13.

Where did they go?

What did they... Why did they fight over me?

What's wrong with knowing about them? It's not like I went out of my way to look for them. They came to me. I had no hand in this. I was just an innocent bystander who wanted to stay alive.

Angels... It's them. It's all them since the beginning. They're so annoying. Always trying to kill me or seduce me... I mean, that's Lou too, but atleast he flirts with me before. These angels know no boundaries. And they'll watch me even closely after Lou's reaction last night. His reaction to them trying to kill his me, his 'prey', was quite extreme. I didn't ge-

"Ryleigh!"

I jumped as Dottie's voice broke me out of my thoughts. "Huh?" I grunted.

"I've called you five times!" She replied exasperatedly, gray eyes filled with irritation. "The owner is coming today! Can you please clean up and restock! You're running out of whiskey and gin!"

"Right..." I replied slowly. I hid a yawn as I moved away from the counter.

"Oh for f-you didn't sleep last night, did you?" She placed her hands on her hip.

"No." I replied truthfully. I'd tossed and turned as I tried to figure out what had happened. Besides, everytime I closed my eyes I would start awake breathless. Fear would consume my limbs and my heart would beat out of chest. Whatever Lou had done wouldn't leave my mind, and it wouldn't let my body rest. "The upstairs neighbours were having a party."

"Didn't you complain?"Dotty frowned. I shook my head. She rolled her eyes. "Honestly, you're such a pushover."

"I did complain. They lowered the music, but they didn't stop dancing." I slipped out from behind the bar as moved to the store room. "You need something from the top shelf?"

"Get me a new bottle of window cleaner. Sasha's sponge is on its last legs so get that too." She shook her head as she fell into step beside me. "Should've just called the police."

"Too much hassle." I stretched my hands above my head as Dotty placed a stool in front of me. "Decided to finish up some shows, go for a run."

She gave me another exasperated look, one I just ignored as I climbed the stool. "Does Sasha have enough groceries? I want to go for a walk."

"I'll ask him to make a list. Just be back before your evening rush starts."

"Sure." I handed her the bottle she'd asked for. The lunch rush had sucked out whatever energy I'd regained since I came to work. I was in no mood to face customers now. I'd considered calling it a day after lunch until Dotty informed me that the owner would come by today.

I grabbed Sasha's groceries list from him, and yawned once more as I left the place. I really was exhausted. Maybe that run hadn't been a good idea after all.

The store wasn't far away. It was empty except for the two ladies at the counter. I gave them a cursory smile before I headed towards the produce department. We needed fruits. Sasha was out of the ingredients used to make the owner's favourite dessert.

He preferred to come in after the lunch rush to enjoy a huge meal of his own in the empty restaurant. Then he'd just sit at the same table the entire evening and watch the people around him up until I closed up. We'd gotten a few complaints once or twice from customers about him occupying the table without buying anything. Complaints would usually shit down once we Explained to them that he owned both the seat he and they sat in.

He was nice to us. To all of us. It was only three people here at that place but we were pretty good at our jobs. Dotty had a razor memory, Sasha was a speedy, efficient and good cook, and I kept the drinkers happy.