CHAPTER TWENTY-FIVE

Venus had gone back to Stiles' house that afternoon, he was still trying to figure out why they couldn't find Barrow today and she had offered to help. Stiles was hanging up a few things on his board while she sat criss crossed on his bed, playing with his strings.

She was watching his hands move across the wall as he pinned up different things, spotting her old year book picture on one of the ends next to the word sacrifice. Walking up next to him, she points it out with a small laugh.

"You seriously thought it could've been me making those sacrifices?" she asks, her eyebrows raised in amusement.

"Okay, well, in my defense, we didn't know anything about you yet." he argues, his features holding a small smile. "You're welcome to take it down if you want."

"I wouldn't want you crying about not having a picture of me in your room. Even if it is a disgusting year book photo."

His eyes trail her as she walks back to his bed, sitting in the same position as before; his brain not allowing his mouth to utter the words he really wanted to speak. To tell her that she looked beautiful no matter what, but he couldn't do it.

"Cute socks." he points at her sock-clad feet, attempting to distract himself with the white ones with little hearts she had chosen for today.

"Hey! I thought they were cute." she laughs throwing a small bundle of yarn at him. Stiles dodges it with a laugh before turning back to his board. "So what are the different colors for anyway?"

"Oh, just different stages of the investigation." Stiles explains, turning sideways to look between her and the board. "So green is solved, yellow is to be determined, blue's just pretty."

"What's the red for?"

"Unsolved."

"You only have red on the board."

"Yes, I'm aware. Thank you."

"So did coach give you detention?" her hands play with the bottom hem of her jeans as she continues watching him look around his board.

"Yep." he sighs, tapping his pen. "Every day this week. It's okay, though. We were onto something."

"It's weird though, how we couldn't find any proof of him being there."

"Yeah but Lydias never been wrong when something like this happens." Venus nods, picking the yarn back up and twisting it around her finger. Stiles moves away from his board and takes a seat next to her on the end of his bed, making her turn to face at him.

"You figure out what that feeling you got meant?"

"No." Venus huffs, meeting his gaze. "It's still there though, faintly, but it's there. I just hate that I can't figure these things out easily, mom used to have things like this done within a few hours."

The way she whispered her last few words made his heart ache in his chest. He takes hold of both of her hands, beginning to unwrap the string from around her fingers as she spoke. But the moment he touched her, her breath hitched and she froze.

"Like I told you a few nights ago, you'll figure it out." He speaks lowly, placing the string aside but not letting go of her fingers. "Even if the trees won't talk to you."

They both laughed as he mocked the way she spoke to him a few nights ago; no matter how true it was, it always sounded crazy. Their laughter had died down a few seconds later, their eyes meeting, and they just looked at one another for a minute. Each of them silently admiring the person across from them.