Chapter 11

Meredith eyes fluttered open, fully aware of the visitors in her room. She saw her daughter. Dai, she thought. But, she couldn't place the other two strangers staring intensely at her.

"Meredith, how are you feeling?" She heard the one holding Dai say

"Give my baby! Who are you?"

"Meredith?!" Derek said handing Dai to Meredith

Meredith took her daughter and stared intensely at the two people in her room. Repeating her statement again, a little louder. "Who are you!?"

"I'm George, you're friend and roommate. Do you really not remember who I am?" 

"No, please get out!" Meredith said getting angry. Dai started to fuss in her arms, Meredith put her down on the bed by her side. She then laid the bed down flat and cuddled Dai closely, like they had done when they lost Cristina.

"Dr Grey, I am here for a post op exam." Dr Nelson said coming into the room a couple minutes later

Meredith sat up, confused. She thought she knew where she was. But now she didn't. Why was no one with her? 

"Meredith do you know where you are?" Dr Nelson said flashing a light in her eyes

"I thought I did. I know I did just 5 minutes ago? Where's Derek and George? Did they leave?" Meredith said

"They were here five minutes ago, you didn't recognize them."

"I'm confused."

"I know, I will send them back in. I think you just have slight amnesia from the surgery." Dr Nelson explained

"What surgery?" 

"Brain surgery, do you remember that?"

"Where am I?" Meredith felt the room spin. It was like everything she has ever known was at the tip of her tongue. She was lost, she felt empty. As if everything in her world had flipped

Meredith watched as Dr Nelson walked out of the room and then shortly after, two men walked in. Who she eventually placed as Derek and George. 

"Meredith, do you remember me now." George asked

"Yes I think so... everything is so slow. it's all coming back so, so slow." Meredith said

"Ok, I am going to put up cards, it may speed it up." George said

Meredith watched as Derek and George took out brightly colored index cards. She read them, some said things like where she worked, what job she had, who her friends were, and what surgery she had. Meredith's head felt full, like it was going to explode at the drop of a pin.

"I want Cristina... where is Cristina?" Meredith suddenly said

"Oh Mer." Derek said, "She died, remember, there was a shooting at Seattle Grace, she died because she jumped in front of a bullet, saving Dai."

"Oh." Meredith said stroking Dai's hair as she slept beside Meredith. SHe looked at all the cards again, slowly understanding her life again.

//

4 days later...

Meredith had been in the hospital for about a week, but it had only been 4 days since her brain surgery. She was used to always doing something, so doing nothing, was harder than it seemed. She thought a lot. SHe thought that what if, she picked up everything and left, this time saying goodbye and such. She had always wanted to teach, maybe she get a teaching job at a local university and teach medicine, and occasionally do surgery.