14.

I walked Carl to the station for the last train back to his place as we talked about the bar. Accounts weren't up to me which means he was eventually bound to notice the increased expenditure on alcohol. I would have to ask Lou to keep his door open for humans that night and invite all the demons as well. I can't have him wonder what's going on when I can't even show the customer's presence.

The station was in the opposite direction from my apartment. Which meant it took much longer than usual to get back. I've gotten used to demon hours now while it stayed midnight in the human world. My body would always run on their time now to the point I couldn't pass out easily on my days off. But today, I think I'd be able to sleep. The terror from Lou's... anger yesterday had fizzled a bit.

I greeted the night guard and the receptionist on my way up. It felt good to be home early for once. While I was had started to get used to their presence, it felt nice to just be by myself for once.

Started to get used to...

I looked over my tired form in reflective elevator doors. Used to... right. I was back at square one with the entrance of those new fellows yesterday. Angels, backup for Mike— but did he really need others? Lou was harmless to them. He had done his fair share of jerking me around about as much as the angels... actually, it's more.

My body tensed up as I ran through everything he'd done to me. Rubbing my face tiredly, I stepped out of the lift and towards my apartment. I needed sleep, and now Lou's face was going to haunt me again. I was so tired of this.

Unlocking the door, I dumped my bag to the side as I moved towards the kitchen. I had some chocolate milk in fridge, that's all I needed before sleeping. There was absolutely no app-

"Hey, Ryleigh."

"Fuck!" I spat out, the clear voice rang through my not-empty apartment. I twisted to face a smug Lou at my kitchen island, chin in his palm as his finger tapped the marble.

"Good evening, Ryleigh. Or should I say good morning?"

"Go fuck yourself." I hissed as I closed the fridge door behind me to lean against it. My hand rose to press against my heart, I could feel it trying to thud out of my chest.

"Wouldn't that be a real miracle." Lou replied easily, amusement lined his handsome features.

I looked away from him to take deep breaths and calm myself. My exhaustion had vanished, but now my head was spun. I felt slightly nauseous.

"Is it possible to get a drink?"

"You'll only get a kick to the nuts at this hour."

"Oh, please. You normally serving drinks at this time anyway."

"Normally!" I snapped, my head turned to face him. Anger replaced my surprise. "I go home early one day, and you come here to torture me! Go away, Lou."

Lou scoffed. "I know you don't mean that." He smiled warmly. "Now, about that really well stocked mini bar..."

"No. You're not touching it." My legs shook now. "I don't keep open bottles of alcohol."

"Right, right." Lou sighed, the smile vanished into a dull look of boredom. "Your sobriety thing. How annoying."

"Yes, it's annoying. Now, please leave."

"I want a drink." He pouted. "Give me a drink."

"No. Shut up." I pushed off from the fridge to walk around the counter and stand beside him. "I'm serious, Lou. Get out. I'm not working tonight. I need sleep."

"Drinking with you is the only time of the day I can relax." Lou looked up at me to plead once more. "Come on, give me a drink, Ryleigh."

"No. I refuse." His face fell as I pointed at the door. "Get out."