Part 1 - Epilogue

"LOU"

Not here.

Not here?

Ryleigh isn't here?

I looked around the place. The familiar establishment was still filled with old geezers who should've dropped dead last week. But it also left no place to hide here. Not that Ryleigh is a very 'hide and seek' kind of person.

My eyes went to the man standing behind the counter. Clean-shaven, my height, blue eyes, and a calm aura. I don't like him.

He met my eyes, smiling at me before returning to his chores. Who does he think he is? I only want Ryleigh smiling at me like that.

Where is she?

I walked up to the counter, taking my seat as I continued to the look over the male standing behind the counter. My displeasure must have been visible on my face as the man laughed, before turning his attention to me. "Looking for Ryleigh?"

My irritation worsened. Don't say her name. "Yes, in fact. Where is she?"

He shrugged. "I don't know. I met her a week ago for an interview. Didn't expect to be called back, but I was." His smile widened. "Yesterday."

"Yesterday..." I raised an eyebrow. "Was her day off."

"Yes. She told me she takes Tuesdays off. What can I get you?"

"Whiskey. Neat."

"Got it." He turned away. Not as pleasant of a sight as Ryleigh. "You're another one of her regulars, eh?"

"Yes."

"I thought you're a new customers because..." He placed my tumbler in front of me, lowering his voice as he did. "You don't really fit the demographic, you know?"

"Oh, I know very well." I mumbled back. This ignorant idiot is the one who doesn't fit the demographic of the night. "So, when is Ryleigh coming back?"

Surprise crossed through his eyes, and I felt an unpleasant sensation in the gut of this human vessel. "She's... quit."

The unpleasant gut sensation came true. I took a sip to stall. "Quit? Interesting."

"You didn't know?" He asked, turning away to return to his dishes. "Rather surprising. I figured she informed all her regulars before leaving."

"No, she didn't." Like I would let her leave.

The bartender looked up again as the bell above the door rang. The foul stench of ozone filled my nostrils. "About time you got here, feathers."

He didn't reply. I barely turned my head sideways, watching him from the corner of my eye. He was staring at the bartender with his usual blank face. Blue eyes flickered to me, displeasure crossing through them, but the angel started making his way to his regular seat. "Not surprised to see you here." He greeted.

"I'm surprised your holy ass even showed up." I greeted back.

"I showed up because I figured you won't be here." His eyes flickered to the approaching bartender. "I didn't get my usual warning about you approaching Ryleigh."