anxiety is kicking in.

"Sorry for that." Angel apologizes. I quickly shake my head for a no.

"No need. It's just that we'll need to form a new plan that will have Undyne be unable to take away the food." I say, adjusting my glasses.

"Is Undyne bad in this au?" Geno asks, saddened at the thought.

Angel sighs in defeat. "She isn't, but she has a lot on her plate. Everything changed when Frisk left the underground. Asgore mysteriously disappeared and the human souls were gone as well. Undyne was crowned Queen of the underground after the whole ordeal." When he puts it like that, he makes it sound like this au is another outcome to an average Sans' timeline.

"Wait, Frisk left? For good? Then, what human do you have in your au?" Geno asks, shocked.

"Their name is Eliza. They're currently resting at my home since I don't want them getting killed by others." Angel explains.

"Anyways, Geno, we'll need to come up with a new plan. Undyne somehow knew about what we were doing here. And I don't think any monster would be willing to snitch when we're the ones who hand out the food. Meaning, we can't distribute food until we find out the cause." I say, worriedly.

Geno nods in agreement. Guess we'll have to start investigating the area. We split up and began searching for anything that would give us a clue. She could be using the cameras to find us, but the core isn't working. Meaning, they shouldn't have access to electricity, right?