33

Just as she thought, Snape had ushered the entire class out and rushed out himself amidst excuses of needing to be elsewhere, not giving Alexandra the chance to try to speak with him.

"What are you planning?" Charlie noticed as Alexandra was lost in thought. She shrugged.

"Who says I'm planning anything?"

"Last time you looked like that, Danny ended up with most of his hair cut off."

"What?" Alexandra jerked in shock and Charlie grinned.

"He deserved it, of course. He dumped red paint all over you and there were flecks of paint in your hair for a week."

"So I cut his hair off?"

"You made him cut it off. It was all very sneaky and cool. Of course you got into trouble and Dumbledore made you bring some unicorns out and help Grubbly-Plank in Care for a week, but it was worth it."

"Hey, what's the story about the hippogriff?"

"Um, Malfoy made a fuss after provoking Buckbeak and tried to get him executed or something, but Malfoy Senior changed his statement or something and Fudge was going to ship Buckbeak off to be a trained guard or something somewhere but Buckbeak got free and disappeared. Coincidentally, this happened on the same night that Black disappeared from a seventh floor office with a locked door."

"Sirius Black? Wasn't he a mass murderer?"

"Allegedly, but yeah. He escaped Azkaban, and came to Hogwarts. He scared the black lady and broke into the Gryffindor commons and stuff. Third year was a weird year. Great thing was that we had a decent teacher, for once. But he turned out to be a werewolf."

"You also needn't worry about Lupin. Somehow the fact that he's a werewolf got around. He's resigned."

"You didn't have to do that." Alexandra winced at the harsh pain in her head.

"My duty is to my students, and to you. So I did what was necessary."

"I know you enjoyed it." She heard herself say. "But thank you. I admit I do feel better that he's not coming back."

"How did everyone find out about Lupin being a werewolf?" She asked.

"I think Snape started the rumour. Is it a rumour if it's true?"

"Snape." She muttered to herself. "It was him."

"Alexandra?"

"I have to find Hermione." She jumped up and rushed out. She knew the Gryffindors were coming out of their transfiguration class.

"Hey, where's the fire?" Hermione asked as she almost crashed into the trio.

"I need to talk to you." She said.

"Why is this so familiar?" Ron asked.

"Shut up, Ron. Everything okay?"

"I think I remembered something. About Snape-"

"Okay, let's go." Hermione grabbed her hand and led her out to the lake.

"It was him, wasn't it? I said I'd be an adult in sixteen months, and a man said as long as I was a teenager, I'd be a child. I thought it was my dad. It seemed kind of paternal, but it wasn't, was it? It was Snape. I know, because I just remembered Snape admitting he was the one telling everyone Lupin was a werewolf. It's the same voice. The same tone. It's him. But sixteen months before my birthday was August. That's well into the summer holidays. Why would I be talking to Snape? And why would he be so... was I close to him?"