Chapter 18

Dai was released from the hospital 4 days later. She had a leg and arm cast, which Meredith was not happy about. Having a 4 year, crazy child, with a bulky, unmovable, arm and leg ddi not sound fun. 

Derek saw the worry on Mer's face and immediately recognized her concern. he decided to take a short leave of absence to help her. Meredith was more then grateful when he told her this. Derek drove them back to Meredith's apartment when Dai was discharged, then he went home  to grab some extra clothes and such. When he got back to Mer's apartment, he saw her almost in tears and a sleep child on the couch.

"Mer, what happened? Are you ok?" Derek asked rushing over to her.

"She's in so much pain, it hurts me too." Meredith said, staring blankly at Dai

"Oh Mer." Derek said lovingly as he enveloped her into a huge hug.

That night, Meredith spent most of her time cuddling Dai to try to ease away as much of the pain she could. Derek got Dai to eat some Mac and Cheese, then he helped her into bed. Meredith then read her a story until she fell asleep.

"Mer, she is asleep, you can stop." Derek said 

"Oh thank you! I don't know how many times I can read snow white!" Meredith said as she quietly closed the door to Dai's room. 

"Let's go to bed, it has been a long day." Derek said placing his hand on Meredith's back to lightly guide her to the bedroom.

Meredith and Derek both got ready for bed and climbed in the soft king sized bed. Meredith snuggled in a big sweatshirt and baggy sweatpants and Derek in a loose T-shirt and flannel pants.

"Mer? How was your pregnancy?" Derek asked out of the blue

Meredith was taken aback by his question, "I mean, it was hard. I had bad morning sickness and back pain. Then, I am sure you heard how I went into labor. Wait, you aren't thinking about more babies are you?"

"No not more right now, maybe in the future. I justed wanted to know what I missed. And actually no, I haven't heard how you went into labor."

"Oh well, you just missed barf, crying, and discomfort. As for how I went into labor, I was talking to her in an oncall room and all off sudden, blood. I don't know what exactly happened but somehow Cristina was called and when I woke up, I had a baby."

"I'm sorry I wasn't there, I wish I could've been there for all the barf, crying, and discomfort."

"It's not entirely your fault Derek, I didn't call you."

"I know but, I still loved you, i should have tried harder to find you."

"I love you Derek."

"I love you more."

"Not possible." Meredith said as she laughed and laid her head down on Derek's chest and quickly fell asleep.

//

6  months later

Dai was totally healed, nothing but a few scars left behind. Meredith semester had ended and her boss completely understood what she was doing and why. Meredith and Dai packed up what little they had and were on their way to Seattle.

Derek was waiting for them when they got to the 'Dream House'. He had already moved in his stuff and had made sure that it was frushined. Dai's room was lavender, per her request, and had full sized bed and dresser. The master bedroom had a king sized bed and two dresser, the master bath was also attached to the bedroom and that had a deep tub and huge shower. The kitchen overlooked the family room which had a couch big enough for them to all cuddle on and big enough for them to have friends over.

"Derek! This is beautiful!" Meredith said as she walked into the house. Dai ran inside to look for her room, which she found and immediately gasped.

"dada! this is amazing! just how i wanted it!" She said in excitement.

The rest of the day went by farley quickly, filled with unpacking cleaning. They had chinese takeout for dinner and then they put Dai to bed in her new room. When Meredith and Derek got in their room, they flopped on the bed without even changing.

"Derek I am so happy we did this."

"Me too, I just can't wait till we are completely settled." Derek said turning over to look at Meredith.

"What should I do about work? I don't want to be one of those people who rely solely on another person for income, I mean it just isn't me. I feel like I need to bring something to the table, you know?" Meredith asked

"Well, I dont care of you work or don't work. You do whatever you want. I don't care if you don't work and stay at home with Dai. But, I also know you and I know you would go stir crazy after a while." Derek said brushing the hair out of Meredith's face

"I was thinking about going to Bailey to see if there are any general surgery openings." Meredith blurted out. "But I know that would be a lot, I mean you are also a surgeon, and we have a kid." She followed

"Mer, if that is what you want to do then we will make it work. There is a great daycare in the hospital and Dai is really smart, she will be in school soon." Derek said

"But on of my fears is being like my mother, she was never there. I was always home alone or roaming the hospital by myself." Meredith said, staring at the ceiling

"Meredith, you raised a daughter as a single parent with a crazy busy schedule and you still managed to find the time to tuck her in every night and made sure she knew she was loved, you are nothing like your mother." Derek said as titled her chain towards him so she was looking at him.

"Thank you Derek, I am so glad that despite my serve trust issues, that you made it possible for me to trust you."

"You amaze me everyday Meredith Grey."