Chapter 29

3 months later

Meredith was getting better, she had been seeing a therapist 2 times a week and had been engaging more with Anna lately. Her and Derek had been getting along and Dai had been really happy with school and the new sibling.

Derek was ready to take the next step, he wanted to be able to call Meredith his fiancee. Derek called Mark earlier in the week to help him. The goal, other then her saying yes, was to get her to the park where they had one of their first dates. They would g for walk and then when they got to then end of the trail they would be a picnic then Derek would propose.

Mark was supposed to set everything up and then come babysit Anna, since Dai was school, while they were out. It was 11 AM right now which meant Mark should be on his way.

"Hey Mer?" Derek called

"Yeah?" Meredith called down from the nursery while she was feeding Anna

"Mark is going to be here soon, are you ready?" Derek said as he put the veilt box in pocket

"Yeah, I am almost done. I just have to burp her and then put her to sleep."

"Ok, come down when you are ready!" Derek said as he paced in front of the window. Derek saw Mark's car pull up and immediately met him out by the car.

"Did you set it up, is everything ready?" Derek spit out 

"Of course man, happy for you. Go get it man!" Mark said as he completely bypassed Derek and went inside of the house. "Now where is my little niece."

"Upstairs asleep, here is the baby monitor, good luck." Meredith said as she came down the stairs.

"Wow Grey, getting straight to the point, I like it." Mark said as he plopped down on the couch in front of the baby monitor.

"Yup, bye!" Meredith said as she pushed Derek out of the door too

"Wow, a little excited are we?" Derek said

"Yup let's go, where are we going?"

"A walk in the park."

"Cool, I can't wait." Meredith said as she buckled herself in

Derek drove the short drove to ark and parked the car, quickly running around to help Meredith out. They went down the trail and when they got to picnic, Meredith looked up at Derek and smiled. She was completely in love with him.

"Derek, this is too cute." Meredith said sitting down.

"Wait, Mer don't sit down yet." Derek said as he reached to take her hand and pull her back up

"Why?" Meredith said standing back up.

"Because I need to say something... if there's a crisis, you don't freeze, you move forward. You get the rest of us to move forward. Because you've seen worse. You've survived worse, and you know we'll survive too. You say you're all dark and twisty. It's not a flaw, it's a strength. It makes you who you are. I'm not gonna get down on one knee, I'm not gonna ask a question. I love you Meredith Grey, and I wanna spend the rest of my life with you.

"Derek..." Meredith said with tears in her eyes

"Mer."

"I would absolutely love to spend the rest of my life with you too!" Meredith yelled as she leaped into Derek's arms

//

3 months later

The alarm clock sounded and Meredith rolled over into Derek. She cuddled herself close to him and tried to block the noise out of her ears.

"Mer guess what?" Derek said

"Hmmm"

"Exactly 2 more months until we are married." 

"That's really great but I want to still be asleep." Meredith muffled voice said

"I know right, Hey Mer?" Derek said

"Hmmmm"

"I have a serious question so can you please sit up?" Derek said nicely

Meredith slowly sat up and then laid her head back down on Derek's shoulder. "I'm up. What's up?"

"Are you gonna change your name? It is totally up to you." Derek asked straight up

"I was thinking about it. I definitely want to change Dai's name to Cristina-Grey Shepherd so she has two middle names and tour last name."

"I would love that Mer." 

"I think I will change my name to Shepherd, I mean maybe I won't get so attached to my mom's legacy anymore and I can have my own. Plus Meredith Shepherd had a wonderful ring to it." Meredith sad looking up at Derek and smiling.

"Dailiah Cristina Grey Shepherd, Annalise Georgia Grey Shepherd, and Meredith Shepherd all have an amazing ring to it. I love you so so much."

"I love you Derek Shepherd." Meredith said as she gave him a quick kiss before getting out of bed and heading to the bathroom to get ready for work. Derek followed behind and soon they were off to go save lives, only 2 months away from getting married.