Chapter 26

Meredith woke up in the middle of the night and she felt off. Nothing was wrong, Dai was asleep at her aunt Amy's house, Derek was asleep right next to her, and baby was quiet in her stomach. She looked over at the clock and it was 1:45 A.M. She rearranged herself on the bed and when her bare leg hit the wet spot on the bed she freaked.

"Derek!" She yelled in a whisper as she used the back of her hand to slap him.

"Mhmmm" Derek groaned as he slowly opened his eyes.

"I think my water broke, or I just peed the bed. Like a lot of pee." Meredith said moving the covers off her so she could stand up. That's when the contractions started, she felt a ripping pain that stretched from her abdomen all the way across her back.

"Holy moly guacamole Derek!!" Meredith said as she clutched her stomach and bent over.

This woke Derek up. He quickly rushed to Meredith's side and started rubbing the lower part of her back. "I think it's time to go." Derek said once the contraction had passed.

"Yeah, I would say so. But it's to early, baby stay in there longer please." Meredith said as she moved to the bathroom to change.

"I'll go call someone to stay with Dai, yell if you need me." Derek said. He was in go mode now, nothing was going to stop him from missing the birth of his baby. Derek called Amy, his sister, to come and take care of Dai. She was over at the house in less than 10 minutes.

Derek rushed back upstairs to find Meredith curled in a ball on the bed. Derek immediately rushed over again and rubbed her back, trying to do as much as he could to help.

"You should have called me." Derek said

"I... I wanted... I did it on my own last time." Meredith said in between breathed.

"We you have me this time and I don't plan on going anywhere anytime soon. I'm in this Mer." Derek said as he brushed the hair out of Meredith's face.

"Thank you, I love you." Meredith said

"I love you too, now Amy is here so we can go to the hospital now." Derek said helping Meredith up

Meredith and Derek slowly walked to the car and drove to the hospital. Derek periodically looked over at Meredith, who had this permanent look of pain on her face. When they finally arrived at the hospital, Derek helped Meredith out of the car and into a wheelchair. Connie, who Derek had called already, was waiting in the waiting room when they walked in.

"Hello Connie, I am really glad to see you." Meredith said as she breathed through a contraction

"Hello Meredith and Derek, lets go get you settled in a room." Connie said

Once Meredith had changed into a gown and was settled on the bed, Connie came in and was flipping through Meredith's chart. Derek made his way to the side of Meredith's bed and took her hand.

"So, it looks like you are going to be about 10 weeks early. I am going to give you some medicine to help the develop a little faster, but we knew this could possibly happen early. Have you been keeping up on the medications I had prescribed?"

"Yes, she has." Derek answered for Meredith. Meredith was squeezing Derek's hand tightly breathed through another contraction.

"Good, now I am just going to check how dilated you are. Do you have a birth plan?"

"Yes, all natural. I didn't need drugs last time, I don't need them this time." Meredith said

"Are you sure Mer?" Derek asked

"Yeah, I can do this."

"Ok, I will be here every step of the way." Derek said

"It looks like you are only about 2 cm dilated." Connie said