Chapter 20

6 months later

Meredith woke up in the morning and was immediately aware of the sharp pain in her stomach. She rolled over and tucked her knees into her chest. She opened her eyes and saw Dai and Derek both in her bed.

She remembered that Dai had a bad dream last night and really wanted her dad, her heart fluttered because Dai was way more comfortable with Derek now.

She bolted upright and ran to the bathroom and she threw up whatever she had in her stomach from last night, which wasn't much. She felt her hair being pulled back and small circles being rubbed on her back while her head stayed over the toilet.

"Sorry I woke you." Meredith said as she laid down on the cold tile floor

"No I am glad you did, I put Dai in her own bed. What's wrong?"

"My stomach, I feel like I can't move it hurts so bad." 

Derek placed his hand on her forehead, "Geez Mer, you definitely have a fever. At this point it's just how much." He said as he got up and got the thermometer from the cupboard in the bathroom and then he sat down.

"Here, you are not going to work today, do not even try to argue with me." Derek said placing the thermometer under her tongue. "I will go call the hospital, do not move."

"I couldn't even if i wanted to." Meredith said

"Oh I am so sorry, you know what, the hospital can wait I will stay here until it beeps." Derek said sitting back down next to Meredith who was still on the floor in fetal position. He put his hand on her back and started rubbing slow, small circles.

"Say something to distract from the pain please, anything." Meredith said shifting uncomfortably

"Oh um ok, what's your favorite color? I know that's a really said question but I don't think I know."

"Yellow. Yellow is my favorite color because it reminds me of the sun, and no matter what happens the sun always rises the next morning."

"Meredith... that's amazing." Derek said looking into her emerald green eyes, he could lost in them for hours.

Beep Beep

Derek took the themonitor out from her mouth and looked at it, it read 102.4. He looked back at Mer, her eyes were closed and she was clutching her stomach.

"Mer, can you lay back flat on your back please."

Meredith moaned in pain as she did so. Derek placed his hands on her stomach and pushed around, he got to mic brenys point and it was hard as a rock. 

"We are going to the hospital, I think your appendix is about to burst." Derek said as he scooped her up. He placed her in the car and buckled her up, then he went back inside and got Dai, who was still asleep because she had a rough night.

Derek sped off to the hospital, not even bothering to cal, in sick because they were going to be there anyway. He got to the ER and pulled into the closest parking spot. He got out the car and went inside to get a wheelchair, leaving a sleeping Dai and Meredith  in the car.

"Ok. Meredith get in the chair, I know it hurts but I will help you." Derek said as he came back to the car. He carefully helped her into the wheelchair and then grabbed Dai and put her over his shoulder supporting her with one arm and pushing the chair with the other.

When he walked into the ER, he saw George, who had recently moved back to Seattle. They were not as close anymore but he still trusted him with his daughter for the time being.

"George can you take Dai up to daycare and get Dr. Bailey down her to look at Mer please, I think she had appendicitis but we need tests to confirm." Derek said 

George quickly too the baby and found Bailey on his way to daycare. "Meredith has appendicitis, she is in the ER, go quick it looks bad." With that George went to go drop Dai off at daycare and Bailey ran to the ER.

//

Meredith got admitted almost immediately and soon Dr. Bailey came into her room with the ultrasound machine.

"Bailey please, it hurts so bad!" Meredith said 

"It's going to be cold." Dr. Bailey said squirting the gel on Meredith's stomach.

She looked around for awhile, Derek was watching her face and her face as constantly changing. "What's wrong Bailey?"

"Um, congratulations Grey, you're pregnant."

"What, no, wait." Meredith said looking back and forth at Derek and Bailey.

"I'm on the pill." Meredith responded, "Is this pain related? Please so no." She looked at Derek again, who was emotionless, until finally he smiled and looked at Meredith, obviously happy.

"No, you most definitely have appendicitis that is about to burst, so we need to get you into surgery right away." Bailey finished, as she quickly put away the machine and inserted an IV to start pushing pre op meds.

"Wait, the baby..." Derek said 

"It will be fine, I am surprised you got appendicitis, it is very uncommon when you are pregnant." Bailey sadi as she wheeled Meredith out.

It was to fast for Meredith to process, first she woke up with stomach pain, then she was in the hospital being told she was pregnant, and now she was being wheeled off to emergency surgery because her appendix was about to burst. 

One the other hand, Derek was stunned. He was froze in his place. She was pregnant. He was going to to be a dad, again. He was going to get to see this pregnancy this time around. He was so happy and sacred at the same time. His girlfriend had just gone into surgery and she was pregnant, what was happening in the world.

He finally sorted out his thoughts and ran to the OR floor. He had to ask a question, he couldnt leave her alone again.