CHAPTER NINE

Venus couldn't remember the last time she felt so uncomfortable anywhere, something about this stupid motel was very off putting to her. It was slightly reassuring that Lydia felt the same way she did though.

The brunette was lying on one of the motel rooms beds, watching Allison rummage through her bag and pulling out everything she needed for a shower. It was only a short few seconds of her in the bathroom when she came back out again asking the two other girls if they could get some new towels from the lobby.

•••

     "Who are your last two?" Scott asks his best friend quietly, as if someone would overhear them.

     "Lydia and Venus." the response makes the werewolf sit up straighter, furrowing his eyebrows at Stiles. "Lydia was completely controlled by Peter and had no idea and Venus, well we literally know nothing about what she is, this whole Nymph thing could be total bullshit for all we know. Like earlier today Lydia brought up that she had some kind of healing powers and she didn't even tell us she could use them, it didn't even look like she tried to heal you."

"Maybe they only work in certain situations?"

"I don't know man, but she hasn't told us everything."

•••

     "I'm telling you, Vee." Lydia speaks as they descend the staircase. "Somethings not right about this place, I can feel it."

     "I know what you mean." the brunette sighs, looking over at the girl. "There's so much strife in this place, its like its never felt any balance in its existence."

The girls pushed open the door to the main building, Lydia places the towels on the small counter area and calls out to the old looking woman behind it.

"Um, the card on the dresser in our room says its a non-smoking room," the strawberry blonde explains. "but somehow all our towels reek of nicotine."

     The old woman turns around to look at the girls and Venus was almost instantly distracted by the cannula sticking out of the woman's throat and diverts her eyes, trying to look anywhere except the woman as she speaks to Lydia.

In the process, her eyes caught sight of a strange number on the wall behind her, furrowing her eyebrows, she makes the move to ask about it.

"Excuse me, um, what's that number?" Venus asks, her voice coming out timid as she pointed out the sign.

   "It's kind of an inside thing for the motel. My husband insists on keeping it up." the woman sighs, a strange expression on her face, making Lydia take notice of the sign and glance at her in confusion.

"What do you mean?" the strawberry blonde questions.

"It's a little bit morbid, to be honest. You sure you want to know?"

"Tell us."    

     "We're not gonna make the top of anyone's list when it comes to customer satisfaction. But we are number one in California when it comes to one disturbing little detail." a sinister smile comes across the womans lips. "Since opening, more than any other motel in California, we have the most guest suicides."

     "One hundred and ninety-eight?" Venus chokes out the number in complete disbelief at how nonchalant the woman was acting and how casual this conversation was. All suicides.

I knew something was off about this place.   

     "And counting!" the woman cackles, Lydia quickly picks up the towels in one hand and grabs Venus' hand in the other, quickly making their way back to their room in the hopes of getting the hell out of this place.