42.

The Hunters were following me. And now that I knew who they were, and they knew that I knew who they were, they weren't even trying to hide themselves.

I stepped outside my building, placing one earphone in my ear and turning down the sidewalk towards the restaurant, only to stop dead as I met the eyes of two familiar people.

"G-good morning." Sara smiled hesitantly up at me. The medium who'd talked about my mother the other day stood behind her.

My hand fell away from my ear as my mood instantly soured. "What is it?" I frowned, meeting his grey eyes.

"I thought we'd introduce ourselves." He smiled at me. His voice was weirdly soothing. "We've known you for a long time. You haven't. I'm Gray." I can see why.

I took an automatic step back as he held out his hand. The time for courtesies was over. My hand cut sideways through the air in an angry gesture. "No. No no. No. We are not doing this." His cordial smile fell. "Outside here- I do not know you. You do not know me either, because demons and angels know me."

"It's okay." Sara spoke up. "No one knows us, we're new."

"It's not okay. I-"

"Ms. Ryleigh." My head jerked to the side as the morning doorman cut me off. He smiled at the other party. "Is there a problem here?"

Silence. Both of us expected the other to speak up. I saw Sara bite her lip.

"Sir?" He asked again.

I met Gray's eyes, sighing to myself. "It's nothing, Asahi." I replied instead, turning his attention back to me. "They think I'm someone else. I was just turning them away."

"Ah, I see." Asahi nodded at me and then Gray. "Have a good day, sir, ma'am."

"Thanks, Asahi." I spoke as he turned away. "Now, if you two will excuse me, I have to leave."

Gray nodded, placing his hand on Sara's delegated shoulders. "We're sorry for disturbing you." There was irritation in his eyes as the two stepped aside. Like I care. I don't want them on my good side. I just need them to follow my instructions.

I shoved the earbuds in, moving past them without another word or look and starting on my way. It's been a while since I had a good day. Seems like it's going to be several more whiles before that happens.

I couldn't help myself from turning around at a stoplight to check if they were still following me. They still were. Sara even gave me a smile. They weren't even hiding. They were barely ten metres away from me. I've never had to check my back for followers like this, but were they even bothering to hide before this? I felt like an idiot. Out of all the useless powers I gained from Lou and Mike, why couldn't figuring out I have followers be one?

Dottie noticed my sour mood the moment I walked into the place. It's not like I was doing much to hide it. Through the glass window, I could see the two watching me from a bench across the street. I vaguely wondered if I could call the police on them. But the unwanted scrutiny on me would be like giving out a recording of what I was up to with the Hunters. I'd rather not die needlessly.

Or at all would be good too.

From what I remember of my death on my kitchen floor, I... I remember...

Nothing.

Nothingness.

An empty black. No feelings. No emotion. No pain. No sound or sight.

I shook my head to myself, replacing my earphones in my bag and ignoring the familiar brush of no longer rusty metal against my knuckles. I haven't held the knife since that night I hurt Mike and Lou. The screaming sound from cutting through the angel essence had been haunting. I got chills thinking about it.