Chapter 38: Listen

-Geno's POV-

"I...I can't do it..." Dream says as he lowers his bow. He sheds tears of yellow, struggling to keep his head held high. His facade of trying to look like the bad guy crumbled away.

Silence engulfs the battlefield. I can see that everyone is shocked by this turn of events. The sound of soft hiccups being the only noise echoing. Blue approaches Dream. Hugging the god of positivity. I can see Dream flinch from the contact, but accepts it.

"It's okay. It's okay. I am here for you. Stay strong. Stay strong." Blue softly whispers.

That familiar phrase brings back a memory. I am reminded of the time Error said that. When she was comforting me. A moment of tranquility hits me. As if forgetting all the bad things that have happened to me.

Dream's crying calms, he looks up, rubbing his eyes as he smiles weakly. "...I'll help you."

I gulped in a breath of air when Dream said that. Does that mean...?!

"ARE YOU CRAZY?!" Fell shouts, breaking the atmosphere. Fell stands up, his rage visible. "First Blue and now you?! I will not have another traitor on this team!" Fell teleports in front of Dream, grabbing his shirt and lifting him. "Take back what you said!"

Dream's eyebrows cringe. He stubbornly refuses. "No."

Fell swiftly kicks Dream's chin. Sending him flying up in the air. He quickly teleports up and dropkicks down at him, landing a kick on his chest. They both crash onto the floor, leaving dust clouds. When it clears, it reveals Fell who is punching Dream's face. Blue quickly runs to stop him.

"Fell! Stop! You're hurting him!"

"SHUT UP YOU TRAITOR!" Fell scream. He activates his blue magic and sends Blue flying away. Cross quickly teleports and catches Blue. Taking most of the impact in. Fell proceeds to go back and punch Dream's face repeatedly again. "Damn it. Damn it! You fricken idiot! How dare you switch sides! I thought you were smart enough not to fall for such a lie!"

"Why won't you believe that Ink is evil? Why are you so adamant that he's good?!" I shout, questioning his sanity at this point as I struggle to stand up.

"BECAUSE THAT OCTOPUS DESTROYED MY AU!!!"

I freeze up...What?

Fell stops with his punches. He drops to the floor, pounding his hand on the ground. I can see tears falling from his eyes even when he tries to shield them. Dream's face scrunched up, turning his gaze away as he closes his eyes. Seems he knew this too.

"...But Nightmare would never destroy an original?"

"I AM A COPY!"

...

I can't help but cover my mouth as if I was afraid I'd say something bad. I never claimed that Nightmare was a saint nor Error. I knew full well what I was getting myself into when I decided to join that day. But to see an actual survivor of an au that should have already stopped existing hits differently. It's so...bad...

"I REFUSE TO LET THAT DEVIL LIVE! HE WILL PAY! I WILL NOT LET MY TEAMMATES BECOME BRAINWASHED! I WILL NOT LOSE ANOTHER ONE! THE DAY I LET HIM OFF IS THE DAY I DIE!"

I...don't have words for this. I don't know what to say. To lose a timeline...I can relate. But that was my choice at that time. Fell didn't have a choice in the matter. His hatred may never change, but...I remember Error saying before that even if I feel sympathy for another, to not show it. It may be insulting to them. So...

"I...I get it. You're mad. You're mad that you lost everything, everyone. I can claim to say I know what you feel, but that would be undermining it. I won't truly ever understand your pain. When I had my au erased, it was by my own choice. You didn't have that choice."

I slowly start to walk towards Fell, staggering along the way. My foot is still broken.

"We can go on and on about how unfair it must be for you to lose your home. Heck, I can even give you more reason to hate Nightmare and his gang. I never said he was fully good. In fact, Nightmare can be stubborn as well. Easily angered. But aren't we all?"

When I'm close enough to Fell, I stop in my approach. I can see Stretch stare at me, his emotions, unreadable. Cross and Blue stare on, their expressions also worried. I can feel that Dream is also concerned about what could happen. Although I am unsure if Fell is listening to me, I continue to speak.

"Listen, I miss my au just as much as you miss your au. I am not telling you to forgive him but please..." I fall on my knees, bowing down to him. "...At least help us save Error. You don't have to join Nightmare. After this, we can go our separate ways and you will never have to see his face again. I promise you, after all of this is done, no more destruction of aus will ever happen again."

The sound of silence is what answers me. I begin to sweat, wondering if my approach was appropriate. What if I anger him more? What if he doesn't agree? What do I do then? Keep him locked up here until we set Error free...? That would be too cruel. Then he'd be the only one brainwashed and left alone.

I can hear Fell move. The sound of him approaching me makes me tense up. I wait for anything to happen. Whether it be a good or bad response. When he stops just in front of me, I wait for a moment. He doesn't seem to do anything yet. I look up and see him holding his hand out. He stares down at me with a determined look.

I smile, grabbing his hand. Fell pulls me up and nods.

"You promised."

I nod. "Of course!"

 "Of course!"