CHAPTER TWENTY-ONE

Venus had gotten home earlier than usual that night, her dad was out with a few work friends tonight while she went over to Stiles' house for dinner. She quickly freshens up before crossing the street after checking the jeep was parked up front. Stiles opens the door, quickly pulling her into a hug and letting her through to their dining room.

"Venus, it's so nice you could make it." Noah greets, coming out of the kitchen with a large plate of lasagna.

"Thank you for having me." she gushes. "Do you want me to help you with anything?"

"Nonsense, you two just sit down and I'll be out in a minute." He retreats back into the kitchen, coming back with forks and plates for the three of them and sitting at the head of the table with both teens on either side of him. It was silent for a few minutes as they ate until Venus speaks up.

"The food's really good, Mr. Stilinski." she thanks the man, already halfway through her plate. "I haven't had lasagna this good in ages."

"Thank you, Venus." the man smiles at her, Stiles watching the two of them speak with a small smile. He hadn't had a nice sit down dinner with his dad in a while, it was nice to see him happy like this. "So tell me, what do your parents do?"

"My dad works at the bank downtown." she swallows, nodding her head at him.

"And your mother?"

"Dad!" Stiles hisses, nudging his father, who was clearly confused.

"No it's okay, uh, she passed away last year."

     "Oh, I'm so sorry, I had no idea." the man quickly apologizes, knowing exactly how she must be feeling, loosing his own wife all those years ago.

     "Don't worry about it, really." the girl gives him a reassuring smile. "I like talking about her, makes it feel like she's still here sometimes."

     Both of the Stilinskis look over at her with knowing smiles, thinking of Claudia too as she spoke. They finished their food, still talking, Stiles' dad didn't really understand the supernatural world yet so he clearly had a lot of questions, which Venus was more than happy to answer. He still couldn't really grasp what she was but he had gotten the general idea. Venus and Stiles had offered to clear the table while his dad went to work on some things from the station.

"He's been working a lot lately." Stiles explains, moving the plates into the sink as Venus began to rinse them. "You don't have to do that, you know."

"I'm being nice!" she laughs. "I'll rinse and you can dry."

"Fair enough."

They stand side by side at the sink, cleaning everything they used at dinner.

"So, what's he been working on? Or am I not supposed to ask?"

"No, he just thinks because he knows the full story now, he can solve a few cold cases."

Venus furrows her eyebrows as she turns to look at the boy next to her. "He's gonna drive himself crazy trying to do that."

"Yeah, tell me about it." Stiles scoffs. "There's this one he found from eight years ago, he really thinks he can solve it."

"Well, maybe I can help. Payment for dinner if you will." She turns off the tap as they finish washing everything, drying her hands on the paper towels.

"The dinner was already payment for saving our lives." Stiles laughs, leaning against the sink.

"I don't see it that way and you know it."

Stiles nods his head at her, giving her a wide smile. He couldn't help but notice how blue her eyes were and how well they contrasted her brown hair.