4

"You better be here tomorrow if you care about anyone who's ever set foot in this place, Ryleigh."

I... I'm trapped.

I can't leave. He won't let me.

My life, Dottie, Sasha, my regulars- all of them. He threatened all of them. My gut curled as he spoke. I had a hunch he meant it. I don't doubt he couldn't do it either. I might not know what he is but I do know he's cold enough to do it without batting an eye.

I raised my hand above me. I could see the ceiling of my room through my fingers. My shaking fingers... My shaking hand. I hadn't slept after I got home last night. It had been impossible to close my eyes.
In the darkness, all I saw was him-his real form when he'd come to my bar a day ago. It horrified me each time to think that the handsome stranger that had walked in could turn into that.

My phone buzzed beside me and broke me out of my thoughts. It was almost time to leave for work. He would come again tonight. He'd promised me he would. He'd threatened me with what would happen if I didn't turn up.

I don't know how long he intends to toy with me like this. I don't know how long my heart can take it.

Forcing myself up, I trudged to work again. I was cheery and bubbly the entire day so I wouldn't worry Dottie and Sasha again. I can't have them worry about me, they'll want to send me home. They did notice the bags under my eyes, but I brushed it away with ease. It didn't matter. Nothing mattered but the wait.

People came and people went. The lunch rush flew by, and so did the dinner crowd. It was last call again before I knew it. My hands started to clench and unclench under the bar even before he walked in. Eyes went to him, and those eyes stayed on him. He was the most pleasant thing to look at in the bar right now.

Right up until his switch was flipped. He wasn't human. He looked human. He looked like a beautiful human, but any attraction I'd felt towards him was dead.

"Good evening, Ryleigh." He smiled at me, with his perfect perfect teeth as took the same seat he had the last two times. "It's a beautiful night outside."

"Is that so?" Close hands, open hands. Close hands, open hands. "I wouldn't know. Haven't had a chance to go outside yet."

"Busy night?" He raised an eyebrow.

Close hands, open hands. "It's never a busy night apart from holidays or festivals. It's why we close at midnight."

"Makes sense." He nodded. "I'll take my usual, if you don't mind."

"Three of them again?"

"No. Not today." He leaned forward, elbows on the bar, dark eyes glinting cheerily. "I have a lot more time to spare today."

"Lucky me." Close hands, open hands. Grab a glass. I have to serve him.

"You don't know how much." His smile widened. "Oh, and I'll have some of those peanuts you keep."

"Sure." My hand slipped under the bar, grabbing a packet of peanuts and sliding it towards him.

He sighed as he looked at the packet. "The service in this bar is truly stellar."

I walked over to him to place down the glass of scotch. "There are always other bars you could go to."

Lou chuckled as he reached for the packet. "I'm sorry, Ryleigh. It won't be that easy to get rid of me."

I rolled my eyes on the way back to the register. "I'm not going to be holding my breath."

"It's better you don't." He replied easily. "This place has a certain charm to it. I think I'll stick around for a while."