Chapter 8

Meredith ran back to her house, she felt better but she still wanted to be in her own bed. She had decided to take Georges offer of moving back in, so she had her own bedroom back. Her and Dai walked into their room and laid down on the bed.

"You good Dai?" Meredith asked as she laid her down on her chest

"yea mama, you goo?" Dai asked laying her head down on her chest listening to her mom's heartbeat.

"Yes babies, mama is ok." Meredith replied rubbing Dai's back

Just then they heard the doorbell, Meredith looked down and saw that Dai was asleep already so her gently put her down on the bed and down the stairs.

She stopped on the last step, Derek was at the door. She went and opened the door slightly, hiniting that they could talk but he wasn't going to come in.

"Hi Derek."

"Hi Meredith, can we talk?"

"Sure, let's talk outside, Dailiah is asleep." Meredith said as she walked outside

"So, if you're not ready I understand but I need to know Mer, is Dailiah my daughter?" Derek asked looking at her 

"Um, I mean I have never gotten a test but, yes, I think she is your daughter." 

Derek's breath hitched, Meredith watched his face as he processed the information.

"Um, when were you planning on telling me?" Derek asked

"Well, I never planned I coming back to Seattle and once you choose Addison over me, I took that as you saying you didn't want me in your life anymore and my life included Dai so..." Meredith said looking at her feet.

"Can I meet her?"

"Uh, sure I guess. Let me go get her." Meredith said, as she quickly got up and went inside. She walked slowly up the stairs, trying to prolong Dai meeting her father. She picked up Dai and walked back down the stairs, Dai was still half asleep.

"Um, Derek. This is Dai." Meredith said standing in front of him

"Can I hold her?" 

"I guess." Meredith said as she hesitantly handed the half asleep toddler to him

Meredith watched as Derek took Dai and held her so her face was in the crook of his neck and his hand on her back. Meredith didn't trust Derek with her only child, so she stood and watched him like a hawk.  After a couple minutes, Derek looked up and saw the worried look on her face.

"Can I take her to the park?" Derek asked

"Uh, no. It's her nap time, she need to take a nap or she won't eat tonight and she's already so tiny she needs to eat." Meredith said as she watched Derek lay Dai down on the bench they were sitting on. Derek stood up so now they were both standing up.

"But, I want to spend some time with her." Derek said

"Well then you deal with her when she's screaming and crying while I practically shove food down her throat so she doesn't need a feeding tube later on on life!" Meredith said slightly raising her voice.

"Why won't you let me spend time with my daughter!" Derek said 

"I am not used to sharing her! And she is not your daughter! A daughter is someone who you have a relationship with!"

Derek lost it, before he could stop himself his hand formed a fist and punched her in the face. Meredith was shocked, she stepped back and put her hand on her face, blood dripped from her nose and a huge cut on her forehead.

"Wow, Derek." Meredith said as she stepped away and grabbed Dai and ran inside her house.

"Wait! Meredith! I didn't mean to! Please, you need to go get checked out!" Derek said as the front door slammed in his face. Derek watched as she tried to run up the stairs, but instead she fell backward and hit her head again, luckly, she had put Dai down before she tried to walk up the stairs.

"Mommy!" Dai yelled

"Dai, baby. Don't open the door for him, call uncle George tell him to get home now." Meredith said trying to keep her eyes open.

Dai wobbled over and grabbed the phone, looking at the man banging on the door. She called George and told him exactly what her mom told her to say. Minutes later, George showed up and pushed Derek away from the door and went inside.

George went over to barely conscious Meredith and picked her up and took her to his car, then he went back inside to grab Dai. They drove to the hospital and GEorge picked up Meredith body and made sure Dai was following close behind. 

"George, take Dai somewhere else, leave me with Bailey." Meredith said softly

"Ok, Mer let me find her." George carried Meredith through the ER, constantly glancing back making sure Dai was still following.

"O'Malley! What's wrong with Grey?" Bailey yelled from across the ER

"I don't know, please help her! She told me to find you and take Dai somewhere else."

"Ok, I got her." Bailey said as she pushed over the gurney

//

A couple hours later, Meredith had gotten a head CT that revealed no brain bleed, just a concession. She was placed in a room with IV fluids, she laid on her bed snuggled up with her daughter.

"I love you Dai." Meredith said

"luv you mama." Dai replied

Just then Derek came in. He said softly, "Meredith, please don't respond just let me talk. I know you don't owe my anything, but I miss you, I really do miss you. Yow now have no reason to trust me but please try. I am begging you, when I choose Addison, I was trying to save something that was already dead and I didn't realize that. Meredith, I hope you can forgive me, and I am so, so sorry." Derek finished and started to walk away

"Derek, wait." MEredith said as Derek turned back around.

"You choose Addison over me after I begged you to pick me, choose me, love me. You broke me the way my dad never could. You were the first person I loved after my dad walked out. You know when I discovered I was pregnant, I never thought about getting rid of the baby because she was the only part of you I had left. Leaving Seattle was easy, but leaving you..it was the hardest thing I ever had to do, so yes, I will try. But you are going to have to be really, really patient with me." Meredith said

"Can I sit by you?" Derek said, wanting to make sure he wasn't intruding

"Yes, please." Meredith said

Derek sat down by Meredith and reached out to take her hand and squeezed it. Meredith closed her eyes and held her baby close, who was also asleep. Derek watched as Meredith and Dailiah slept, happy that he had made things with the women that he loved.