1

Alex rarely left her room at Grimmauld Place. Aside from not being bothered to be around so many people (and there were a lot), she especially didn't want to be around Sirius Black. She hated him, and hated that no one but her hated him and he was just a good outlet for all the rage she was harbouring. He was there and he was someone she could presently hate in that moment.

The first few times she bumped into him- times when Hermione managed to force her out of the room to stretch out her legs up and down the stairs, or when she needed the toilet- he'd said nothing. He let her avoid him. But eventually, he spoke up.
Alex was on her way to the bathroom to have a shower, holding her towel, change of clothes and toiletries in her arms when she ended up in his path.
"Can we talk?" He asked but she remained impassive, and said nothing. "Please?"

"I'd rather not. It's bad enough I have to stay here." She glared at him. "And I'm only here because it's the safest place for my parents and they wouldn't let me stay home alone."

"Okay. Harsh, but honest."

"Huh, you can recognise that?"

"I've never lied to you."

"No, you just let me think you were a dog and harmless and let me trust you."

"I am harmless."

"Says the fugitive."

"Wrongfully convicted."

"Self admitted to attempted murder at the age of sixteen."

"Blown out of proportion."

"Of course. Because what is attempted murder to an alleged murderer?"

"Framed!"

"I don't care!"

"What do you even know about Snivellus?"

"I know that that's not his name and I know that for a supposed adult, you're rather juvenile. You could at least pretend to be sorry for trying to kill him. It's the decent thing to do." He looked annoyed.

"Don't you hate him? You always complained."

"Ask Hermione what she thinks about that. I don't want to waste any more time talking to you." Alex glared and pushed past him. Discouraged, he walked away and saw Hermione on the landing.

"That's the most she's said all summer." Hermione told him.

"Good to know she hates me that much."

"She doesn't. I mean, she does hate you, but not as much as you think. Some of the venom behind her words is just her trying to cope with Cedric's death."

"So what did she mean to ask you what you think about her complaining about Snape?"

"She insults people she likes sometimes. It's her thing. She's probably used every insult in the dictionary plus some against me. She used to tease Cedric the most. She calls Luna loony, and picks dumb fights with Megan on a daily basis." Hermione said. "She also insults people she doesn't like, but there's a heat behind her words."

"So she likes Snape?"

"He's her favourite teacher. Possibly favourite adult."

"What about you?"

"I'm her favourite person."

"I mean what do you think of Snape?" Sirius clarified. Hermione shrugged.

"He's a good teacher. I learn a lot. And while he's not my first choice of who to go to, I don't hate him. He let me do some extra work when he taught Alex defense, so he's kind of okay."

"I get the feeling Harry doesn't agree?"

"Well, they don't like each other." Sirius nodded.

"Thank you." Hermione shrugged and turned away.

It was a lesser known fact that when Hermione couldn't get Alex to do something, there'd be someone else who could. So when Hermione returned downstairs for dinner, with another rejection to eat with everyone else, Ginny volunteered to try. Needless to say, everyone was surprised to Alex trailing after her.
"Oh, hey. Who are you?" Fred joked. She glared threateningly and he raised his arms. "Alright, katana, wand. You're deadly, I get it." She slumped into her seat. There were some of the order members present.

"Katana? That's some kind of sword, right?" A green haired lady asked. Alex shrugged.

"Alex is pretty good with it." Hermione said.

"Feel free to use my mother's painting as target practice." Sirius chimed in and Alex gave him the stink eye.

"So, dinner." Ginny attempted to change the subject. "Yum."

"Your father and I need to speak to you later, Alex. When he gets home." Her mother told her. Alex just shrugged.

"Someone's in trouble." George whispered in a sing song tone. Alex narrowed her eyes at him.

"That someone'll be you if you're not careful."

"Scary." Fred said sarcastically. Hermione was quick to put a hand on Alex, stopping her from getting up.

"Ignore them." Alex sighed and turned to Ginny.

"Sorry, can't control the twins." Ginny apologised.

"Yeah, it's okay. But how do you feel about having quadruplets for brothers?" Alex fell into the familiar banter and Ginny beamed. The twins scooched away.

Alex pushed her food around in her plate occasionally listening to Hermione and Ginny when they had something to say. "Try to actually eat something." Hermione whispered and Alex shrugged as seemed to be her only mode of communication lately. She should've known Hermione would pick up on it. "I will tell your uncle the next time he comes if you don't."

"Did he come today?" Alex asked and Hermione nodded.

"Yeah. He was here longer than usual."

"How did he look?"

"Normal." Hermione shrugged. "So eat, or I'm going to tell him you haven't been and add to his stress." Alex tried harder to keep her food down.

A/N- favourite line... it's more of a favourite moment. "Feel free to use my mother's painting as target practice." Sirius chimed in and Alex gave him the stink eye. Lol, she'd rather use him as target practice for her katana than his mum's painting 👀