Chapter 16

Derek had been sitting with Meredith for the past two days. Meredith just had a concussion but since last time she had a concussion she developed a brain bleed after the fact, they wanted to keep her for observation. Most of her time though was spent in Dai's room who had still not woken up.

Meredith sat by her bedside, all day, everyday. Meredith held Dai's hand and Derek held Meredith's hand. Meredith had grown silent, she barely spoke or ate. Derek had to remind her to eat and drink. 

On third day of their hospital stay, Meredith was discharged. Instead of going home, she just moved to Dai's room full time. Derek bought her food and water. Derek was worried out of his mind, he hadn't gotten to send real quality time with his daughter yet, and now she was hurting.

Dai had a cast in her arm and leg. She was laying flat because of her broken ribs and since she was so little, they didn't want her slouching in bed. She had a tube down her throat helping her breathe. She was still underweight, so they put a feeding tube in her to help her gain nutrients faster.

"Mer, it's time to eat." Derek said walking into the room. He had left 5 minutes ago to go get food.

"I can't." Meredith said, not taking her eyes off of Dai

"You need to, I can't lose you. You need to eat." 

"I know I need to, but I can't. It's my fault Dai is hurt, how can I take care of myself if I can't even take care of my baby." Meredith said, finally looking up at Derek.

Derek was surprised at her sudden honesty. She hadn't let her emotions through since she first woke up. "Mer...You know it's not your fault. You couldn't have done anything."

"I could've gotten the care out of the way, I saw him coming." Meredith said, returning her gaze back to Dai

"No, you couldn't have. You don't get to blame yourself for this. This is no way your fault. You take great care of her, Dai loves you! She adores you Mer, I mean, you are so protective of her." Derek explained as he set the food down and went to sit next to emr on the couch that was in the room.

"You always know what to say Derek." Meredith said as she snuggled closer to Derek and gave him a small kiss then set her head down on his chest. Derek brushed her hair with his fingers, slowly massaging her scalp. 

//

Day 6  in the hospital

"So, I think it's time we talk about other options." The doctor said as he finished his exam on Dai

"Why hasn't she woken up?" Meredith said through tears, she wasn't ready to let go yet

"Well, she had extensive damage to her brain."

"I know, but is there brain function?" Meredith asked, going into doctor mode. She was leaning forward slightly and Derek was rubbing her back, also listening intently.

"Yes there is."

"Then why are you trying to talk to me about taking her off the vent! You should be trying everything you can! Get her another CT!" Meredith yelled standing to her feet. 

"Mer... sit down." Derek said

"But Derek..." She said as she felt her legs crumble to the floor, "I...I need... I can't lose... I can't lose her!"

"I know Mer." Derek said as he picked her off the floor and pulled her into his lap, "I think you need to go." Derek said truing to the doctor. He watched as he left the room. 

Meredith got up and walked over to Dai's  beside and laid down in bed with her, careful of her other injuries. Derek walked over and held Dai's hand. The two sat there and watched their small daughter.

It had been 3 hours since the doctor last came in, Meredith refused to talk to im this time. Deep down she knew there was still hope, she raised a strong little girl, she was a fighter. Derek felt a small movement in his hand.

"Mer! She moved her hand!" Derek said

Meredith lifted her head which was by Dai's, "She did?!"

Then they heard a small cry coming from Dai, Meredith looked up at her daughter's face. Her eyes wide and she was trying to breathe on her own. Meredith got up out of her bed and stood over her daughter.

"Cough baby girl, give me a big cough." Dai obeyed and coughed as the tube came flying out.

"Dai!" Derek said as he moved over to stand beside Meredith.

"Hey sweetheart, can you say something for me. I love you." 

"m...ma...mama." Dai choked out

Derek quickly brought over water and held the straw to the small girls lips, which she happily accepted. He then pressed the call button to let the doctor know she had woken up. 

Meanwhile, Meredith was hysterically crying and hugging Dai, not to tight but tight enough Dai knew she was loved and missed.

"I love you babygirl, do you hurt?"

"hurt everywhere." Dai said now crying herself

"Derek, get the doctor, she needs more meds." Meredith said looking at him. Derek quickly left to go find the doctor, who he found rather quickly.

Dai had been given more pain meds which made fall back asleep. She was then taken for a follow up CT, which came back all clear. Her feeding tube was taken out and she was now gtting cuddles from her mom. 

"Mama and Dada missed you babygirl." Derek said stroking Dai's hair.

"me too." Dai said before falling asleep again.

"Meredith, come here, let her sleep." Derek said

Meredith carefully got out of her bed and walked over to Derek and gave him a huge hug. Derek picked Meredith up and she wrapped her legs around his waist and put her head in the crook of his neck.

"I love you Derek, you are amazing. I know you haven't been able to show much emotion because of me, but Derek, I really do love that you care. And don't be afraid to cry like a big baby in front of me, I do it in front of you all the time." Meredith said with her head on his shoulder

"I love you too Mer, I love our daughter, and I love that you are trusting me again." Derek said as he sat down on the couch and fell asleep with Meredith in his arms. Meredith fell asleep soon after, happy that everything was slowly falling into place.