19

The day of the Hogsmeade trip, Alex opted to stay behind, instead. She'd passed along Hermione's message of the meeting in Hog's Head and of a defense class that Harry would be leading to her Hufflepuffs and encouraged them to go. To at least hear what he might have to say. Megan wanted to stay behind but Alex swore she'd just be in the library doing work. Megan eventually agreed and left. She did go to the library, sitting up front, rather than the usual nook she had once claimed her own. She was there for only a little longer before catching sight of Blaise. He walked over to sit beside her.
"I never see your pale shadow with you anymore." She said. "Did you two break up?"

"Where's your Gryffindor pet?" He countered. She ignored the insult aimed at Hermione.

"Hogsmeade. I didn't want to go. Seriously though, what happened with Draco? He's always hanging out with Nott and the minions. Does he have no standards anymore?"

"Apparently not."

"Pun intended?" She teased and he grinned.

"Draco's facing pressure from his parents and I wasn't helping." Blaise admitted. Alex nodded.

"Right."

"What are you formulating? What is that? Plans for a potion?" Alex snapped her book shut.

"No." Blaise raised his brow. "It's private, Zabini."

"Back to last name?"

"Nah, not permanently." She said. "What brings you to the library?"

"References for defense. Umbridge isn't teaching us, and honestly with the way things have been at Hogwarts for the past few year, I'd like to be able to defend myself."

"Look up the ones near the charms section. It's not technically under DADA but I find them really helpful." Blaise stood.

"Thanks. Be back." He left. Alex opened up her Herbology book.

Blaise came back soon enough, with a stack of books. "Do you think Potter's telling the truth?" Alex nodded.

"Yes."

"You think you-know-who came back and killed a student?"

"Fake Moody admitted to entering Harry into the competition and making sure Harry ended up taking the trophy. He never expected Cedric to too. Viktor was supposed to take care of him." Alex said. "Besides, why would he lie?"

"I don't know. Attention?"

"The daily prophet also said Hermione was stringing Harry along and playing on his feelings, while also taking advantage of Viktor Krum. I'm sorry, which is more believable. A glorified gossip magazine or Dumbledore?"

"They say he's gone senile. You have to admit he's odd."

"Of course he's odd. It's Dumbledore. Being odd doesn't mean you're crazy."

"So you believe Harry?"

"Yeah." She sighed. "What about you?"

"I don't know. You make some good points."

"Why do you think Draco's parents have been pressuring him about his friendships at Hogwarts?" Alex saw realisation dawn on his face.

"Is that why you've been avoiding us?"

"No, I've been avoiding everyone. I don't care about his parents. And Draco is a friend, so until he makes his choice and pledges himself to Voldemort, I'm going to give him the benefit of the doubt. He might not follow in his parents footsteps."

"Aw, you really like us."

"Haven't made my mind up about you yet." She countered, slightly smiling. He grinned back.

"Nice hair. Why'd you cut it?"

"I thought it'd look nicer this way. What do you think?"

"Me? What makes you think I have an opinion?"

"You're the vainest person I know."

"I'm the prettiest person you know. Draco's the vainest."

"I think you two tie for vanity." She said.

"I'm still the prettiest person you know, though, right?" He pressed.

"And you say Draco's vain."

"Alex? I am though, aren't I?"

"I can't answer that. If I say no, you'll probably pitch yourself out of the astronomy tower. If I say yes, I'll be inflating your ego."

"I wouldn't jump off a tower. What, you expect me to ruin my moneymaker?" Alex actually laughed out loud.

"You're definitely vainer than Draco." She told him. "I thought you came here to do work."

"I came here to find books to do work later."

"But you're already here with nothing else to do."

"There are stages to doing work. Step one, planning. I have the books I need so I can relax. Tomorrow I'll read. The next day I'll practice." She didn't look impressed. "We don't all dive headfirst into work, you know. Some of us procrastinate first. It's a process."

"So what are you going to do?"

"Figured I could just stay here. Annoy you."

"What's stopping me from hexing you?"

"You don't hex your friends."

"Don't test me."

"Okay, really. Why on earth did the hat sort you into Hufflepuff?"

"Something about loyalty."

"You'd make a formidable Slytherin."

"Apparently I lack the ambition required. Besides, I like Hufflepuff."

"You'd also be perfect for Ravenclaw."

"You can have more than one trait, you know."

"Alright, if I wasn't Slytherin, what would I be?" Alex narrowed her eyes and stared.

"Not a Ravenclaw. You're not patient, you hate hard work, but you're pretty loyal I suppose. Still, I don't think Hufflepuff's a good fit for you either. Maybe Gryffindor. You're very impulsive, and you've got a lot of nerve."

"I'm not a Gryffindor." He looked disgusted.

"You have some of their traits."

"You've lost your mind." He said.

"Why are you really here? Why didn't you go to Hogsmeade with your latest fancy?"

"Snape banned me from this week's trip." He admitted.

"Why?"

"I'd rather not say." Blaise avoided her gaze.

A/N- I love Alex and Blaise's friendship, lmfao. Favourite line is "I never see your pale shadow with you anymore." She said. "Did you two break up?"

Alright, got requests for what Alex's hair would have been like after the cut. So this is sort of what it would look like after Pansy got to it. I couldn't really find one that would show her exact length, but imagine the picture below, with a few inches shorter. Like up to her mouth length.

 Like up to her mouth length