Chapter 10

"So Mer, you ready to get discharged?" Derek said standing a respectful distance away from her as she gathered her things.

"Yup! Excited to go home!" Meredith said trying to ignoring the pounding headache that had yet to disappear. The doctor in her knew something was wrong, but she really wanted to go home. "Dai, come put your jacket in the bag please." Dailiah wobbled over and stuck out her arm, giving her mom the jacket.

"You ok? You look a little pale?" Derek said stepping closer to her

"Yeah, I am just tried." Meredith said

"Ok, why don't you lay back down and wait until Nelson does his last exam. I will finish packing for you." Derek said

Meredith was thankful for this, but she didn't show it. She was still very hesitant about trusting Derek. 

She laid back in the bed and closed her eyes, then she heard the shuffling of her toddlers feet.

"mama, i want to lay with you." Meredith heard Dai say. Meredith loved her kid very, very much, but right now, she wished she wasn't as clingy. Luckily Derek jumped in.

"I know Dai, but Mama needs to rest now." Derek said picking Dai up. Derek walked over to the chair beside Meredith's bed and sat down, putting Dai in his lap.

"Thank you Derek." Meredith said with her eyes closed. 

Dr Nelson walked in and stated, "Dr Grey, how you feeling?"

Meredith hesitated, does she tell the truth and risk not going home, or does tell the truth and get poked with needles again. Nelson senseed this hesitation and said, "You have a headache, don't you?"

"It's like I can feel my pulse in my head!" Meredith said 

"Ok, I would like to get another MRI then, you should out of the woods by now." Nelson said as he left the room.

Meredith looked at Derek, he was just staring at her. Even though they weren't 'dating' yet, Derek still felt the need to protect her, while also trying to give her space.

"Meredith..." Derek started

"I know, I know." She said as she laid her head back down.

A couple minutes later, a nurse walked in and wheeled Meredith out of her room to go get another MRI. A couple minutes after that, Meredith was wheeled back in and saw Dai asleep in Derek's arms. Part of her was extremely jealous but part of her was relieved that maybe Dai was not going to grow up without a father. 

"She just fell asleep, she was really upset when they took you away." Derek said

"Mhm" Was all Meredith could mumble, her headache had gotten worse.

Just then Dr Nelson came running into the room, "Dr Grey, we need to get you into surgery now! You have a bleed! I don't know how you havent started seizing yet!"

As if right on cue, Meredith's body started shake and thrash around. Nurses bolted in the room, turning her on her side. Dr Nelson rushed over to her IV admisting some drugs. Derek was left frozen in the corner of the room. Somehow he had managed to get up with Dai, and get out the way.

"Derek, she changed you to her emergency contact yesterday, we need your consent for surgery." Dr Nelson said

"Yes, yes of course!" Derek said. He was confused. SHe had a seizure? He was her emergency contact? What about Dai? Derek watched as they wheeled her out of the room, he sat back down, Dai beginning to fuss in his arms.

"It's ok baby, mama will be ok. Mama has to be ok."

"i want my mama!" Dai screamed

"It's gonna be ok sweetheart." Derek said trying to console the screaming toddler

//

A couple hours later, Derek was still sitting in the tiny, back breaking, chair with Dai hugging him tightly whispering about missing her mom. George walked into the room and immediately freaked out.

"Where is Mer?! Why do you have Dai?! Why is Dai crying?! What did you do to Mer?!" George said running over to grab Dai. He grabbed her and Dai immediately recognized him as uncle Georgie.

"uncle georgie! i want my mama!" She screamed

"George, sit down." Derek said with red eyes, it was very apparent he had been crying too.

"What happened? Please tell my Meredith isn't dead!"

"No, she isn't dead. She had to go into surgery because she has a rebleed. And for as what happened, let me start from the beginning. So, I asked Meredith if I was Dai's father at her house, now I have already asked this question but she didn't give my an answer. So I decided to go to her house and ask again."

"Bad move man." George interrupted

"I know. So I asked and she said yes. I asked to see Dai and she went upstairs to give her to me, apparently she had been sleeping. Meredith was being very understanding about me wanting to meet her, I didn't realize this, I was the one being super selfish." Derek said, trying to apologize to George for what he was about to say next without bluntly apologizing. "I asked to take Dai to the park, Meredith said no because she needed to nap or she wasn't going to eat or something like that."

"If she doesn't nap, she gets too tired to eat at dinner time, and she can't miss a meal because she is already so small." George finished, having heard the lecture from Mer a thousand times.

"Yeah, sorry, sometimes i forget you guys are roommates. Anyway, I got mad and sometimes I can't control my emotions and maybe, sorta, punched Meredith. She then went inside and fell down the stairs and passed out." Derek said quickly

"You what?! You punched her?! You are lucky I am holding a baby right now!" George said standing up.

"I know! I have already apologized profusely!" Derek said

"Ok."

"Ok?" Derek said, surprised at his response

"I trust Meredith's judgement and if you were in here when she got taken off to surgery, I trust she trusts you enough with Dai." George said hugging Dai who had finally stopped crying, now just staring at the wall.

"Oh ok, thanks man." Derek said

"One more thing. Can I punch you? I mean it's only fair, you punched her, I get to punch you. I mean I will punch you in the stomach because you know, you're McDreamy and all." George said

"I guess so." Derek stood up, followed by George standing up and then putting Dai down.

George pulled back his arm, the swung right at Derek stomach. He made hard contanct and Derek doubled over.

"You...are...stronger than...you look." Derek said in pain. All of a sudden, he felt a tiny fist punch his leg, he looked down and saw Dai punching his leg. Immediately his pain got replaced by laughter.

George and Derek laughed at the tiny two year old punching Derek. They were laughing until they were blue in the face. Dai finally had a huge smile on her face.

// 

Meredith was wheeled into the room, which was occupied by Derek and George who had Dai in his arms.

"How is she?" Derek asked

"She's great! I couldn't have done a better job!" Dr Nelson said, "She should be awake anytime now."

2 hours later

Meredith eyes fluttered open, fully aware of the visitors in her room. She saw her daughter. Dai, she thought. But, she couldn't place the other two strangers staring intensely at her.

"Meredith, how are you feeling?" She heard the one holding Dai say

"Give my baby! Who are you?"