Chapter 22

Meredith was ten weeks today. Derek and Meredith were getting ready for the day, sometime today they were going to tell Dai about the baby. Meredith was very achy, everything hurt. Even though she wasn't very far along, her muscles were sore. Meredith was in the bathroom leaning over the sink, trying to stretch her back. Derek walked over to her and started rubbing her back.

"What's wrong Mer?" Derek asked

"All my muscles hurt, it's like they are on fire."

"Oh ok, I thought you were sad." Derek said, slightly relieved

Meredith looked up and then Derek saw her red and puffy eyes. She had been crying, but it wasn't because she was sad.

"Mer, what's wrong." Derek said pulling into a hug.

"I'm not sad. Well I was, and then I started crying, then I got mad, then I got hungry, and then my back started to hurt. These hormones are driving me crazy."

"I know Mer, I am so sorry." Derek said still giving her a hug

"What are you sorry for? You have nothing to be sorry for." 

"Because you are in pain, I will always be here for you. I know I say this alot but I am glad I am here for this pregnancy."

"We should go tell Dai! It's her first day of kindergarten today too!" Meredith said pulling away and slowly walking to Dai room.

Derek quickly followed behind her. They got to Dai's room and went inside. Dai was sprawled out and blankets were everywhere, drool was falling from her mouth.

"Oh my isn't she just the cutest." Derek said 

Derek and Meredith walked up the edge of the bed and then Meredith started tickling her awake.

"mama hahahahaha" Dai said as she woke up

"We have something to tell you sweet girl" Derek said pulling Dai up into a sitting position. He sat on one side of her and Meredith sat on the other.

"am i in trouble?" Dai asked

"No you are not, the opposite really." Derek said

"oh, then what is wrong?"

"You are going to be a big sister! I have a baby in my tummy." Meredith said looking at Dai's face to try to see any reaction

"but i like being an only child." Dai said looking at her mom

"I know you do, but now you will have someone to play with and you will always have a friend." Derek said trying to convince the young girl that a sibling was a good thing.

"sooo it will always play with me?" Dai asked

"Yes, Dai. Your brother or sister will want to play with you." Meredith said looking at Derek with a smile.

"yay!" Dai yelled as she hugged Meredith stomach, she place a wet and slobbery kiss on her stomach too.

"Ok, let's get you ready for your first day of school! You are so smart already you get to start a year early!" Derek said seeing the pain in Meredith's face from being squeezed so tightly.

Derek picked up and went to her closest and pulled out some clothes for her to wear. Well Dai dressed herself, Meredith went down stairs rto start breakfast and left Derek to finish getting Dai ready.

Meredith poured some cereal and got some OJ for Dai and set it on the table. Derek and Dai came down shortly after and as soon as Dai was done eating, they were off to school.

The drop off line was hard for Mer. "Bye Dai, have fun!" Meredith whispered in Dai's ear as Dai hugged her legs.

"i don't want to do without you." Dai said as she looked up into her mom's eyes

"It will all be ok, you have a great teacher and you make friends quick. I will be back before you know it." Meredith said, trying to hold back the tears. She was over protective, she knew that but for some reason this was really hard for her. Leaving her with a teacher that she had barely met.

Dai gave her mom on last squeeze and then walked away, turning around to wave as she walked into her classroom, which was buzzing with kids and laughter.

"Come on Mer." Derek said, pulling Meredith back into the car.

"She's just so little!" Meredith said crying

"I know, but she is so strong like you, she will be fine." Derek said reaching over the middle and pulled her into a hug again. Derek knew that he was going to to do everything to protect his growing family.