26.

Both Trace and I were up till the time I had to leave. He'd decided to stay with me through the night. Through unanimous decision, after I convinced Trace and we went shopping for ingredients in the dead of the night, we'd made cake. And then we'd stayed up till the sun rose talking, eating cake and drinking hot chocolate.

I felt kind of bad for subjecting him to my new normal as I left. He had bags under his eyes, and was clearly exhausted. He's not getting any work done today.

I'd packed a set of clothes to wear to work so it didn't arouse any of Dottie's suspicions but the smile on my face from last night did.

Dottie smirked as she walked up to the counter. "Someone had a good night."

"More than good." No point in hiding it. I smiled at her, placing my hand in my chin as I leaned in to whisper. "We were up the entire night talking over cake and a hot drink."

"Hot drinks and hot moments, huh?" Dottie giggled, poking my forearm. "It's nice to see you like this. You've been off for the past few weeks."

"Yeah." I shrugged. "I really haven't been able to sleep well for a while."

"And sleep is affecting you that much?" My eyes flickered to her blue aura. Maybe that means intuitive. "I don't believe it. What's really going on, Ryleigh?"

I sighed, meeting Dottie's grey eyes. "Nothing is wrong." I almost felt like she could read my mind. It's surprising how well she could read me.

"There has to b-Coming!" She turned her head to side as she heard a customer call out. "We haven't had a chance to hang out in a while. Maybe your next day off?"

Days off with Dottie were indeed very therapeutic. I enjoyed them. Or rather I used to. But just the possibility that I might spilled everything over the comfort she exuded... I can't entertain it. Lou would kill me.

I scratched, my head giving her a sheepish smile. "I've already made plans with trace for that day. But how about I shut the bar early one of these days?"

"Well... I guess that's fine too. Miranda hasn't seen you in a while."

"Yeah, the kid must have grown so much."

"Yeah. She's practically taking care of me now." Dottie smiled sadly to herself, turning to walk away. "She's learnt how to cook without me."

There was a soft flash of yellow and pink in her aura. Confusion crossed through me but I didn't let it show on my face. What was Dottie feeling? Those colours were familiar. Trace had them. Dottie walked away before I could say anything, using my confused silence as a dismissal. I needed to figure this aura thing out. The only way I was able to read Dottie's was because I know her. The rest will have to be through studying.

Studying... that I gave up for bartending. This should be fun.

By the evening, I was none the wiser on what is going on because every damn site out there had a different version of it. And the two people I could possibly ask about it might be taking a vacation from the bar.

I had fifty tabs open when Lou walked in. My head shot up, and he paused in the middle of the bar, narrowing his eyes slightly. "What is it?"

"Why are you looking at me like that?"

"You look dead." He replied, eyes running over me. "You look good too, but you look slightly dead."

"Thanks, I like this shirt." I paused as he resumed walking towards his stool. "You're acting different today."

"Yeah." Lou sat down on his stool with a sigh, the universal sign for a huge drink. He didn't say anything else till I placed the drink in front of him. "Thanks." He mumbled.