Chapter 6

"Meredith, Cristina." Derek said as he watched the two exchange glances and walk slowly into the elevator. Meredith gripped tightened on Dai immediately as she used her free hand to gently push Dai head into the crook of her neck.

When they elevator doors closed, the room was filled with so much tension. Meredith, Dai, and Cristina were all standing in the left back corner of the levator while Derek was standing in the right back conor.

"Mama down!" Dai said breaking the silence

"Ok, baby hold on." Meredith said putting her down, trying to ignore Derek's eye on her. When Dai was put down, she hugged Meredith's leg hiding her face from the stranger in the elevator.

Just then their pagers went off, code silver.

"What's that mean?" Meredith asked turning to Cristina

"I don't know, let's get of here though." Cristina said as she reached down hugged Dai tightly, then she put her back down. When the elevator doors opened, Dai ran out of them first. 

"Dai wait!" Cristina said lunging forward. She knew what code sliver meant, it meant there was a shooter in the hospital, she said she didn't because she didn't want to worry Mer. Cristina jumped out of the elevator quickly covering Dai body.

Still in the elevator, Meredith heard a gunshot. She ran out of the elevator, pulling free from Derek's arm attempting to stop her, and saw the worst sight ever.

Dai was unharmed, curled up in a ball, afraid from the loud noise. Then Meredith saw Cristina, blood flowing out of her chest, in front of Dai. Then there was a man, holding the gun straight at Meredith.

"Sir, please no! My kid! My friend! Please let me help them." Meredith said with her arms in the air.

"You know, I only have one bullet left. I could shoot you and run. Or I could shoot myself and it would all be over." The guy said

"I can't help you with that decision." Meredith as she felt Dai crawl behind her and hug her leg.

bang

Meredith shut her eyes, expecting to feel a intense amount of pain. When she realized she was fine, she opened her eyes and saw that the man had shot himself in the head. She picked Dai up holding her tight and rushed over t Cristina. Cristina had jumped in front of the bullet to save Dai's life.

Meredith felt around for a pulse, nothing.

"NO NO, Cristina I can't live without you! Please!" Meredith yelled as she hugged her, she didn't care about the blood getting all over her and Dai. Dailiah was screaming and crying hysterically now, so was Meredith at this point. 

Derek was stunned, he was still in the middle of the elevator door, he didn't know what to do. He wanted to help but he was frozen. Just then a swat team came running in.

"Sir! Are you hurt?"

"no" Derek said softly, eyes still glued on the sight of the mother and daughter.

Meredith picked her baby and took one last look at Cristina. She planted a small kiss on her check and walked about of the hospital with blurry vision from tears, trying to clam the screaming toddler.

"It's ok baby, we are going to be fine." Meredith said hugging her tighter and and rubbing her back. She walked out of the hospital, ignoring the swat teams questions.

When she walked out of the hospital she saw that Alex had been shot, he was ok though. She also saw all the body bags. She took out her phone and looked at the time. It was too late to book a flight and get out this here. She decided she would just go back to the hotel.

Derek ran up to Meredith, and pulled her shoulder around so she would be facing him.

"What do you want Derek, I want to go back to hotel."

"Mer, you need to go get checked by the paramedics." Derek said

"No, I don't! I have a screaming child in my hands! I need to get back to my hotel! And it's Dr Grey to you!" Meredith yelled as she pulled away from his grasp

"You can't drive!" Derek yelled

"Don't tell me what I can and can't do!" Meredith yelled as she put Dai in her car seat and gave her a stuffed bunny hoping to calm her down a bit.

Meredith shut the back door and hopped in the driver's seat. She took out a tissue and wiped her eyes, clearing her vision.

Then it hit her, Cristina is dead. Her and Dai have no one anymore. She was alone.

//

Derek's POV

I can't believe what I just saw. I felt so bad for Meredith and her daughter. Her daughter looked about the age of 2 which means, it was most likely mine. I wasn't going to ask though, esspecally not now. I decided I was going to go check on Meredith at her hotel though.

I knew that she was staying close by, she I drove to the nearest hotel and sure enough, I saw her car there.

I went to the front desk and explained that Meredith had just witnessed her best friend died saving her daughter's life and that I needed to check on her. The person at the front desk was speckcal until she turned to the tv in the lobby and saw the news, the news about the hospital shooting was everywhere.

"Room 112" She said

"Thank you so much." I said as I hurried off to go knock on her room

"Meredith, I want to know if you are ok." I said as I knocked on her door.

The door opened and I saw Meredith with bloodshot red eyes and tear stained cheeks.

"No Derek I am not fine! I just saw my best friend die!" 

"Please, let me take you to dinner, you need to do something!" I said, I immediately regret this because I kinda just asked her out on a date.

"You inconsiderate man, go away. I am fine!" She said as She slammed the door in my face. I really messed up.

//

Meredith's POV

After Derek left, I went back to the bed, and curled up in the fetal position with with Dai laying by my tummy. My legs and arms were covering her, shielded from the messed up world.

"It's just you and me, baby. You and me against the world. I love you Dailiah Cristina Grey." 

Dai softly replied, "lov you mama"

I laid there thinking what my next move was, I couldn't go back to Boston. All of Cristina stuff was there, I just couldn't.

After much thought, I decided I would move back here. I would find a small one bedroom apartment and see if Bailey, the new chief of surgery, would give me a job at Seattle Grace Mercy Death. But first, I would stay here, with my baby and just exist.