24.

Trace froze right in front of me. There was a flash of pink once again amidst an aura that had been edged with red since the night began. "What?"

I shifted back a bit. His hand stayed on my waist and mine on his chest. His heartbeat started to slow. "Do you... not want this?" I asked again. My stomach twisted with worry. I don't know what I wanted to hear. "Should I... leave?"

"What?" Trace repeated, slightly dumbfounded. "What do you mean?"

"I mean..." my eyes flickered over him again. His aura unsettled me. What was that red? "You... don't seem like you're into it."

Trace cocked his head. His hand tightened on my waist. "Why?"

I shrugged. "You just... don't." I tried to keep my eyes on his face. His aura was really moving. "The way you acted in the hall, the look on your face now."

Trace scoffed. He turned his head to the side as he did. "That's not true. There's nothing on my face."

My fingers curled against his chest. Was that a lie? Was I really not seeing anything? "Is it me?" I blurted out the question that had swirled in my gut, but I didn't want to say. That one ends relationships.

And as I saw Trace's eyes widen at that, I felt my stomach sink further. This will be over pretty soon. Still not my shortest relationship, but this will hit hard. I'd been pretty into him.

Trace grabbed my shoulder. He leaned in with his green eyes wide open. "Ryleigh, it's nothing like that." I could hear the desperation in his voice. "I've been thinking about you for the last week. I've been waiting for this! I like you. I like you a lot, and... I'll be honest." He gave a tiny smile. "I'm a bit nervous. It's been a while, and I... I don't want to mess this up."

I cocked my head to look over his aura once more. His hands tightened on my shoulders. He leaned in, his green eyes begged me to understand him. "I'm serious, Ryleigh. I like you. I like you so much it... it scares me. It almost feels not right."

"Not... right?" He had me in his grip. I could feel his desperation. It was the only thing kept me from pulling away "Did I do something?"

Trace looked me over in silence for a few moments. He let out a soft laugh. "No... No, you didn't." The red tinges around his aura vanished, the yellows and pinks fading away into a plain blue aura. "It's not you, it's me."

I frowned up. My hand moved to grab the wrist of the hand still on my waist. "That sounds like a breakup line."

"It's not." He shrugged, now seemingly relaxed. "It's a shitty explanation for my idiocy." My eyes flickered to his lips as he leaned in. "I'm sorry... give me another chance."

My body tingled again. But my hand tightened on his wrist. He understood immediately and stopped inches from my lips. "Are you..." I spoke up hesitantly, my voice a soft whisper. "Are you sure you want to do this... with me?"

Trace chuckled softly. "Who else?" He whispered. His lips brushing against mine with those words right before he kissed me again.

His lips were soft, his body warm, his hands strong. It was better this time. No hesitation on his side, no confusion on my side. We picked up right where we left off with the heat building as the unending need in my body took over. Trace lips whispered against my skin as my fingers slid down his taut torso. I loved it. His scent, his feel, his body. I wanted more.

I whipped my shirt off, the short pause made Trace's lips move to my neck. His hands slid under my butt me to drop my back on the sofa. I gasped in pain as the remote dug into my spine. The TV's light flickered. It moved onto a very loud teleshopping channel where a cheery seller grinned at us.