Chapter 43: The Choice

-Geno's POV-

The sound of silence is all I hear. Is this what permanently dying feels like? I find myself laying down on a patch of golden flowers, surrounded by eternal darkness. Sitting up, I look down at the patch of Golden Flowers that resembles those same kinds of flowers found in the Ruins.

"That's strange..." I mumble to myself. I get up, patting the nonexistent dust off my back. Why did I wake up here? Am I in limbo? And if so, what's with the flowers and single light shining from above it? It looks so much like the save screen...

I look up at the light. It's too bright to make out anything at the other end of it. I shake away my gaze and begin walking around this place. Looking closer, this place feels...familiar...Just as I took one foot off the patch of Golden Flowers, a voice sounds from behind me.

I turn around to see who it could be, but no one is there. All there is eternal darkness. But...the feeling of someone or something staring back at me sends a shiver down my spine. I back up a bit. Can I die again after death?

"Who's there?" I call out. I wait for a moment, unsure of what I am expecting. Suddenly, a distorted voice speaks. It sounds... familiar...

"Gɾҽҽƚιɳɠʂ, Gҽɳσ. Wԋσ I ԃσ ɳσƚ ɱαƚƚҽɾ, ϝσɾ I ԋαʋҽ α ϙυҽʂƚισɳ I ɯσυʅԃ ʅιƙҽ ყσυ ƚσ αɳʂɯҽɾ ϝσɾ ɱҽ. Tԋιʂ ɯιʅʅ ԃҽƚҽɾɱιɳҽ ιϝ ყσυ ʂԋσυʅԃ ʂƚαყ σɾ ɠσ." The being begins to speak.

"What do you mean? Are you like...a messenger of death?" I can't help but ask. What am I speaking to right now? Am I really in limbo? And it just coincidentally looks like the save screen. I'm pulled from the thoughts when it continues to talk.

"Iɳ α ɯαყ, ყσυ ƈσυʅԃ ʂαყ ƚԋαƚ. Nσɯ ƚԋҽɳ, ʅҽƚ ɱҽ αʂƙ ყσυ ƚԋιʂ. Dσ ყσυ ɯιʂԋ ƚσ ɾҽƚυɾɳ ƚσ ƚԋҽ ʅιʋιɳɠ?"

I raise an eyebrow. "Of course I do! Error must be so shocked by what has occurred. I don't want to cause her any more pain than she already has endured." Why would the being ask such an obvious question?

"Bυƚ ԃσ ყσυ ɳσƚ ɯιʂԋ ƚσ ʂҽҽ ყσυɾ Ⴆɾσƚԋҽɾ αɳԃ ϝɾιҽɳԃʂ αɠαιɳ? Dσ ყσυ ɳσƚ ɯιʂԋ ƚσ ɾҽυɳιƚҽ ɯιƚԋ ყσυɾ ʅσʋҽԃ σɳҽʂ? Tԋҽყ αɾҽ ɯαιƚιɳɠ σɳ ƚԋҽ σƚԋҽɾ ʂιԃҽ ϝσɾ ყσυ."

I freeze up at that. I could...see Papy again...

"Can I see him now?"

"Nσƚ υɳʅҽʂʂ ყσυ'ɾҽ ɯιʅʅιɳɠ ƚσ ʂƚαყ ԃҽαԃ, ϝσɾҽʋҽɾ. Tԋαƚ ɯσυʅԃ αʅʂσ ɱҽαɳ ʅҽαʋιɳɠ Ⴆҽԋιɳԃ ყσυɾ ɳҽɯ ϝɾιҽɳԃʂ αʂ ɯҽʅʅ."

When that was said, I got sad. I want to see Papy again, but...that would also mean I would stay permanently dead as well. I don't want to leave behind my new friends, but I also want to see my family again...I struggle with the choice for a moment. What should I pick?

I think back to all the times Papy and I spent together. All the happy times. I remember how we used to make snowmen or how he would call my puns bad. I remember how he used to cook his spaghetti and how energetic he was in trying to become a royal guard man.

Then, I think about what I have now. After Error had saved me in her way. Although it was as long, it was still memorable to me. And the thought of Reaper trying to flirt with her while I was gone made me feel...bad.

I stare up at the light as if looking at it would help me make a decision somehow. Instead of thinking about it from what I want now, let's instead shift it to what Papy would want me to choose. I can see him being happy to finally reunite with me, but I could also see him wishing for me to live longer. See more, do things.

I stare back at the space. Where I feel the being staring back at me. I rub my stomach, only now realizing that my scar is gone. Along with my melting eye. I look...just as I had before injecting myself with determination.

The thought of meeting Papy while looking at how I did before made me feel sad. Because I don't want him to see the scars. But at the same time, I can say that it's a testament to my determination in trying to stop humans. I know that my brother would be proud to know that.

I lower my hand away from my stomach. I breathe in some air before finally making my decision. With a heavy heart, I begin to speak. Knowing full well that I will hurt knowing the possibility...

"... I've made up my mind." I give a small smile and close my eyes. "...I would love to see Papy again, but he would want me to live on. So... I'm still going back."

Silence lingers for a moment. I open my eyes to stare at the emptiness. "Uɳԃҽɾʂƚσσԃ." That is all the being says.

I find myself having a save screen pop up in front of me. Have I truly been...inside the save screen all this time? Not in...limbo? Suddenly, my body slowly starts to dissipate. I float up, changing back into my scared self.

Just before I completely disappeared, the being shows itself to me. I freeze when I see who it is. Papyrus stares at me, giving me a huge grin. The others who lived in my au also walk up. Gaster shows himself, he must have been the one who spoke to me just now.

Papy waves my way, his smile everlasting. "I'll see you again...brother." He says.

Tears being to leak, and all I could give was a small nod before everything turned white.

_ _ _ _ _

The sound of soft crying is what greets me as I slowly wake up. Opening my eyes, I see Error without her hat, and her face finally fully healed. She's giving me a small smile, looking very relieved.

Others also gather around. I can see that we're not inside the Light Area anymore. Seems we've moved into an au. Flowers are blooming all around us. I see the Toriel of this au staring at me, looking relieved as well.

For some reason, my sights fall upon Reaper who is standing far away from the garden. He sits on a dead tree, not daring to come any closer. But...he also seems happy as well.

"Hey, guys...missed me?"