Sneak Peek

Took a small little break for a day before I fixed and uploaded a little excerpt from the first chapter and a bit of the next.

Anyway-
Here's a little chapter you might enjoy! Hope you enjoy what you read of these characters!

*************

Neither of us uttered a word as we stepped outside the village. I nodded to the guards, twisting to wave goodbye to them as we got farther away. We were heading up a hill. We could see most of our village from here. The town square, the fountains, the Chief's residences, the markets, the training fields, the crop fields... my house.

I was feeling a little sad about leaving. That's what the silence was for. Everyone was feeling what I was. That's to be expected though. We've all lived here our whole life. I've stepped out maybe a few times with my father. He's always travelling, heading out to new places, on new missions with new people. People he didn't see for almost eight consecutive hours a day while training.

My heart twisted as I remembered mom's face this morning. I'd told her I was scheduled to leave next week. The bags had already been submitted a few weeks ago for inspection. Dad knew, of course, but he was out on a mission. We were a village of mercenaries. Whether it was the Immortal or the rest of world, fights would always break out. Blood would always be shed.

"So, how's everyone feeling?" Hana spoke up, slightly out of breath from climbing the hill.

"Not homesick so far." Pyr exhaled, looking up at the sky. "This is my first time leaving the village."

"Same here." Pippa whispered, head turned to look at the village. There were two spots of colour high in her cheeks. "I'm so scared... but I'm kind of excited too."

"I know what you mean." Pyr grinned. "It's exhilarating!" I laughed softly as she whooped, throwing her arms up in her air. Her violet eyes glittered with the exhilaration she was talking about. "So, leader, what about you?"

Leader? Oh right, me. "I have been out of the village a few times. There are some towns close by." I raised a hand, pointing east. "There's a bridge we have to cross to reach both though."

"And what then?"

"Well..." I looked at all three, hesitating slightly. "I figured we'll camp out. The money we have won't last if we hop from inn to inn."

"Sounds about right." Hana nodded, glancing at Pippa. "You're okay with that, right?"

"Oh, yes!" She nodded vigorously. "Yes! Whatever the leader says!" Seems like her excitement had trumped her fear.

I winced. "Don't call me leader. I'm not the leader. Called me Emrys."

"Uh, yes!" She kept nodding. "Emrys! I am fine with camping!"

I gave her a soft smile, turning to look Pyr. She shrugged. "Honestly, I don't care. Wherever you say."

I sighed softly. "I'm not the leader, guys."

"What then?" I looked down at Pyr. "What then?" She repeated, rolling her hand. "What after we reach the town?"

I reached up to scratch my head. "Let's take a few days before we take on any request. I want to see what all of you can do." I was coming up with this stuff on the fly. The few days should help come up with a pl-

"I don't think that's a good idea." I raised an eyebrow at Hana's instant rebuttal. "We're wasting time to mold you into the the Seer's Saviour."

Irritation crossed through me. "I don't want to be the Saviour." Not like I'm going to be saving anyone by dying.