17

Okay, cloning was so farfetched and honestly Harry was so gullible. It scared Alex that this was the boy who defeated her grandfather. Numerous times. Still, she was thankful it worked. An hour before the detentions she went to the corridor between the Slytherin dungeons and the Hufflepuff basements, circlet in hand. She took a seat on the ground.

"Okay, it's time we had another talk. It's been months since I asked if you would get off my head, and you did and I told you I would put you back on one day when I was more ready, right?" Well, obviously, it didn't speak back. "So I'm ready now. I want to take down Voldemort and I need your help. But that's not going to be for a while. I still need to practice and get used to you. Now, I'm going to put you back on. But I need you to not get stuck on my head. Because that's going to terrify me. I'm never going to put you back on if you scare me. Do we have a deal?" Without stalling any longer, she put the circlet on her head, breathing in and out as the energy flowed through her body.

Alex stood up. "Okay, I need to look like Harry Potter. He's dorky, dark hair- untameable. Green eyes, glasses. Seriously very, very dorky." She felt herself grow slightly shorter, an inch or two. She reached for her now short hair, running a hand through it. "Okay, now to make sure I actually look like him," she lit up some more sconces ensuring maximum light with the corridor and conjured a full body length mirror. "He really doesn't appreciate how much blackmail material I let go to waste for him." She said, before adjusting her uniform into a more masculine version. Trousers, instead of a skirt, the jumper they wore. Once satisfied with her overall appearance she turned to her arm, and focused the circlet's power to add the 'I must not tell lies' scar. The circlet atop her head melted from view, glamoured to stay hidden. "Okay, I think I pull Harry Potter off better than he does. Now to go to detention."

Alex reached Umbridge's office, trying to pull off a 'Harry Potter' vibe. It wouldn't do if Umbridge thought something was wrong. She slumped a little, arranged her face into a mix of righteousness and indignation. It was really exhausting.
"Mr Potter, come on in." Umbridge said with a predatory smile. Alex walked in. There was a quill and parchment already set for her. She sat at the table. "You know what to do." Alex sat quietly and wrote out the lines. She hissed as the first line carved into her arm. Umbridge looked smug and Alex avoided looking at her, and just kept writing.

She wasn't let go until past midnight. She left the office and snuck down past the Hufflepuff rooms and to the corridor. Once she was sure she was alone, she took off her circlet and sat on the ground by her supplies. She began dabbing at her wound with a wet cloth.
"Vulnera Sanentur." She tapped at her wound with her wand and watched as her wound stitched itself together, leaving an incredibly faint scar. She covered it with a paste and bandaged up her arm before heading to her room.

"What did you do?" Hermione confronted her the next day. Alex shrugged in confusion. "I know the clone spell you told Harry about was total bogus. But Umbridge isn't out for his blood, so you did something. What did you do?"

"It's a spell I learned at Mahoutokoro-"

"Nice try, Alex."

"I obliviated Umbridge and planted false memories in her mind."

"Alex!"

"Just don't worry about it." She shrugged Hermione off. "Harry's fine, and Umbridge is none the wiser."

"You're hiding something, and you only do that when you know I'll disapprove." Hermione frowned. "Let me see your arm."

"My arm?"

"Yes." Alex rolled her eyes and pulled up the arm sleeve. Hermione inspected the her forearm closely, before letting go. She looked at Alex suspiciously but nodded. "Fine, matter dropped."

"Thank you. Now can we get back to potions?"

"Why are you doing it if you'll never hand it in?"

"So I know for sure that I can do the work."

"You already do."

"Whatever. How am I suppose to just be rude to him? What else am I supposed to do? Mess up mine or other potions? That could end in actual disaster! And there's only so many times I can skive off."

"You could make fun of him like everyone else. Except do it to his face."

"I'm not calling him names to his face. It's like seeing a warning, slippery floor ahead sign and deciding to run across it. I may be insane, but I'm not absolutely mental."

"He did tell you to."

"Yeah, but there's being clearly angry and then there's poking a beehive."

"If he needs you to at least pretend to be angry at him, for your protection, do you think that's why he hates Harry?"

"I think it's one reason, maybe even the main reason. He'd probably be a lot more professional towards Harry if it wasn't for Voldemort, but I don't think there's a chance Harry would have ever been his favourite student. I think he was harsh to Harry from the start, and has spent years hating him and evoking the hatred he had towards Harry's dad and aiming it at him, as evidence for Voldemort. But it isn't so easy to let go of that anger either." Alex said carefully. "And that he's probably doing the same for many students who come from a light background."

"I still think you should probably call him names. Do that thing you do where you just casually drop insults."

"The actual insulting bit isn't hard. I'd be okay with it, it's just the whole being rude in front of an audience thing. And it's not like I'm allowed to be near him outside of class so I have to do it in front of an audience."

"Yes, but he gave you permission. In fact he literally asked for it."

"Could you imagine disrespecting McGonagall in front of your class?"

"Point taken." Hermione shrugged. "Sorry, fresh out of ideas."

"Maybe I could give Harry polyjuice and set him on Snape. He'd have no qualms about it." Hermione let out a laugh.

A/N- Yeah, she loves him way too much to be rude to him in front of people. She respects him too much to undermine him like that, lol.

Favourite line is "He really doesn't appreciate how much blackmail material I let go to waste for him."