Chapter 19

The next day Meredith woke up extra early so she could get ready for her interview, she had emailed the chief of Seattle Grace to see if there was a job opening. Derek woke up when Meredith got out of the shower. Derek watched as she brushed her teeth, brushed her hair, and put on some makeup.

"Mer, you gonna be amazing." Derek said

"Oh gosh Derek! I didn't realize you were up!" Meredith said fixing her hair in natural waves

"Mhm, you look gorgeous." Derek said getting up hugging her from behind. He started kissing the back of her neck

"Derek, you are the amazing one." Meredith said, she leaned back into him and closed her eyes, "I am so nervous, what of I don't get the job?"

"Well, I am sure you will but if you dont thats ok." Derek said releasing her and going to brush his teeth.

"But.."

"No buts."

"What are you going to do today?" Meredith asked, Derek had the day off today.

"I am going to have a bonding day with my sweet Dailiah. we are going to go to the ferry, to the park, and have a good lunch."

"Sounds fun! Speaking of, you should get her up at 8:30, no later. It is 7:30 right now."

"I know. You don't have to worry."

"I know you know, it's just insect to protect her like that." Meredith said going over to get her shoes on.

"I understand, I think it's cute."

"Huh, never thought overprotective mama bear was cute." Meredith said giggling.

"It's adorable, now go otherwise you are going to be late." Derek said giving her a kiss on her forehead. Meredith got up and grabbed her bag, she then walked to Dai's room and gave the sleeping child a kiss goodbye. She walked outside to her care and then drove to Seattle Grace, hoping for the best.

//Seattle Grace Interview//

Meredith into Dr. Bailey's office, her hands sweaty and trembling out of nervousness. She wasn't sure how Dr. Bailey felt about her sudden disappearance all those years ago.

"Meredith! Nice to see you again, come sit." Dr. Bailey said. Meredith stuck out her hand to shake Bailey's hand, which she declined and instead took her into a hug.

"Hi Dr. Bailey, nice to see you to." She said pulling away from the hug and sitting down on the seat in front of Bailey desk.

"So, Meredith, how have you been?"

"I am good, Dai is happy so that's good."

"That's good. Well I have looked over your resume and I think you would be a great fit. You really excelled when you left, you even taught classes."

"Yeah, I really loved teaching those, it's nice to have students eager to learn."

"Yes, you were always very eager. Now, I know what I am about to offer will be a lot but, the head of general retired yesterday and i think you would be a great fit, so if you want, the job is yours."

"Wait, are you serious?!" Meredith said with a huge smile across her face.

"100 percent, I believe there is no one better for this job."

"Absolutely, I would love the job!" Meredith said

"Well it's settled! Can you start tomorrow?"

"Yes!" Meredith said, "Thank you Dr. Bailey!"

"Anytime, chief Grey." Dr. Bailey said smiling too. She was always proud when she got to see one of her intern babies achieve something."

Meredith shook Dr. Bailey's hand and then walked around the hospital, familiarizing herself with the area again. She got to the elevators and where she saw Cristina get shot, and for the first time in awhile, she smiled. She was sad Cristina was gone but, she knew that she would have been so proud of her.

She walked to the parking lot and drove away, it was past lunchtime so hopefully Derek would be home by now.

//Daddy Daughter Day (happening during interview)//

Derek watched as Meredith pulled out of the driveway. He sat down and turned on the tv, counting down the minutes until he could go wake up Dai.

It was 8:15 when he heard little steps come down the stairs. He turned around and saw a sleepy Dai rubbing her eyes.

"Well good morning sleepy head." Derek said

"good mornin dada. where mama?" She replied

"Mama had a job interview this morning."
"oh she doesn't like those."

"I know, come here." Derek said extending his arms. Dai climbed into his lap and laid her head against his chest. They laid there for about 30 minutes just watching tv.

"i'm hungry." Dai said

"I will go make some pancakes, how does that sound?"

"Yummy!" Dai said

Derek carefully lifted Dai out of his lap and sat her down on the couch beside him. He stood up and went into the kitchen and cut out the ingredients to make pancakes. Turn down the stove and got cooking, excited about the day ahead. A little while later he had about 10 pancakes ready and called Dai into the kitchen.

"Eat up, we have a full day ahead." Derek said

"what are we doing?" Dai asked, already with a mouthful of pancakes.

"We are going to go ride the ferry boat and got to the park. Then we will go to this cute little cafe for lunch."

"that sounds fun."

They made light conversation until they were both full. Derek then told Dai to go get dressed and she came back downstairs a little while later and she was wear a yellow sun dress. Derek got Dai into the car and drove off to the ferry boat dock.

When they got there, they purchased some tickets and got on the boat, going up to the top.

 "this is fun, it's so pretty." Dai said holding on tightly to Derek's hand.

"I am glad you are enjoying yourself." Derek said giving a gently squeeze to Dai's hand.

"i know you and mama say i am mature for my age but i am really glad i met you, i'm glad you are my dada." Dai said.

"I am glad I met you too Dai, you are an amazing daughter." Derek said scooping Dai up and giving her a huge hug.

The rest of the day went by smoothly. Derek and Dai played tag at the park and then when it was 12:15, they went to the cafe and had lunch. They got back on the ferry and drove home.

When they got home, Dai immediately crashed on the couch, light snores filling the quietness of the room.

Soon later, Meredith got home and saw the scene, Derek was cleaning up the kitchen and Dai was napping. She walked into the kitchen and hugged Derek from behind.

"Guess what?" Meredith said

"You got the job?"

"Even better, I'm the head of General Surgery."

Derek turned around and stared at her, "That's amazing Mer! I am so proud of you!" He said as he scooped her up and spun her around.

"How was your bonding day?" Meredith asked, still hugging Derek.

"It's was perfect, you raised a perfect daughter Meredith."

"Thank you, but she still has lots of life left and you are helping raise her so you are raising a perfect daughter yourself."

All was right with the world, Meredith had a great relationship with her boyfriend and she had the most amazing daughter and the best job. Everything was working out the way it was supposed to be.