Chapter 24

Meredith was now 20 weeks and today was very special for two reasons. One reason was she had an OB important and the other reason was it was Dia's 5 year old birthday. Dai was most excited about her birthday because she was going to be able to have some friends over froms school.

Meredith and Derek had the day all planned out, they would wake up extra early and go to their OB appointment and then when they got home, they would hopefully be able to wake up Dai. Waking up Dai on her birthday was very important for Meredith because it was one of the only things she remembered her mom doing for here when she was younger.

The alarm beeped loudly, causing Meredith to moan as she stuffed her face father into her pillow. Derek turned over and reached over to turn off the annoying alarm, he then sat up and leaned against the headboard and slowly rubbed circles on Meredith's back which was facing towards him. She had just recently started to show causing it to be very uncomfortable for her to lay on her stomach.

"Wake up Mer, it's time to get up." Derek said

"I know, the bed is just so warm." Meredith said pulling the covers up more around her shoulders

"But you get to see little bean today." Derek said, they had been calling the baby little bean for awhile now. It was good compromise between fetus, which was what Meredith wanted to call it and Baby boy which was what Derek wanted to call it. Derek really wanted a boy, he had been an only boy growing up besides Mark so of course he wanted a boy.

"I know, I know."

"You need to drink the water by your bed too, you haven't had many episodes since you started drinking one every hour." Derek said holding the water out so Meredith could take it.

Meredith rolled over and sat up, she then leaned against the headboard. She took the water and started drinking. She loved Derek taking care of her but drinking a full water every hour was getting annoying.

"I don't think I need to drink one every hour Der." Meredith said quietly

"Yes you do, plus you have an ultrasound today." Derek responded, getting up to start getting ready

"We'll take about it again later." Meredith finishing the water, she had gotten really good at drinking them fast because she has done it every hour she was awake for 5 weeks.

Derek and Meredith both got ready fairly quickly and hopped into the car, they had someone from the hospital daycare stay with Dai just in case she woke up while they were gone. Meredith placed her hand in her belly out of habit and Derek looked over and smiled with joy, Meredith was ok, she was alive and she wasn't throwing up anymore.

"Wait, we may get to find out the gender today, we haven't discussed what we wanted to do. What do you want to do? I mean we could find out and then decorate the nursery with all the colors or we could not find out and then BOOM elementate of surprise when bean pops out. But what if Dai asks then what will we tell her? I don't..."

"Meredith, you're rambling about the simplest thing." Derek interrupted

"I know, I just don't know what you want to do." Meredith replied shyly, she never liked to ramble it just happened sometimes

"Well, how about we flip a coin tails we find out, heads we don't. It seems fitting for some reason." Derek responded keeping his eyes on the road ahead.

"I mean why not, leave it in the hands of the universe." Meredith giggled.

Derek smiled and with one hand opened the center console so Meredith could pull out a quarter. Meredith reached in and grabbed the coin and then she flipped it in the air, grabbed it and flipped it over on the back of hand so that one hand still covered the top of the coin.