5

Weirdly enough, being reminded that I was a bartender and I had a duty to fulfill fortified me a bit. My legs no longer shook when I left the washroom.

"Alright." I stepped back behind the bar with an angry pep in my step. Lou raised an eyebrow as I walked all the way up to him and slammed my hand down on the countertop. I met his eyes with the harshest glare I could summon. "What the hell is a demon?"

His other eyebrow went up too. "You did say your supernatural knowledge was limited, but I never figured it was this bad."

"Assume I don't know anything." Which I really don't. With both my hands on the counter, I leaned forward. "What is your purpose? What are you? Why are you here?"

Lou crinkled his nose. His brows dropped back down. "First of all, have a mint." My eyes moved to the hand he'd raised, there was a mint held in between two fingers. I hadn't even seen him reach for one. "And second, all of those are some very deep answers I don't think you need to know the answer to yet. Or ever."

I frowned at him, shifted to the side and snatched it from his fingers with just my teeth. Lou watched me quietly as I bit into the white shell. The strong essence of mint released both onto my tongue and into the air.

A smirk formed on his face. I was so tired of that. "I must admit, that was kind of hot." He leaned forward, inches separated us as he licked his lips. "What else can that mouth do, Ryleigh?"

I hate the way he said my name. I hated the fact that I liked the way he said my name. "Currently, it can ask angrier questions." I hissed and paused mid-action as something crossed my mind. "Thanks for the mint, but this somehow better not be some crooked deal you've got me into."

Lou snickered and rolled his eyes as he picked up his glass. "What would make you say that?"

"Because I find you sleazy and I don't trust you."

"Well, you're right about the second one. But ouch. Sleazy? Really?" He exhaled softly and shrugged after a short pause where I maintained my suspicious glare. "What?" He snapped after a while. "Changed your mind about going home with me tonight?"

"No. No, I haven't. Shut up." I chewed my lip as he took a sip of his drink. My gut felt off. "Somehow, I don't believe you."

He sighed once again. "Normally, a great idea. But right now, more bothersome than anything." Placing the glass back on the counter, he purposefully met my eyes. He spoke slowly. "I. Did not. Force you. Into a deal. Over. A. Fucking. Mint."

I didn't let go of my lip. "You did something. I can feel it."

"You can... feel it..." He repeated dryly.

My cheek was starting to feel raw. I was going to get nowhere with him on those case. Something felt wrong, but I couldn't explain it. It might be in his best interest to deny it, I don't know. I don't know anything! I can't be too careful with him... or whatever is sitting in front of me.

"Thanks for letting me know." I replied equally as dryly as I pushed away from the counter. I took two long steps over to my bag. The zip growled in the silence as I yanked the bag open and my hand found a roll of mint within seconds. Lou watched me quietly as I walked back up to him. He didn't hold out his hand when I extended mine so I dropped one mint onto the counter in front of him. "That's one repaid, and..." Another mint plinked onto the counter. "That's for the interest, if there's any."

Lou whistled lowly, eyes on the white mints on the counter. "I must say, that's the fastest loan I've ever had repaid. And I've been alive a while." He glanced at my face before quickly adding– "Not that you have any as I have repeated several times."