55.

The angel looked me over, giving that dismissive look that Mike was famous for when he was new.

"You do not need to know." That must be in their training manual.

I leaned forward. "Yes. I do."

"This information is not pertinent to humans." His sneer was familiar too. "Clearly, that other angel has spoilt you too much. Crossed certain boundaries."

"Don't you dare blame Mi-"

"Answer her, feathers." Lou sipped his drink calmly, cutting me off. "Her anger might not mean much to you, but what about mine?" Surprise crossed through me as he said that. Lou was doing this for Mike?

I let my mouth fall shut, dismissing my anger as I met the angel's eye. He shifted a bit in his seat, the threat getting through to him. His blue eyes shifted between me and Lou, and I saw his demeanor finally change when he broke eye contact. "I was given orders to turn up tonight in his place if he didn't."

"And where is he supposed to be?"

"Investigating."

Lou cocked his head. "Investigating what exactly?" So, he didn't remember what Mike said last time.

My jaw tightened. I'd never told Lou about this. "He won't know. Mike didn't tell me either."

"Feathers talked to you about this and you never told me?"

"Didn't think it important." I pulled back, placing my arms across my chest. "We fought. I didn't want to relive it."

"I see." Lou turned his head to meet the angel's wary eyes. "Move away a few seats. I've gotten accustomed to the others idiot's scent, I'm not getting used to yours too."

The angel looked down. I thought he'd resist, but he stood up, heading a few seats down the bar to take a seat. Lou's nose twitched and he exhaled. "That's better. Now, stay there. And you-" Lou pointed at me. "Explain."

I shrugged. "I don't know much, Lou. All Mike said is he's investigating the town to check if it's a safe place for me. It wasn't sitting right with him."

"And the fight?"

A sigh escaped me. "He said he'd have to take me back to the city if something fishy turned up."

"Interesting. But..." Lou cocked his head. "What exactly is it that he's investigating?"

I grimaced, placing my hands on the counter. "It's hard to explain, Lou."

"Try." He replied, swirling his drink and watching me over the rim of the glass.

I figured he'd say that. Rolling my shoulders, I waited a moment to gather my thoughts before replying. "This place is a bit stifling. He mentioned if I felt anything because you once said I have good instincts, so I explained this to him."

"'stifling'?"

"That's the only way I can describe it." I shrugged. "He said you might not understand."

Lou frowned, throwing me an annoyed look. "Can you two stop assuming stuff about me? I'm just a simple demon."

"Who's way too overpowered to know what we're feeling."

"Oh. I see." He pulled away from the bar, finger pointing at me. "So, you two bonded over how weak you both are."

I sighed, turning away from Lou. So this is how it's going to be. "Sure." I knocked the wood in front of the new guy. "You need a drink?"

His blue eyes shifted over my selection. "I've never had one."

"Oh." I pulled back. "First time in a human body?"