26

"Hello, Ronald." Alexandra slipped into the seat next to her brother during Herbology. He looked at her suspiciously.

"No, I'm not following you into the woods again." He said immediately.

"What?"

"What?"

"I just said hello."

"Hi." He replied. Alex pulled out her books and faced the front of the class in confusion. A second later she turned back to him.

"Why would we go into the woods?" She asked.

"We aren't going into the woods."

"You said you wouldn't follow me again. Why?"

"Slip of the tongue. I forgot you lost your memories."

"Okay, but what did I do to scare you away from the forest?" Ron looked at Hermione and shrugged.

"Nothing." Alexandra glared at the muggleborn Gryffindor sitting on the other side of her brother.

"Really? Did you talk to everyone about what they can and can't tell me?" She said.

"I don't know what you're talking about." Alexandra rolled her eyes and turned back to her lesson.

Alexandra wasn't really sure how she could be friends with Hermione. Everyone told her they were close, but the girl was irritating. She refused to tell Alexandra anything, even going so far as to stop other people from answering her questions truthfully and just completely acted like Alexandra was a child who couldn't look after herself.

She decided to confront her. They were in the library together- Hermione had begun to stick around more often ever since Alexandra's exploits with the Slytherins.
"Why can't you stand me?" Alexandra asked.

"What on earth are you talking about?"

"You don't like me. You're only here because you don't want me to spend time with Draco and Blaise. I'm not an idiot, you know. If we're supposed to be best friends, why do you act like you can't stand me? Is it because I ask too many questions? Or because I'm nothing like the girl you knew? You never call me by my name."

"I don't dislike you." Hermione assured.

"Could've fooled me." Alexandra crossed her arms. Hermione blew out a frustrated breath.

"Fine, it is weird. I knew a different Alex. A very different you." Hermione looked upset. "I don't hate you, though. I'm happy for you. The Alex I knew was sad and now you're not. I'm not going to hate you for that."

"So why are you so... distant?"

"You know, I think you rival even Harry in hospital wing visits." Hermione said. "I've been scared for you and your health more times than I can count. But none of that was as scary as seeing you in that hospital wing last week."

"I wasn't hit by a bludger, was I?" Alexandra asked and Hermione shook her head.

"I don't want to talk about what happened."

"Was it an accident? Were you there?"

"No. We found you after." Hermione said. "I'm not talking about this any more."

"But why?"

"Because I don't want to. So stop it."

"Why don't you want me to be friends with the Slytherins?"

"You can be friends with the Slytherins as long as it's not Malfoy and his lot."

"Why?"

"Because they're not safe to hang out with. At least before, you knew what you were getting into. And you could protect yourself."